Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost-a-Kouki 180SX

Rides
    Went to Blyton Park today for an open pitlane trackday. Quite an attendance, some 50+ cars booked! I went over with a couple of mates from Leicester, one in a mk1 MR2 and the other in a B18 Civic.

Car was pretty spectacular. The only thing I got passed by all day was a Radical SR3 The last section of the track was just awesome, proper pin it and hang on kind of thing!

I bought some photos which I will upload later if I remember. There are a couple of things I will need to address though in order of importance:

1) Brakes went in a big way at the start of the day, not sure if it was the pads glazing or the fluid getting hot. Got a little better as the day went on but not great. Some judder too by my last session

2) Some wheels that fit with a slightly less aggressive alignment. Mostly on the front really. I had raised it before but it still scrubs a touch and a little less camber would probably kill most of the understeer I was getting.

3) Cooling. Currently using a standard radiator and the car performed admirably tbf. But I was only doing 3-5 laps in a go due to the brakes. An ally rad at minimum is possibly on the cards.

4) Transient response. Always in the power band on track so it isn't bad really it gets up and goes in a hurry. However a small twin scroll setup for the bottom end would make it perfect everywhere! Thinking more road response.

I didn't find myself lacking for power even once so that's a good sign. It's a pretty sweet balance at the moment even with the slightly shonky tyres on. I dread to think what it would be like on some proper track rubber!
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 05-10-2013 at 17:38.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I like blyton even though it's not a proper track. Shame I only managed about 8 laps before I blew my engine

Good to hear you're enjoying being back in an s-body
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    If needed, I got an alloy rad for S13 with sr20 available

Rides
    Mate sounds like you had a great day, i really enjoyed blyton when we had the weekender there, a great little track with plenty of runoff. I would get a proper track alignment done on your car, that will transform the handling along with better tyres.
    keep up the good work though, that car looks like an absoloute gem.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    I like blyton even though it's not a proper track. Shame I only managed about 8 laps before I blew my engine

Good to hear you're enjoying being back in an s-body
    Shit, what happened to yours? I've been before in my last car and enjoyed it then but it was a lot more of a challenge this time with the extra power and a "proper" diff.

I adore these cars, can't tell you how much I love wringing the neck of them!

Quote Originally Posted by boyou2 View Post
    If needed, I got an alloy rad for S13 with sr20 available
    What is it? I'm only buying quality parts for this. I had such a faff with the ebay ally rad I bought last time (and ended up with cooling issues STILL) that I can't be bothered trying to bodge something in again.

Quote Originally Posted by LED sandwich View Post
    Mate sounds like you had a great day, i really enjoyed blyton when we had the weekender there, a great little track with plenty of runoff. I would get a proper track alignment done on your car, that will transform the handling along with better tyres.
    keep up the good work though, that car looks like an absoloute gem.
    I'm limited on alignment by the wheel fitment unfortunately. I know what I would run otherwise, I had a good setup going previously. The only thing that puts a spanner in the works is the welder. But you know what? For track work I think it's brilliant. Only thing I found is I have to be a little more positive on the throttle after I've turned in to neutralise the understeer it adds off throttle. The extra tyre pressure helps a little in that respect.

Honestly if it had proper tyres on (R888s / AD08s etc) I'm not sure my brain would be able to keep up with it

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Warped the head on mine due to cooling issues, in hindsight I think the hg was on its way out anyway.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    That's a shitter. A lot of heat generated at 400hp though...

Some of the photos from yesterday

The last one kinda shows that the camber is probably there or thereabouts - tyre is completely flat to the tarmac turning in!
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 06-10-2013 at 14:38.

Rides
    well it's a cheapo one, but I bought one for me in the same shop, never had any issue with it, it's straight and not twisted as you can see sometimes with this sort of parts when you buy it.

Rides
    Got round to having the car undersealed and made ready for winter this weekend by Stuart at Auto Genie over in Norwich. I remembered seeing a thread that ABT put up in February about the guy's work and wanted it to be looked after by someone who knew what they were doing.

