Thread: a question about diffs

Rides

a question about diffs

Some of you who i have on facebook will know that i managed to break the diff in the 200. After stripping it all down it turns out the front pinion bearing has siezed and has rendered the diff scrap.
    I have been offered a welded diff that will fit (non abs short nose) but it has been welded. Im not 100% sure id want a welded diff in the car so it got me thinking.

if i was to buy the welded diff could i swap my good vsld internals into the welded diff casing by swapping the welders crown wheel onto my good vsld?

if so would i reuse the shims off the welder when building things back up? I know you should really buy new shims and redo everything but that will have to wait for another day.

anyone got more experience and knows what im talking about?

Rides
    Just swap the lsd unit and ur done.

Rides
    but are the crown and pinion wheels not a matched pair?

Rides
    If your using the welders case and pinion use the welders crown and bolt it onto VLSD pumpkin. Crown and pinion must match. Divide the numbers stamped on the crown separated by : to figure out the ratio.

Out of the 3 diffs I have mixed and matched, 2 were within spec for backlash once swapped, one was a tad loose. You should definitely check the backlash and teeth pattern regardless though and save the hassle of pulling it off again, especially with your monster. Easy enough to do with 30 quids worth of tools.

Rides
    i had an s13 diff in an s14a casing.. ive also had a s15 diff in the same casing... just swap the crown gear onto your diff.. and make sure there was no damage done to the smaller gears in your diff...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by big_mac View Post
    but are the crown and pinion wheels not a matched pair?
    Unbolt the crown wheel off ur lsd and use the crown wheel from the welder and put it into the welders casing so the cwp are still matched up

Unless im spouting crap all u need to do is swap the lsd unit.

I even swapped a cwp without shimming and lining it all up. Its not ideal but hey 2 years on its still ok.