Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The reason why my 200, wife, kids, house are neglected...

Rides

The reason why my 200, wife, kids, house are neglected...

Well where do I start…..

Probably best with why im part of the club . I have a s14a that ive played with a little (forged hks lined block, 3076 turbo, giken box… you get the idea!). I’ll get around to a build thread on that once im settled in with the workshop.

Now on with the point of this thread, my new workshop.

I had a pretty good setup at the last house I was at but with the growing family the wife wanted to move somewhere bigger.
    I’ve always lived in the sticks and so has the wife so it was an easy choice picking a new place. Only conditions were no neighbours and if it didn’t have a workshop I was allowed to build

Now onto the fun part, moved into the new house and it only had a single garage attached to the house, hence full permission for me to build which is great as it can be laid out how I want it! keep in mind im not a builder by trade so progress was slow and i only done work as / when i had saved enough pennies or could beg / borrow kit.

The time is Feb 2012. I submitted my notice for building to the council and cracked on with prepping the site.

Felt pretty bad doing the site work as the garden to the house was kept nice before i moved in, but needs must.
    BEFORE:

AFTER:

At around april after a few phone calls and checking round all the local farmers I settled on the following frame from graham heath down in Englandshire because none of the local boys could match the spec.

Was very happy with the service from GH but I don’t have much luck with haulage firms and the delivery of this kit wasn’t any different…. When loading the kit onto a hi-ab truck in aberdeen they managed to put the forklift through the roller door , the boys are too used to dealing with offshore kit! Got replacement lath sorted by the haulage firm but just means more work in the future.

so this is what arrived... simple enough jigsaw to deal with.

Time is now aug 2012 - got the go ahead from the council and started to properly take the site down to hard course, the land at the house was built near an old quary so good for me there wasnt much top soild but it made for slow progress with the 1.5tonner. Because it was such heavy going on the little digger, decided to make progress with digging the column pads only and take the site down further when i could get my hands on a 3 - 5 tonne digger.

Maybe it was slow going because she was driving....

pretty deep founds

daughter thinks they were left by moles!!!

with the pads dug out, it allowed the concrete to go in. marked up the levels with the laser and got going with the pour!!!

was a struggle to get the 8-wheeler in the drive, i had a bit of a panic as i would of been charged for the concrete and its disposal!!!! After we got it in the mental note for all future deliveries to be 6-wheelers was burned into my mind.

Obvisouly the driveway must of been done on the cheap or by people who enjoy living in caravans and not paying tax because it was only around 1/2" thick and the truck sank into it all over the place.....

Got hold of a 2.5tonne digger and got the site level

and put down sub base to make it all nice and flat
    Last edited by s200rat; 25-08-2013 at 21:02.

Rides
    Sept 2012
    gave the local farmer some whiskey pennies and borrowed his telehandler for the weekend to help put up the frame and roped in some friends.

Frame going up

hmmmmm my HSE policy for working at height appears to be lacking!

Roof on

Last edited by s200rat; 25-08-2013 at 21:03.

Rides
    ~Nov 2012 to Jan 2013

So basically got the roof on and ran out of pennies and the weather wasn’t helping either! Xmas was coming up and the wife was heavily preggers with the 2nd child. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The weather was a bit of a mixed blessing, it gave me time to get money saved…. But (1) the weather took its toll on some of the roof sheets over winter because there was no flashing and the wind caught them and (2) idle time is horrible and I was on gumtree too much and bought myself my own 1-1/2 tonner

It’s a bit of an old girl with plenty hours on her but will be handy and I can fix it with my eyes closed (as long as the parts are still in stock ha ha)

Jan - march 2013
    total write off, 2nd daughter was born and daddy day care duties had to be done instead of playing with shed/toys

Aprill 2013
    Back on track On the workshop i planned to have blockwork to 6ft then cladding to the eves. Basically this is for security as we live in the middle of no where, i work away a lot and the wifes aim with a shotgun is shockingly bad. If there was no block work you can just unbolt a sheet round the back and help yourself to toolboxes.

so with my little takeuchi digger, dug out the founds for the block work and ran a conduit back to the house to get power once its all up.

got a 6 wheeler in to pour the concrete and had to get my mum to help tramp and barrow it round because my brothers were away offshore. poor mum!

dug out a 4" deep trench in the first bay and poured additional concrete here because i plan to get a 2-poster in and wanted additional concrete depth.

