Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paddy's garage build

Rides

Paddy's garage build

So I have moved into a house which will allow me to build a garage for my toys. Something that I have always wanted since I was a kid. The garage will provide me space where I can store my car and road bike but most importantly an area where I can work on them. I would love to be able to remove and replace parts,service and repair and upgrade parts ect on my car but have just never had the space to do so. This has meant I have had to usually pay a garage to undertake the work. This garage will allow me the space and enviroment where I can learn as a car enthusiast to do the work myself.

So the garage I intend to build. It will be 8m long and 4m wide and provide 32 sqm of space to store my car and motorbike. I intend to have a decent bench area to strip and rebuild parts along with a decent area for tools. I have a picture in my head how it will look but will take it a step at a time. I intend to do all the work myself as I am a bricklayer to trade. It will not be the quickest build as I have a lot of other things going on in my life at present but will be doing a little bit whenever I have free time and will get as many photo's up of my progress along the way.

So,today I marked off the area and lifted the existing monoblock where the strip foundation will be layed. Looks like a decent size. Took a photo from my bedroom as it shows the area better.

Last edited by Paddy; 06-09-2013 at 19:14.

Rides
    Looks like its gonna be a decent size mate ! Look forward to the progress !

Rides
    It will be mate. Going to get in about digging foundation tommorrow. Weather has just been crap lately.

Rides
    I'm confused by the layout, is the garage door facing your house?

Rides
    The garage door will be facing the side of the house mate. The garage isn't directly at the rear of the house. It's to one side at the end of the driveway. Will get a better picture tomorrow showing this.

Rides

I did say this was going to be slow didn't I. Hand digging seemed like a good idea at the time

Rides
    Made some progress today. Have finished digging the strip for the foundation. These pictures give a better idea of the position of the garage to the house. Excuse the bad quality pictures. Was struggling with the sunlight.

Rides
    any reason you put it at that side mate ?

Personally I would have put the garage at the other side then had 2 doors on it so you could fit 2 cars in the garage and one outside it, or are you trying to save some garden space lol ?

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Might have planning issues hence why it can only go there?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus23 View Post
    any reason you put it at that side mate ?

Personally I would have put the garage at the other side then had 2 doors on it so you could fit 2 cars in the garage and one outside it, or are you trying to save some garden space lol ?
    Trying to save garden space. Their will be an extension going on the rear of the house at some point with space to walk out into garden area. That area has been left untouched for now. Ideally I would have liked a really big double garage but Nat didn't want to lose all her garden lol. This will comfortably fit my evo with doors fully open,my bike and decent work bench area. You can still get a car round the back along with a few in the run way :-)
    Last edited by Paddy; 23-09-2013 at 18:43.

Rides
    Looks promising, did you have to go through the process of getting planning permission? I ask because I'll be building a garage next year and I think I will exceed the permitted development regs so will need planning permission. At 32 square metres and under 1m from the boundary I guess you needed planning permission too?

And hand digging the foundations... nutter!

Rides
    Yeah mate,had to go through planning permission. As for hand digging the foundation. Well,I'm in the position just now where I need to save as much money as possible and try and do as much work myself. As said earlier,it will not be a quick build. I will be looking for deals here and there for material ect and also asking for advice from friends in the trade. I'm a bricklayer myself so ain't anything in this I can't handle.

Next up. Ordering reinforcing mesh and getting quotes for the concrete to pour the strip foundation. Hopefully get this built up out the ground soon.

Rides
    Was the planning permission a painful process? Seeing as you are pretty much mirroring your neighbours garage position I guess there wasn't really any objections?

Rides
    No,planning was fine mate. I have good neighbours so no objections.

Rides
    One of my mates are gonna be using spotmix for his concrete for his foundations as they were giving him the best deal mate worth giving them a try

Rides
    Coming along............errrr.......slowly .

Dandan, if you need any help or adivce with planning then drop me a message. It's what I do every day. I work here www.andrewdavison.co.uk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus23 View Post
    One of my mates are gonna be using spotmix for his concrete for his foundations as they were giving him the best deal mate worth giving them a try
    Most likely be spotmix doing mine also mate.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Coming along............errrr.......slowly .

[/url]
    Its slow mate I know. Should get into it more next week.

Rides
    Saved up some money and managed to get some materials for the build. Also got a few goodies for inside. Should see the actual build starting soon. Need to remove the water from the foundation then get spotmix in to pour. Blockwork will take no time as myself and father are bricklayers so should be done in a weekend. Plan is to get the blockwork built and floor poured before crimbo. Cant see much more than that happening to after newyear.

Last edited by Paddy; 29-11-2013 at 16:38.

Rides
    Ok guy's,sorry for the lack of updates with this build. Been trying to pick up bits and pieces when I can afford them.

So to date, the strip foundation has been poured and we have managed to get the blockwork up out of the ground. Done a little back filling today to try and get rid of some of the excess earth. Still a fair amount to lose. Probably a skip full. Also managed to load out materials so should get a decent bit done this weekend weather permitting. Anyway,here are some pics of the progress.