Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: s13 turbo lag :(

Rides

s13 turbo lag :(

hi guys, i have a stage 2 s13 running the necessary mods, I think it still has the standard down pipe which will probably be holding back some power. manual boost controller, t28 of some sort(been told it might be out a pulsar) with a HKS adjustable actuator, the boost doesn't kick in till around 4,500 rpm but when at full boost it all feels fine, i have cleaned the afm, tightened the actuator arm. the wastegate was moving fine so can rule that out.

any 1 have an idea what this could be?

boost leak? when it hits 4.5k it sits at 14psi and holds solid so does that rule out a leak?
    i had a look at how the manual boost controller is set up and its totally different from my mates s14 ?

cheers kyle

Rides
    first, you do have a chip fitted on the ECU right? or what management do you have on the car?

second, for a journal bearing T28 that sounds about right... an aftermarket downpipe might lower the max boost rpm a bit, but that sounds about right'ish forthe mods...

although, do you have the actuator well fitted/adjusted?
    what boost does it make without the manual boost controller fitted? That boost would be the base boost setting...
    as for connections/setup on manual boost controllers, you can only compare similar/the same boost controller... there are a few that are diferent...

Rides
    its a horsham developments stage 2 chip. everyone thats driven it says its taking to long to kick in ? i made sure the actuator arm was tight today. i have not checked standard boost yet. could it be the spark plugs or anything holding it back ? if it is the t28 out of the pulsar could that be why it spools up so late instead of the t28 out the s14.

Rides
    I had a stage 2 S13 and swear it was a lot less laggy than my S14 is, does sound a tad high on a T28 if it was a huge turbo then yea expect it.

Rides
    yeah it seems and feels far to late for it to spool up. I can't think of anything else to check

Rides
    im sure the pulsar t28s are different somehow, may need a bit of googling

Rides
    from what I have read people say the t28h(pulsar turbo) is quite laggy but even at that 4,500rpm still seems late. I don't even know if it is a t28h yet though

Rides
    Get the timing checked as if its a tooth out it'll make it more laggy. What boost are you getting at say 3000rpm

Rides
    timing has been checked and told its fine. I'm not exactly sure but it's not making positive boost at 3000rpm

Rides
    Hmm that's definitely not right. I can imagine it not reaching full boost on a CA till later. But not 4500 for a bar. I had that much boost on a cheap T04e by that time.
    When I say timing. I mean the cam belt timing. It's so so common to get the belt a tooth out and it's not easy to see either.

Rides
    no sorry the cam belt timing hasn't been checked ill need to try get a timing light

Rides
    Cam belt timing doesnt require a light, take off the covers and crank pulley and check the belt is lined up correctly, its very easier to get a tooth out on these engines causing lots of lag.

The best way to line up the belt is to actually put both sides 1 tooth out, then when tensioning it will tighten up correctly.

Also a t28h from a pulsar is similar to an s14 t28, but it has a larger exhaust wheel and housing, on my old stage 3 s13 it used to reach 1.3 bar at around 4000ish so it should be hitting 1 bar around 3700-3800 for you mate.

Check for boost leaks too

Rides
    sticky actuator maybe?

Rides
    nah actuator was moving fine man checked that earlier

Rides
    exhaust gaskets? cracked wastegate port?

Rides
    Turbo gaskets can cause this but 4.5l is megga late my ca used to hit1.2 bar at about 3500 with an s14 t28. I have no idea on the pulsar turbo as thats meant to make things quite a bit laggier.

I would be checking turbo gaskets, elbow gaskets, boost leaks and then timing etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    To test the lag, put the bitch in 4th gear on the dueller and come back and tell us when it hits full boost as in my opinion your hitting peak torque at that point which is different to lag. This will be where the t28h will start to pull its hardest but not where it's making full boost.

The t28h is quite a laggy turbo but it makes up for it at the top of the revs where peak power is at around 7500rpm

When I had a s14 t28 on, it started pulling hard at around 4000rpm and peak power was at 7200rpm

Rides
    I've been out in KMCK's car and if you were to put it in 4th and put your foot down at 2.5/3k it would take around a week before boost would come on!

It's LAGGY but at the same time it feels like its effecting the raw power of the engine before the boost comes in.

Rides
    as hoods says in 4th/5th putting the foot to the floor dosnt move for a long time

Rides
    compression test.