May 2013
    With the founds poured i ordered up some 4" blocks and started to lay them on the flat between the posts. I was incredibly slow and only managed 2 courses in a week. I admitted defeat and called up a bricklayer who totally embarrassed me and put up the remaining 12-14 courses in a couple of days.

Last edited by s200rat; 25-08-2013 at 22:29.

Rides
    June 2013
    The workshop was taking shape!!! I got a shot of a telehandler again and replaced the damaged roof sheets from winter and worked my way round the shed over a weekend and put on the side cladding.

all the flashing went on

July 2013
    prepped for the floor pour, hired a whacker plate and went over the floor lots!

as you can see, the oldest daughter has been helpful troughout the build

I didn't really get much pics during the pour of the floor, mainly because it was a mad day. I wanted the floor powerfloated to get it polished up nice. I had looked at the forecast and the weather was meant to be pretty cool and over cast. So i thought "i dont want to be power floating at 2am" so i order the concrete and up'd the grade from c30 to c35 to speed up the cure...... BAD MISTAKE, the day actually turned out to be hot for once in the north east of scotland. Absolutely no waiting for concrete to go off before getting the powerfloat onto it and struggled to finish it. Was absolutely dead that night.

But here is some after shots with plenty water being poured onto it to stop it from cracking

The next day inbetween giving it a cooling down with water i cut the expansion gaps in the slab

had a visit by a QC engineer who confirmed the floor was good and flat
    Last edited by s200rat; 25-08-2013 at 22:00.

Rides
    August 2013
    had a month to wait until the concrete reached high enough strength to start using it so use the time to prep all of the door frames and install them.

They were a mess, not all of the door was galvanised and had been sitting outside for the past year. But well because i own a 200 im not stranger to dealing with rust ha ha.

got the grinder and wire wheels out and gave them a clean up and painted with acid etch then zinc primer.

One door up.....

and second door + wicket up

This was definately the hardest job!!!! Mainly because i did it on my own and had to use heap of rope rigging to move anything and line it up.
    Last edited by s200rat; 25-08-2013 at 22:13.

Rides
    and so today...... after a year of being out in the open and hardly driven....... this happened!!!

hopefully not long till its properly back on the road and getting more attention rather than working on the shed.
    Last edited by s200rat; 25-08-2013 at 22:22.

Rides
    and that brings me up to date with this project.

Things still to do when time / money allows:

Paint inside block work white.
    Fit remaining flashings around door and side cladding.
    Install all the electrics / Lighting
    Install the guttering
    Rip up driveway and redo it in stone chip
    Find a 2poster for the right price
    Last edited by s200rat; 25-08-2013 at 23:04.

Rides
    Not bad for a flat pack shed

Nice work...slightly jelous
    Last edited by m44t-xx; 25-08-2013 at 23:05.

Rides
    That workshop looks bigger than my house
    Looks awesome.

Rides
    Just wondering if you got your inches and mm mixed up. Jeeez thats big. Very jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by s200rat View Post
    and so today...... after a year of being out in the open and hardly driven....... this happened!!!

hopefully not long till its properly back on the road and getting more attention rather than working on the shed.

Rides
    Nice build, awesome size for a workshop! How much have you spent in total if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you like.

Rides
    Awesome garage,would love that!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m44t-xx View Post
    Not bad for a flat pack shed
    ha ha i would swap for ikea furniture any day! at least their kits come with instructions

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Yin View Post
    That workshop looks bigger than my house
    there is the plan for a 4th bay in the future the way these are built makes it easy to add. But that can wait till the girls are in school.

Quote Originally Posted by snops View Post
    Just wondering if you got your inches and mm mixed up. Jeeez thats big. Very jealous.
    I get mixed up all the time, especially talking to girls, 8 inch 8mm its all the same isnt it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave270r View Post
    Nice build, awesome size for a workshop! How much have you spent in total if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you like.
    no problem talking about it because when i started i was working a bit blind to cost. all in i would of spent ~22k. Yip i realise thats a chunk of money and i could be running around in a 2nd hand RS6/M5 but the workspace is important to me. The last workshop paid for all my tools through picking up work when i was home and definitely helped to sell the house when the time came to move. Main costs was the actual kit which was 12k including delivery/doors/cladding/guttering/fittings. Second would probably be the cost of concrete which is ~£90-100/m3 so i spent ~£3,400 on that. Blocks was the other main cost and don’t forget I also bought a digger included in that cost!!!!. Since i done the ground work with friends that saved a large amount, and the top soil was dumped on land i own so no costs for disposal. Also I done all the steel work with family and friends so that saved a good bit. And cheap / free machinery costs helped!