Very pleased with the results! Cost me £150 and he commented that it was the cleanest S body he had seen in terms of lack of corrosion. Hopefully now it will stay that way. I have some photos he has sent which I will upload later showing the floor as it was and as it is now.

Cannot recommend his work enough, really nice chap and very professional.

Rides
    Some photos of the work. The lack of factory undersealing is quite appalling really - the whole transmission tunnel area is completely bare! Up to the chassis rails is covered, but not particularly well it would appear.

All fixed now as per the last photos

Rides
    Gaaaah that's bloody lovely, definitely an itch I need to scratch some day. But with VS-KFs on. Or Blitz Z2. Basically Koguchi.

The one thing I'd suggest, and it's so irrelevant to the car's use etc..... but Ganadors?

Other than that, cool

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavbo View Post
    Gaaaah that's bloody lovely, definitely an itch I need to scratch some day. But with VS-KFs on. Or Blitz Z2. Basically Koguchi.

The one thing I'd suggest, and it's so irrelevant to the car's use etc..... but Ganadors?

Other than that, cool
    Cheers man.

Eh, I thought about spangly mirrors but I'm just going to get the standard ones working. They fold and all sorts, or they would do if the electrics worked. I keep meaning to get the ammeter out and have a poke around but time seems to be at a premium right now!

I'm going to get some new wheels next year and then for me it will look exactly as I want it to. Bar the paint match. I was dead keen on another set of RPF1s in 17x9 ET22 flavour with the same size tyres as I'm running now but I'm not sure now. XD9s will always look the shit or maybe some SSR MS1s or...

Rides
    if you're struggling with the folding mirrors, let me know, although I don't have any complete sets, I should have various spares, gears etc you could try.

when you open them up, you'll find some gears, early are metal, late are nylon. iirc I have some spares of the nylon type.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    I think it's the switch that's gone or something between the switch and the mirrors as it doesn't matter if you're adjusting or trying to fold - nothing works.

I'll get round to having a look at some point.

Drivers side window has been intermittent recently. Well no, it was intermittent... now it just plain isn't working Bizarrely it was fine for a few hours after the track day? Then it broke again and hasn't worked since

Rides
    Lol at Gary and Kev looking miserable in the background

Guessing you used Auto Genie? Stu did a great job on my car too

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Lol at Gary and Kev looking miserable in the background

Guessing you used Auto Genie? Stu did a great job on my car too
    Yeah, it was a thread you posted back in February about it that put me on to him

Rides
    Most recent mod is a Toyota Aygo

As much as I'm an advocate for using these cars daily, I am heading towards 20k+ miles per year and this is both expensive and probably not the best thing to do with a car which has some ~60k miles on it!

So I bought a brand new Aygo last week. I would have saved some money and bought a second hand one but for £150pm with a warranty and a years free insurance it was hard to ignore. Should save me quite a sum in fuel at least travelling to Coventry every day

Still, means I can use this thing properly. It will be out in the snow too (if there is any) as it will be shod in some winter tyres soon! Bought them ages ago, may as well stick them on now

Rides
    What a beautiful example of an s13 i just love it whit the type x bodykit and the right collor too i had 2 s13 all in red but whit the facelift body not kouki.

Will follow this for sure.

Planning on selling it?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jockiboi View Post
    Planning on selling it?
    Definitely not I'm buying a house this year so the car will be sat idle for a little while but every time I see it or get a chance to drive it, I can't imagine not having it on my driveway!

I drove it on Sunday for an hour or so and it plasters the biggest grin to my face every time I get in it The only things I want to address are the location of the loom in the drivers side front wing (will relocate inside the car at some point), better brake pads / fluid and a chunkier radiator to keep the temps in check on track. Keep contemplating new wheels but I have no idea what I want really. Keep looking at RPF1s but would be nice to have something else as I had them on my last car too. I do know I'll be going for slightly smaller widths though with a slightly chunkier tyre. All of that will have to wait for the time being though!

Rides
    Haha i understand you i hade the same smile on my face when i had my s13 everytime i did drive it.. it did beat the hell out of any 10000£ car easly