Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The reason why my 200, wife, kids, house are neglected...

Rides
    Thats good info. I only asked as a unit we've been looking to rent is made from 60mm insulated cladding, it's just short of 10,000sqft and pretty high, I'd guess 25' to the eaves, (we were only looking to take half), and the owner reckons it's cost him £360k to get to the position its at.

From your info buying land and putting a building up isn't so unrealistic

Alex B

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
    Thats good info. I only asked as a unit we've been looking to rent is made from 60mm insulated cladding, it's just short of 10,000sqft and pretty high, I'd guess 25' to the eaves, (we were only looking to take half), and the owner reckons it's cost him £360k to get to the position its at.

From your info buying land and putting a building up isn't so unrealistic

Alex B
    Hopefully he's nearly finished at that cost. There is a difference with frame costs of agricultural vs industrial so that would of put his cost up, its something to do with the time its inhabited by humans or something and forces the spec up. I guess there is plenty other costs he's faced like drainage, creation of a soakaway and proper fire reg happy trunking for all the services inside which i didn't need. Simple stuff like toilets and dealing with black water costs money whereas i have the house next door so dont need it and all the rain water will end up in the field ditches.

I still have electrics to do, but im currently thinking 750 - 1k to fully kit it out with plenty welding sockets / lights.

ha ha i sense there is a plan brewing in your head! post up request for free labour in the general section and get a team sxoc build started!!!!

Rides
    im in to see the vids of the indoor drift days

Rides
    a bit out of order but as it turns out the wife took some pictures during the pour, so for completeness ive thrown them up.

steel mesh set out and tied. There is better ways to support it but i just used eng bricks.

To give a clean & strong door threshold i used some angle iron and welded it offset from the door opening to allow a step at the door to stop water coming in. On the underside of the angle i welded on some re-bar to tie it into the slab.

barrows and scaff boards had to be used for the majority of the concrete because the door height wouldnt allow the truck in, theyre about 13ft!!! So plenty heavy graft

unfinished concrete

Heres the power float!

and floor after first pass

Rides
    In 6 months time, you'll wish you'd made it bigger as it will be full of tut

Seriously though.... Nice build.

Rides
    i am now seriously jealous looks like a great space
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Nice shed mate, and your not too far from me either, I'm just outside Ellon also. Away to start on my own shed when I get home next week!

John

Rides
    Having just google mapped Ellon, I'd say it was less "out in the country" and more "to feck on out of it !". Proper remote

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Having just google mapped Ellon, I'd say it was less "out in the country" and more "to feck on out of it !". Proper remote
    ha yeh, it becomes clear that were considered "remote" when couriers try and charge an extra £40 for postage....
    Ellon is just the nearest "big" place, im about 15miles away outside of an even smaller village.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy gt View Post
    Nice shed mate, and your not too far from me either, I'm just outside Ellon also. Away to start on my own shed when I get home next week!

John
    well im near to maud / auchnagatt. Just give me a shout if you need a hand or need any help wi your 200.

In 6 months time, you'll wish you'd made it bigger as it will be full of tut

Seriously though.... Nice build.
    yep, no matter what size you have, you can always fill it!

Rides
    Awesome thread, some great info and on a scale most of us can only dream of!
    Make sure you keep updating, I want to see the place full of tools and being used.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dandan View Post
    Awesome thread, some great info and on a scale most of us can only dream of!
    Make sure you keep updating, I want to see the place full of tools and being used.
    thanks!
    funny you should mention about it getting used, this trip home ive started attacking my 200!

tools moved across from house....

and the state of the 200 just now

Subframe off for a bit of a clean up and solid bushes going in.

and the other bits waiting for their day at the spa! the diff will be getting a bit more attention than normal, it has loads of backlash and during the strip down i found a couple of the nearside driveshaft bolts looking a bit iffy. So it will be opened up and rebuilt. Im hoping to source a 4.1 ring/pinion for it and ill reshim it a little tighter.

