Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What STANDARD performance car for £5k?

Rides
    Vauxhall calibra turbo??

Rides
    I can totally see Ed in a ZT or Calibra

Regarding the RX8 - seriously, you'll despise the lack of torque dude. They're great cars, but I just don't think they will suit you - VERY different to an FD. It's a lovely chassis but the lack of low down will, I suspect, not be to your taste. I reckon you need turbo or big capacity.

Thought about selling some of Kate's things to add to the budget, and buying a Monaro?

Rides
    Z32 300zx? Should leave you plenty of spare cash too

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I don't think I'd ever quantify an RX8 as a performance car to be honest. Or a 350Z. Certainly neither in standard trim.

You say the E36 M3 looks dated which is a shame, you'd get a nice M3 EVO for that. On the topic of Evo, what about an Evo 4?

Of course, if you're in Italy, Fiat Coupe's are a good bet as well if you can budget for the inevitable engine out cam belt.
    I question your car brain.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Id go further, I think Piman is actually deluded. How the hell can a 300hp 2 seater and whats acknowledged as one of the finest handling coupes of the last 10 years not be performance cars?

Oh, thats right - the 350 is a direct competitor for a Volvo Estate due to its practicality and the RX8 is meant as a commuting car, what with its shining fuel economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Hugely expensive on bits. You would have to be brave!

Honda S2000 for me. I drove one recently and it was a revelation. I am really not a Honda lover either. Or buy my M3 Evo!

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    S2000's are awesome cars when your on full attack mode, I imagine much like the RX8.

The issue is, at everything else, the S2000 is kinda piss poor.

Rides
    Curve ball... What about something along the lines of an MR2 turbo?

Rides
    When my rx8 worked (brought knowing it was ropy) I really liked it the only downsides was getting used to the engine and the driver side floor is a bit cramped due to the shape of the floor pan. Tho my rx8 now looks like this:

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Of course, if you're in Italy, Fiat Coupe's are a good bet as well if you can budget for the inevitable engine out cam belt.
    The engine doesn't have to come out, at all, ever.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    S2000's are awesome cars when your on full attack mode, I imagine much like the RX8.

The issue is, at everything else, the S2000 is kinda piss poor.
    Yup. Much like the DC2 and the reason I sold it, in the end. It's a 95% / 5% car. 95% of the time it's infuriating with its NVH and off cam sewing machine sound and the lack of equipment, windows steaming up etc. It's only 5% of the time when you're properly on it, it's amazing. The BM is the other way round - and I only miss the Integra for 5% of the time I spend in a car.

Rides
    You should remember I live in Italy, where 90% of the cars spend their entire lives at 6k RPM

I am slowly selling myself the idea of an E36 M3 saloon, purely as I think it would be a good all rounder, but then I see someone in an MX5 go blatting up the mountain road and want one of those again!

The other option is a tidy, kouki S13 with subtle mods But no big cannon exhaust pipe decked into the weeds etc. £5k would buy a nice one

Rides
    Do it Ed. I've just bought a E36 M3 4 door and it's ace.
    I like the way it still feels mechanical, not overly computerised. The warning buzzer sounds like a game of operation!

Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Regarding the RX8 - seriously, you'll despise the lack of torque dude.
    This is why you need to drive cars.

Everyone told me after a 378lb/ft sx as my daily I'd miss the torque in a rx8...but I never did. That thing just revved and revved. As soon as I drove it the car just felt perfect for me and what I wanted.

It won't be for everyone but I really miss having to sell that car after 2 1/2 years, it really was that good.

They also told me it would use lots of oil and be unreliable, it used less than many nearly new Audi's and didn't break down whereas I've had loads of trouble with supposed premium german cars.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    My issue with an Rx8 would be depreciation over the actual car, i think there a great little place to be, modern comfortable and good out of the box performsance, the lack of bhp is less of an issue as it means in my opinion you can nail it in more situations. Bus as for the depreciation id probably go with a 350z if you can afford one. or buy a cheaper rx8.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Scottie, its not a personal choice, I love rx8s(I've driven quite a few). If it were me, ID buy an rx8.
    It's more to do with their suitability for the OP. Knowing his driving style and car history (e34 540, e39 530d, numerous s13s, and various other turbo/large capacity motors) , I think the relative lack of torque won't be to his taste. His NA FC didn't exactly last too long...

You really don't need to try and persuade me about the pros, cons, and myths surrounding rotary ownership dude!
    Last edited by Si; 27-08-2013 at 08:45.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    You should remember I live in Italy, where 90% of the cars spend their entire lives at 6k RPM

I amslowly selling myself the idea of an E36 M3 saloon, purely as I think it would be a good all rounder, but then I see someone in an MX5 go blatting up the mountain road and want one of those again!

The other option is a tidy, kouki S13 with subtle mods But no big cannon exhaust pipe decked into the weeds etc. £5k would buy a nice one
    Paddy has just put his mint ( and i mean eat your dinner off it mint ) kouki 180 up for sale. Swap exhaust job done.

It won best 200 @ last years weekender

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Another curve ball:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-BMW-8...item27d5f0f5cd

or even
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-BMW-8...item1e7e66f1e9

Personally I think the 840 would be cheaper in all aspects to run

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_E1 View Post
    paddy has just put his mint ( and i mean eat your dinner off it mint ) kouki 180 up for sale. Swap exhaust job done.

It won best 200 @ last years weekender
    Where?