Thread: Accident advice

Rides

Accident advice

Morning chaps,

After a bit of advice on behalf of my boss.

He was driving his car yesterday, long and the short of it is someone was in the central reservation bit of a 2 lane road as if waiting to turn right in a jeep, he's gone up the left side of them and they've swung back across the left hand lane to go into a driveway (without looking or indicating which was witnessed) and clipped my boss' front wing causing a fair sized crease.

Should he have undertaken? The guy in the jeep is basically saying he's not liable because he shouldn't have been going round on the left hand side. I thought the point of having those central reservation bits was to keep the flow of traffic moving, so if he's waiting there as if to turn right the natural thing would be to go round the left, I would have done the same I'd guess..

Who's liable?

Cheers for your help in advance.

Rob.

Rides
    If there are road markings on the right hand lane showing turn right only and the Jeep was stationary, its a no brainer and your boss is in the clear. The Jeep could get done for careless driving if he turned left across traffic.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    If there are road markings on the right hand lane showing turn right only and the Jeep was stationary, its a no brainer and your boss is in the clear. The Jeep could get done for careless driving if he turned left across traffic.
    Id agree with that
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Not totally clear on road layout. But undertaking isn't technically illegal, (there was a thread about it on here, confirmed in sorts by Prior), if it's to maintain steady flow of traffic. It's the Jeep drivers responsibility to check his mirrors before making a manouvre.

Alex B

Edit: Will try and find the law on it later, can't find it quick enough now.
    Last edited by Alex B; 25-07-2013 at 09:03.

Rides
    You'd need to find out what the markings on the road were really, that's what would be most definitive.

Rides

He's just emailed me some photos through, jeep was in the red bit, boss has thought he was turning right into the garage you can see in the background there.

Rides
    I would say obsolutely clear cut Jeep was in the wrong from that pic.

Alex B

Rides
    I'm pretty sure you are only allowed on a ladder if you are turning right so that would put the Jeep definitely in the wrong. Was the Jeep indicating right ?

Rides
    As the Chevrons have a broken border line, you are allowed into them, but do not have priority.

As there is only technically one lane you should not undertake, but it gets complicated because if the jeep was not indicating that puts them both at fault I'd suggest in the eyes of the law.

The chevrons are not a marked area for waiting to turn right, so the jeep should stay in his lane and wait to turn right or left.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    No, he wasn't indicating right, but he didn't indicate left or check before he swung over either. Apparently the vehicle was covered in battle scars..

Thanks Scottie.. the plot thickens!

What you reckon then? Go through insurance and hope for the best?

Rides
    50/50 on insurance i bet...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    50/50 on insurance i bet...
    Yep if the Jeep was in a marked right turn lane that makes the difference, but as there is technically no right turn lane and only one legal lane it's agree that 50/50 is the best he can hope for. It might even go more against the non jeep as technically he should not have been undertaking.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    They'll probably stick it through as 50/50 to save on time and effort.

Rides
    They will go for 50/50 as they always do if it's questionable, (we had it when someone went through a red light on a roundabout but argued and got a 100% other party decision). If there's any question they try for 50/50 as it's crappy ambulance chasers that the insurance companies use who just want an easy life.

Was the Jeep actually stopped or just driving slowly? If it was stopped I'd argue that he went passed to keep traffic flowing, (as per the highway code), if he was still travelling it's not gonna be so easy.

Alex B