Rides
    Yey. Get some use out of it before the weather sets in

I'd be tempted to chuck up some internal partitioning as follows :-
    1 double garage size as a working booth - lagged so I had a smaller area to heat and work in when it was cold.
    1 double garage size as a spray booth - also lagged so it could also be used as an oven
    1 single garage size as a "clean" workshop for engine building
    1 single garage size as a storeroom with shelving

Rides
    Yey. Get some use out of it before the weather sets in

I'd be tempted to chuck up some internal partitioning as follows :-
    1 double garage size as a working booth - lagged so I had a smaller area to heat and work in when it was cold.
    1 double garage size as a spray booth - also lagged so it could also be used as an oven
    1 single garage size as a "clean" workshop for engine building
    1 single garage size as a storeroom with shelving
    ha we must think pretty similar! i stand and look at it and think of ways to split it too. Its all well off in the future but the master plan is to put a mezzanine floor across the bay where there is no door. Have the upstairs as storage. Split it in two under the mez floor, one side framed/plaster boarded and insulated which will be the clean room. The other side will be welding bench / compressor / heavy storage area. Middle bay will just be for storing ongoing projects. and the end bay will be the main work bay where i will have a 2 post and have my main tool box. For spraying will do it pikey style with a garden gazebo/tent setup in the middle bay

well being outside yesterday maybe wasnt a good idea. Made me realise that winter and short days were coming soon and i better get moving with the electrics. Took the plunge and ordered up some SWA cable / glands and a couple of consumer units to start with getting power out there. Conduit is already buried so just a case of pulling cables and wiring it up. That’s all I can afford till the end of the month, then I can start looking at lights/outlets but if I already have power out there then it makes things easier.

Rides
    Great read mate, that is some workshop, I dream that I'll have one just like that one day Keep up the good work and I look forward to your build thread of the 200

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesebert View Post
    Great read mate, that is some workshop, I dream that I'll have one just like that one day Keep up the good work and I look forward to your build thread of the 200
    Thanks, ha could get a aberdeen meet on the go to help finish off some of the little projects all over the place!

Should be able to make an update this weekend. The SWA cable arrived, i done the cable pull (30m of it is rediculously heavy!) and have done the main fused switch install in the house side. Will hopefully install the workshop consumer unit over the next week and then have power!!! then the long task of doing the various rings for lighting and sockets.

On the 200sx side, its been a bit slow, knot wheeling the subframe for paint and a 4.1 skyline GTST diff turned up. Im just going to check it over, re-shim it and change its output shafts. Ive got rid of my diff cooler, so the GTST diff is a lot neater solution since it only has the breather port and nothing else.

Rides
    top work! some inspiration for the future for me there

Rides
    Hello, well happy new to everyone on the sxoc . Its been a while since an update.
    I now have power!!!

As above, in October the SWA arrived and I done the pull through the conduit I laid during the build. The last few meters needed quite a bit of force so I wouldn’t like to do anymore than 30m.

Consumer unit got installed and terminated the SWA into it

wired up a single plug and woohoo now have some source of electric to get light and tools going.

That got me by until I saved up some pennies to do the full kit out of the workshop. An early xmas present arrived in Dec.

I got time off of work at xmas and hid away from the kids as they were busy killing their furby and other such presents I wasted money on.
    Ran the cable track round the shed and a return loop on the roof to the CU.

it took the best part of 5 days on my own balanced ontop of a ladder to complete the install.

SHOCK HA HA, this must be a SXOC first…… Cable ties being used for their official purpose instead of holding s-bodys together !!!!

plenty plugs and industrial 240v sockets spotted round the shed. The sockets are used for the welders and compressor and I will also likely use the ring for a ramp when I get one.

Light switches next to the wicket

All the lights are currently on the wall cause I don’t think having them on the roof offers much light, especially when working on cars. I have some for the roof to install at a later date just to add a little more light but it’s a low priority job.

and that’s it for now. Now onto clearing the cars out of the workshop and showing them some love. Im just in from painting the subframe of the 200. Its fuel tank is off and rear end getting wire-wheeled ready for some por 15 treatment. Need to actually get it on the road this summer!

