Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dai YRV Turbo - Crazy smallness and geek content inside

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides

Dai YRV Turbo - Crazy smallness and geek content inside

So the SX is knackered. Primarily due to short commutes. So its now on the drive awaiting its fate.

Meanwhile its replacement is another kinda crazy that ticks all my boxes . I needed run around that will keep me happy but not break either itself or the bank while we beat this Cancer and send it packing.

5dr for the girls. Auto sequential so Gwyn can play too. Flexible boot. It's mental, odd and super rare....only 205 were imported and last estimates reckon 180ish are still on the road in the UK

Boosh!

Daihatsu M201G (YRV) Turbo 130.
    1.3 with an IHI turbo and tiny TMIC added.
    127hp quoted stock power
    125lb/ft quoted stock torque
    Real world 0-60 ~8s
    Top end is more than enough.
    Kerb weight is a featherweight 930kg
    Combined MPG is ~40
    Tuning wise 180hp is easy and reliable to achieve

Only Modification at purchase
    BK Racing 333 High Power Black - 15x6.5 4x100 et38

It needs some tidying up and new wheels are a must But it just flew through an MOT and came with a 3mth full parts and labour warranty from a garage with a good reputation

Mega thanks shout to Mark_clio2 for giving it the once over last week

Then to my dad for handling the testing and purchase process I get to drive it in a couple of days but dad took me out in it this afternoon and its totally bonkers!

*December 2016 - Now in the caring hands of TinnySteve*

Rides
    *like*

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Glad you're happy with it mate
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Nice. 180hp and 930KG is handy, particularly when you and Gwyn have the weight saving mods that you have

Tell me what wheel specs are and Ill hunt something down for you, Im missing being a wheel whore these days
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Will be once its tidied up dude. Need to get some flyeye tint film from somewhere as a priority to lose the Lexus lights

Rides
    Very cool!

Rides
    Love these..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Nice. 180hp and 930KG is handy, particularly when you and Gwyn have the weight saving mods that you have

Tell me what wheel specs are and Ill hunt something down for you, Im missing being a wheel whore these days
    Thanks dude but can't afford to spend on wheels for it at the mo. Going to just paint them for now and cover the fake CF inserts

Rides

Rides
    Like it. Get the boost upped Ste!

Looks a lot like my old Glanza V from the front, pretty sure they have "borrowed" toyota's design there lol.

Flamethrower
    Rides
    I genuinely thought it was a glanza

Rides
    Glanza for the man that's grown up

I like it, can't see why they never sold it over here

Rides
    Haha. Basically yeah it's a Glanza for Daddy cool.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The name is short for "Young Recreational Vehicle"... Described by Jeremy Clarkson as "unimaginative junk, with no soul, no flair and no passion"
    No surprise nobody bought one with brochure shots like this

There were also some funky Sirion Rally models around the same time

Rides
    Yeah they are a bit odd. It's does need some toning down. First on my list is flyeye film to lose the lex lights

The Sirion Rally 2 is a real pocket rocket

Rides
    So a week after getting it, I drove it for the first time tonight. Holy sheeet this thing shifts

Also I have been doing some digging to get more idea of what I have already and where to go from here.

The current wheel specs are as follows...
    As they are they are a little bit But covering the fake carbon inserts will do for now
    BK Racing 333 High Power Black - 15x6.5 4x100 et38 - http://www.bkracing.co.uk/_shop/prod...roducts_id=178
    The backs are rather adjacent to the arms for my liking, so going to apply my spare 15mm slip-ons to them so as to sort that out.

Stuff that needs sorting -
    The standard head unit - Just plain bobbins SO feel free to point me at a good bluetooth head unit. With plenty of storage trays going in the thing double-din is damn tempting
    The aerial is far too damn long. RC car much SO a low key tidy stubby is on its way
    Because of the unwise decision to apply vinyl to sill areas on the part of the Daihatsu importer. It's a bit on the scabby side where water settles . Needs a quick sorting
    The lexus style lights, I was going to tint, but they are starting to grow on my after looking at the car in different light and from a lot of angles they work a lot better than my brain originally thought. Jury is still out though .

Then the big question....
    a) Geek interior? The SX I went retro gaming with space invaders - This time I'm thinking maybe Marvel or Lego Star Wars themed.
    b) Super classy interior? Selective piano black wrapping
    c) Why bother? To wrap....or not to wrap?

Rides
    No offence but those BK wheels look shit, 4X100 is MX-5 and old VW territory, so naturally you've got some decent choices. Rota or XXR will be able to provide something much nicer.

Get an Alpine headunit in there, their blutooth enabled one is like 100 notes now if you shop around.
    I wouldn't do anything with the interior if it's going to cart kids around, it probs won't be long before it's hanging off and then someone will start picking and peeling it.

Rides
    I want.

Rides
    If it's of any interest to you, I'm selling my Kenwood DNX-7200. As new, fully boxed, only used for about 6 months. It 's double din, CD/DVD/Garmin Sat Nav. Comes with loads of Aux inputs for phone/games consoles/TV etc. Also comes with the ipod interface unit so you can control your iPod from the touchscreen/remote

link for specs

I'd be happy to bring it to the Weekender for you to save on postage too

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    No offence but those BK wheels look shit, 4X100 is MX-5 and old VW territory, so naturally you've got some decent choices. Rota or XXR will be able to provide something much nicer.

Get an Alpine headunit in there, their blutooth enabled one is like 100 notes now if you shop around.
    I wouldn't do anything with the interior if it's going to cart kids around, it probs won't be long before it's hanging off and then someone will start picking and peeling it.
    None taken. They are a bit gash and I have already spoken to Ben at RR about Rota options but no chunk of cash to fling at them yet so its a make do on improving these for now .

Head unit wise I will check out the Alpines

Wrap wise done properly there are no edges to peel dude