To build similar through a turn key contractor would be in the region of 35-45k. To put things into perspective, a floor pour like mine is small & simple compared to some of the surrounding farm sheds, a local well established concrete contractor quoted 12k to pour the floor and power float it. My cost to do it was ~4k inc all the equipment rental and reinforment mesh, maybe they just over quoted because they didn't want the job but i couldn’t figure out their quote basis even when 10% markup and wages to be paid.

Quote Originally Posted by pdh 14a View Post
    Awesome garage,would love that!
    cant wait to put it to use!!! already lining up a couple of projects.

Rides
    Jealous

Rides
    Looks like 4 per bay so a 12 car garage?

Pretty soon that will take every 200 left.

How about some insulation? Cos that's going to be cold in winter.

Rides
    ha ha thats what thermal boiler suits and hats are for!!! would love to insulate and ply-line it, but thats a long way down the list at the minute, the wife might start questioning why the interior of the shed is nicer than the house!!!

My 200 got a friend to keep her company at nights…. Unfortunately not mine, it’s a friends.

Last edited by s200rat; 31-08-2013 at 09:09.

Rides
    Cost wise for the size of the structure I think you've done well. I can't believe the floor pour quote was 12k!!!

Rides
    Not sure if I missed it as people are talking about size, but whats the square foot or dimensions? It's something we've looked into but thought it was a lot more than that!

Did you look at insulated cladding?

Alex B

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave270r View Post
    Cost wise for the size of the structure I think you've done well. I can't believe the floor pour quote was 12k!!!
    yeh, i think its came in at a reasonable total. Yeh, I dont know what was up with the quote, could be they just weren't interested in the job and over quoted but if thats the scale they do actually charge then the big 200ft industrial units / grain stores must be near enough 100k to pour.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
    Not sure if I missed it as people are talking about size, but whats the square foot or dimensions? It's something we've looked into but thought it was a lot more than that!

Did you look at insulated cladding?

Alex B
    I forgot to say, its a 45 x 30 ft (x12ft to the eves).

As above i think i done pretty good in terms of costs as the farmers up here plan for ~£25-30/ft3 on their big builds. My one is 1350 sq ft..... £16.5/ft3. Again thats down to no inclusion of my own labour costs. Generally it gets cheaper per sq ft the larger the shed, or at least thats a good excuse to justify going that step to far

It was marginal when it came to pick the frame between a sectional steel frame and a proper portal frame like i used because its relatively small. I chose going portal frame because of the amount of wind + snow loading i see at my house and the eve height i wanted.

Generally a 60 x 40 is your small agricultural standard frame size and the price of the kit wouldnt be miles away from what i paid because there is so much people offering the standard size. Also I have pretty large spec’d beams due to the concern with snow/wind. If it was urban or sheltered then you could get away with less. Plenty of lower spec shed round me are still standing, but I didn’t want to risk it as its not just a couple of sheep which will be lost if it collapses when im working in it….

I did look into insulation at the start of the build, plenty very neat, pre insulated cladding from king span and steadmans which is just as easy to install as normal cladding but decided against it. The cost is ~3.5x normal cladding and the budget just didn't allow for it and hard to justify for a personal workshop where the decisions i make only impact my own comfort. I doubt it would do much for me at my location anyways because its on a hill top and exposed to wind + large shutter doors. However, if it was in a more sheltered area & i was to use it for full time work or had employee's then the cladding would be a sensible investment. Its a small factor of costs and probably would of raised the total build cost by ~4k for all year round comfort!

The insulation would help with noise though!!! You couldn’t do work outside of normal hours if you had this and neighbours because it doesn't do anything to quieten down compressors / tools.

The bay the nissan is currently in will likely get partitioned to build a mez floor for storage and the space underneath can get plaster boarded / insulated so at least there will be an clean room thats semi warm so I can work on an engine without my thumbs falling off!
    Last edited by s200rat; 31-08-2013 at 10:52.

Rides
    Fair play! That is not a "shed", that is a barn! :-) Only in my dreams do I have a place where I'm not lying on my back in the p1ssings of rain! - I'm jealous!!