In terms of the shed, its just using it for the immediate future. But I will have to paint the walls white at some point in the summer, get the gutters on, external flood lights and sort out the driveway.

Rides
    Fantastic job, mate

I'm really enjoying watching this come together.

Rides
    Well its been a while so worth an update.

Been busy with work so not a huge amount of progress.

Was having a spy through gumtree as you do and seen a ramp locally. It ticked all the boxes - decent brand, based design, single phase. Went to see it and it was brand new so bought it. Story around it was bought or a new business venture, it didn’t happen, got bought by the guy selling it and had been stored in various units until he could find one with enough roof height. 5 years old and only been ran a couple times - everything was basically new!

Here it is in its new home.

some of you may of seen, there is actually s-body parts getting worked on.
    Sub-frame freshened up and solid bushes.

and build up with 4.1 shimmed diff, whiteline ARB

so no point hanging about. Drilled and set the frame.

and a couple of hours, actually make that heaps of hours and dodgy lifts with engine hoist/chain blocks later, sweat and choice words later the posts were up! No wonder the previous couldn’t find a unit with enough head height, its taller than most!

ran a new cable track and 32amp circuit. Checked the electrics out, flushed the ram and hydraulic pump and put new oil in. crossed my fingers and took it or a test drive. All good and the locks worked as they should - yeeha!

I then set up the arm heights and wanted to test it for real, poor Mondeo got picked to trial it.

No pictures of this but didn’t go to plan…… went up fine. Lowered it onto the locks. Had a good shake about and hanging off it to confirm the base was all good, re-torqued all the anchors - all good. I then went to raise the car off the locks and motor flashed over and died

Not good - my commuter was stuck 5ft in the air. Took the electric motor off and diagnosed it as a short in the starting coil as it would spin if I gave it a nudge with just the primary coil energise. Took it to bits and found that the insulation of one of the windings was knackered - I guess sitting around in random damp units over the past 5 years had not been great on it. Tried to DIY fix it with varnish just to get the car off the ramp but didn’t work. So had to do some creative jacking to get the arms off the locks and lower the car. Took the motor to a local firm in Aberdeen to get re-wound. Nothings ever cheap in Aberdeen because of the oil industry so I was a bit gutted but new motors for this ramp are silly money and I cant use a standard motor as its got a non standard shaft/keyway.

Anyways all been ok with it the past couple months so hopefully just a once off.

Been doing major work on the drive aswell - getting rid of all the tarmac and making it a lot larger and parking area to the sides of the workshop, got pictures but im sure you don’t want landscaping photos ha.

Also, its not all been about the workshop, the 200 actually got some love. What intended to just be a rear subframe tidy up got a little bit more involved

So whats been done on the 200;
    Subframe off - cleaned up & painted 2k white, rebuilt gts 4.1 diff, solid bushes installed.
    Fuel tank off - cleaned up and sprayed underside of the car in acid etch, stone chip & 2k black. Ran new fuel lines.
    Coil overs and alignment arms off cleaned up.
    Interior stripped and carpet dyed black and refitted it all.
    New heat shielding and tidy up of the lines around my top mount set up as a few bits looked as if they had been getting a bit toasty.

And lastly - I thought the paint work was looking a bit tired sooooooo as you do, I took a DA sander to it and started prepping it for a respray

Set up a poor mans spray booth and started taking things seriously. Alex B’s booth has nothing on this professional set up ha ha ha.

turned into this

I actually wish I just sprayed it grey - I think it looked amazing when flattened back. Fair play to anyone who does bodywork for a living. It’s a lot of graft to do it even on a small car like to 200. Even with a DA sander I spent hours on each panel to get it spot on.

But the grey was short lived, I had already bought the Nissan KH3 black so on it went.

and that’s where im at. Going to leave the nissan’s paint for a while to harden up before going up through the grades to 3000 then G3, G10.

Rides
    Can't say that I am remotely jealous in that setup / space at all, no way not in any shape or form

In all seriousness, looks great for the thread. But no doubt, you'll wish you made something even bigger!