Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost-a-Kouki 180SX

Rides
    Thanks fellas, it passed in the end! He was arguing with me for some time about the wheel fitment and was convinced it wasn't a pass but couldn't find anything in the system to fail it under. Got there in the end.

Been driving it a bit the last couple of days and decided I have to do something about the terrible bodge I put in place on the hot side charge pipes. Where I blew a hole in the silicon from the compressor outlet, I cut the bit off with the hole in and added in a cheap piece of ally tube to get me by. However this keeps making a bid for freedom... so I've opted to buy a new 45° outlet pipe, a new straight and 90° piece of ally charge pipe and some connecting silicon in the hopes of having a slightly more permanent fix that doesn't keep leaving me at the side of the road with a screwdriver in hand fixing a rather large boost leak...

Time to enjoy driving it for now while I get money together to sort my bathroom out (moved up the priority list somewhat!), then I will get an exhaust made up, buy some ABS to make some arch liners for and look at making a splitter of sorts. Hopefully nothing else goes wrong before then!

Rides
    I read this a long time ago back when you were at Blyton, it sucks you have had so many issues since!

Glad you've not given up on it though, it really does look awesome when it's all in one piece.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    I read this a long time ago back when you were at Blyton, it sucks you have had so many issues since!

Glad you've not given up on it though, it really does look awesome when it's all in one piece.
    Plenty of room for improvement yet

I've decided I don't want more power... I would like it to be nicer to have NA (or close to) response for the driving I'm doing.

I've got loads of stuff lined up, just need some more money!
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 24-05-2015 at 20:18.

Rides
    Sup dude. Still into the manifold. Let me know when you're ready

Rides
    Right, something needs to happen with this car as it has mostly been sat on the driveway being shitted on by the local bird population.

List (love a good list)

Get wheels that fit with new tyres
    Get less awful exhaust
    Fix AC
    Sack off the welded diff
    Fiddle with the front suspension
    Make an undertray
    DRIVE IT

As much of this as possible needs to be done before the end of August because I'm taking the family on holiday in it for a week down to Cornwall!

Anyone want some Rota Torques?

Rides
    Can strike a few bits off that list...

Sold the wheels, new ones on order. Won't be here for another 5 weeks though!
    Got the diff off and should be getting a 3.7 ratio diff in exchange this week
    Bought a stock undertray and arch liners for mock ups. I haven't had a proper look at them yet, I may even be able to use the stock undertray with some tweaks.

Got a quote for the A/C - £60 + VAT to get changed over to the new gas and checked over. Bargain! Confident that can be sorted now.

I'm going on a welding course in the next couple of weeks too, so I'm hoping I can pick up a chunky silencer for cheap from somewhere which I can weld in after that.

This car is actually very nice to work on some times. The chassis is in great condition (even if bits of the bodywork aren't). I'm tempted to pull the subframe and tidy that up while the car will be sat there for weeks with no wheels on. Definitely want to get the new diff tidied up a little and make things look presentable and keep the rot away.

I've got a whole load of ideas for this thing, the only thing I'm lacking is time!

Rides
    Oops.

Rides
    dont do it tom

Rides
    Definitely happening. I don't mind SRs, but I love V8s. Especially NA V8s. Besides, I work with turbo engines every day, it'll be far more interesting to get my hands dirty on good old fashioned NA tuning.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Yes mate
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    The v8iluminati in me says no, but i do love a v8 haha.

Rides
    They're quite wonderful engines. The bottom end is ridiculously robust and can take a good beating. I'm aiming for 320-350whp out of it in the long run, but the plan to start off with is just to get it in the car and get it working. I'll use it for a bit like that and hopefully get it running a Megasquirt MS3X in the next 18 months (maybe longer...) so it'll have fully sequential fuelling and ignition (the standard EMS is 2 distributors and semi sequential injection) in preparation for a rebuild.

The rough scope of work so far from what I know is:

~11.5:1 Compression Ratio (final CR I aim for depends on cams)
    Cams (spec TBC)
    Head work (the stock ports are a bit rancid but can be opened up)
    ITBs (40mm are the current favourites for the output I'm targeting)
    Custom exhaust manifold - equal length 4-1 is the plan (I don't need the extra torque a 4-2-1 would offer)

I've created a rough model of the engine to start simulating different parts, but I really need some good port flow data to validate it. I've just made a rough guess of that but obviously it's quite important to get that right for an NA!

Before someone chimes in "why not just supercharge it" or "just use an LS"... I fancy the challenge, building a tasty NA engine has been on my list for a while and these engines have picked up a lot of steam in the aftermarket world in the last couple of years, especially in Aus/NZ.

Should be a fun ride!

Rides
    ^ hope you've got deep pockets!

Rides

Rides
    I'm taking a welding course in the next few weeks so I'm aiming to do a lot of it myself (such as the manifolds) and the ITBs won't be off the shelf as they are extortionate.

Everything else comes to around 4k... which isn't that bad really. Given how cheap the car is, the engine is basically free so I could have done a lot worse on that front! That's for the hardware upgrade parts only mind and doesn't include any machining. The MS3X is about £650.

Hoping to be able to pay for most of the conversion bits out of the sale of my SR and associated bits. Haven't completely settled on a gearbox yet, but a Z33 box is leading the way at the moment.
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 02-07-2015 at 13:31.

Rides
    Make sure you've got a reserve fund. Have to say, a little sad to see you're burning your SR away, but interested to see what happens here.

Rides
    As I say, I'm just going to get the engine in first and then accumulate the money I need to do everything else and then when I've got the parts I'll get any quotes I need for any machining etc so hopefully be in good shape.

Not expecting cheap power I hasten to add I know what I want though and roughly how to get there whereas I was struggling to think of how I could get what I wanted with the SR without going for some overly complex boosting system...

Rides
    No I hear you, I do. My BW is doing good things but I still want to go for a V8 myself eventually.

Rides
    Picked the Lexus up Friday... It would be a shame to strip it, it's in surprising condition. All the electrics work perfectly, A/C works, lots of paperwork...

Even my parents like it. My partner who said "there is no way you're driving that old man heap" has come round to it lol

MOT is up 15th July, if it passes I think I'll hang onto it intact for a while and get the Nissan stripped and tidy up a load of things I didn't do last time. I don't think it will pass though, not without a big bill.

This wasn't the plan It was supposed to be cheap enough to be a throw away car not awesome!

Rides
    LS400's are incredible cars to drive, so comfortable and smooth. Shame that so many get broken up for the engines but needs must!