Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets all rave over Full Race manifolds here

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive "is a 14 year old" Littlechild View Post
    Nice one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tbf wardy started the new thread I just helped
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFIA View Post
    Personally I think they look absolutely stunning, very nice looking welds, however I think the initial engineering design is poor, firstly all the weight is on the welds not within the machined faces, also the fact that its top mount which would raise the centre of gravity which is a shame, for me the Tomie expreme manifold is unmatched by anything, low mount turbos for the win.
    Aey men to that I own a tomei one, its the only manifold I've seen that has power graphs to support it. What cracks me up is the cheap replicas that claim the same power figures

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFIA View Post
    Personally I think they look absolutely stunning, very nice looking welds, however I think the initial engineering design is poor, firstly all the weight is on the welds not within the machined faces, also the fact that its top mount which would raise the centre of gravity which is a shame, for me the Tomie expreme manifold is unmatched by anything, low mount turbos for the win.
    Mine lasted 3 months before the first weld cracked. Another member on here I know had one that lasted 2 x 15 minute sessions.
    tomei stuff is awesome but im not a fan of the manifolds. I think your paying more for the name rather than the product.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_20085 View Post
    Mine lasted 3 months before the first weld cracked. Another member on here I know had one that lasted 2 x 15 minute sessions.
    tomei stuff is awesome but im not a fan of the manifolds. I think your paying more for the name rather than the product.
    Any pics of this?

Rides
    Afraid not. This was 5-6 years ago. 100% tomei though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_20085 View Post
    Afraid not. This was 5-6 years ago. 100% tomei though.
    No pics, then I don't believe you

Rides
    Mines been on a year done several drift days etc and car was sat on its arse. Flexi down pipe is the key

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffries View Post
    Mines been on a year done several drift days etc and car was sat on its arse. Flexi down pipe is the key
    Got it in one a flexi takes the stress off a manifold from cracking

Tomei manifolds are often slated for cracking but no one ever puts how ! other than its "over priced cr@p ! "

Rides
    I never said it was overpriced crap. I said I know of at least 2 that have cracked. When your paying 5 times more for a branded item like tomei you dont expect it to crack after 3 months. Mine was fitted without a flexi downpipe but as far as im concerned tomei doesnt state you need one and they dont make a downpipe as far as I know. The manifold I ran for 5-6 years after was a custom made one by a local fabricator and was less than the tomei one and never cracked once or even looked like it was going to, and that was without a flexi as well.

Rides
    My Greddy manifold has a flexi in the downpipe and a flexi in the wastegate return pipe. Still hasn't stopped it from cracking though. When Hayward and Scott welded it up for me they said there's nothing that can be done to prevent it from cracking again as the issue lies in the crap material used. That's why a lot of manifold fabricators are using steam pipe as it's rediculously thick and copes with the heat better. Not sure how the welding can be improved though as that seems to be where mines cracking at the moment!?!

Rides
    Full Race

Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 04-11-2013 at 13:05.

Rides
    WOW, This was all going on in my build thread despite the fact I'm getting Warby to make me a custom manifold to replace my Greddy TD06 manifold as knowone makes one anywhere near what Warby can.

lol lol lol. chuckle.

Rides
    Making exhaust manifold is not rocket science. But there are few things too look at. You need good material, thick enough, good welder that knows a think or two about welding heat zone, and how the material reacts with high temps. Thats why you get the crack just by the weld and not on the weld couse the material molecular structure is not the same where the welding heated it, it becomes stiff, and cracks easy if you put weight on it. Manifolds are not designed to carry the turbo. You need to make braces that will take the turbo weight.

I bought used Hdev manifold. Putted it on my car and it didnt seal properly on the engine side. I then machined both flanges, puted it back on and it lasted few days before it started blowing again. Then I made a brace that connected my turbo elbow(where on the downpipe side) to the gearbox, so its fixed on 2 points to the engine. And today 1.5 year later it is still all good. And when you look at the manifold it looks rusted, but still works great!

I bet a chinese cheap manifold wont crack if you make braces that will suport the weight of the turbo, even on topmount.

Some ideas from google

Rides
    Its the vibration that makes manifolds crack - the metal work hardens, goes brittle and cracks. Bracing is essential.

Ben, did you have the wastegate and screamer pipe hanging off the manifold? Bet thats why it cracked.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by doggy View Post
    Ford Cossie's seem to run them a lot.

Warby. Wanna make one of them as well lol.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Full Race

What was hanging off that though? Wastegate and screamer? Was it braced or vibrating about stressing the metal ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    Its the vibration that makes manifolds crack - the metal work hardens, goes brittle and cracks. Bracing is essential.

Ben, did you have the wastegate and screamer pipe hanging off the manifold? Bet thats why it cracked.
    This.

Stainless steel work hardens when heated, only way to avoid this is use inconel.

They use it for f1 manifolds. Its expensive.

Rides
    Mmmmmm inconel.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyb123 View Post
    This.

Stainless steel work hardens when heated, only way to avoid this is use inconel.

They use it for f1 manifolds. Its expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by M200sex View Post
    What was hanging off that though? Wastegate and screamer? Was it braced or vibrating about stressing the metal ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post

Yes, wastegate and screamer on there, not braced, same as pretty much every other kit on the market...

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Just cause everyone does it doesn't make it right...