Thread: Smoking on warm idle...

Rides

Smoking on warm idle...

Hi everyone, I recently gave my s14a a full service. In the process changed the coolant hoses to a red kit, (Fitted 4 still don't have a clue where the other 6 go lol) I fitted a K&N oil filter and uprated R34 GTT Fuel filter - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1104700292...84.m1439.l2649

The oil I put in it was semi synthetic 5W-40 from a garage. Now ever since the service.. When I pull over once the engine is warm ( Only when the engine is warm ) If I stay idling / stationary for a minimum of 5 minutes smoke starts to bellow out of the back box. It ONLY does this when I am sat with the engine running whilst it has become hot, It doesn't make any noise or difference on start up / No rough idling etc.

Does ANYONE know wtf is causing this? A few friends said it could possibly be the fact the new oil is thinner than the old and something to do with valve stem oil seals.

Anyways I dunno lol, Input is greatly appreciated as this one is racking my brains all day long :S

Cheers

Ry

Rides
    Forgot to mention, If I put my foot down the smoke clears after about 30 seconds

Rides
    Normally smoke after a long idle is the turbo oil seals on their way out.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by snops View Post
    Normally smoke after a long idle is the turbo oil seals on their way out.
    ^^^wot he said methinks.
    It sounds like early signs, but the symptoms fit.
    I would guess that it's more likely to happen when facing slightly uphill too.

The thinner oil will be more likely to leak past the seals, so swapping it again now for a 10w40 may help delay the inevitable a while longer.

Rides
    Nooooo, just started driving it! Its been sat still for 6 weeks lol. Is there anything else it may be? Just trying to be optimistic haha

cheers

Rides
    Mine used to do it when the turbo was on its way out....

The cause is oil leaking into the exhaust and then burning off due to it being hot. Easiest way to diagnose it would be to get the turbo off and inspect it for play

Rides
    it does sound like turbo seals to me too. try a thicker oil and this may hold off the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    +1 for turbo seals, you sometimes get it after fitting a free flow exhaust etc but that is still the sign the turbo seals are past there best.

Rides
    Thanks guys. Gonna take it off this weekend and have a look. Anyone roughly guestimate a time period before I'm screwed?

Rides
    You wont see anything by taking it to be honest, nothing is visable unless its been hosing oil into the exhaust. You can pull the inlet hose off the compressor and wiggle the wheel to see how much play there is in it, its not a fool proof test but will give you a good indication of general turbo condition, (any in and out play is very bad, bit of up and down is ok). And before you get too worried if it is just the turbo seals mine went on for nearly two years like that before it got really bad.

There are a couple of turbo's for sale in the sale section so if your going to take it of to look at it you may as well change it.

Rides
    @paulsx very true mate, kinda glad I haven't gotta get a turbo straight away. I need it to see me through till new year at least. Then I don't mind buying an upgrade

Cheers

Rides
    Mine took quite a while to get from occasional , to noticeable, to "have to deal with this" level of smoking, but then I am a bit thick skinned when cars give trouble I think most people would have attended to it quicker than I did.

documented here if anyone's interested :
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...=1#post4409453

Rides
    It's crazy how your car used to look Jon!! Fair play for getting all that work done bud. I guess I should be looking at t28s now haha

Rides
    Do any of you guys think I'd be better off ( expenses wise) just getting a refurb or whole new turbo?

Rides
    Last edited by ryry92; 26-09-2013 at 19:00. Reason: I didn't mean to post it twice

Rides
    A second hand turbo will be cheaper than a rebiult dude. X

Rides
    Get in touch with GDUK. They usually have a few in stock Although it's a good excuse for an upgrade! I changed mine to a GT2871R when my turbo started puking smoke out.

You might find they have a GT28R or GT28RS in stock second hand which won't cost you too much!

Rides
    I did think about upgrading.. but don't have the dolla for different mani / elbow & remap.

will look GDUK up though cheers guys

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ryry92 View Post
    I did think about upgrading.. but don't have the dolla for different mani / elbow & remap.

will look GDUK up though cheers guys
    Stock mani will fit a GT2871R without any changes needed! The elbow is always a good upgrade Try and grab a japspeed one they aren't too expensive!

Or again.... speak to GDUK as I sourced my mani, turbo, injectors, AFM and other bits from them!

Rides
    Don't tempt me with japspeed elbow lol, I'm still getting used to rwd and turbo.. not sure it's wise to upgrade this early lol