Thread: New engine or rebuild

Rides

New engine or rebuild

Driving along today and suddenly I hear something snap, car lost power and died.

Looked everywhere then realised my coil pack 3 was hanging above the rest. I realise its snapped it from screw and its come firing out.

Finally got car towed to garage
    As a result My SR20det block 3rd cylinder has lost compression completely and got low readings across other all other cylinders. My mechanic advised that cylinder 3 is screwed that when he tried doing compression test there was no thread left, spark plug fired out

What's advisable? New engine or rebuild. It was at stage 2 before but I would like to aim higher and better as wanting to keep the car for long run. I want to be aiming for over 360bhp.

If rebuild is an option what would fellow sxoc members advise? For such a build (I don't have the experience or knowledge for engine rebuilds hence why I ask)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts :-)
    Could be a Christmas project

Rides
    Help sxoc members? Miss having the beast on the road

Rides
    If you have the money, a forged engine is going to peace of mind at 360bhp, but not essential.

Either way, unless you're going to weigh your engine in then you need to dismantle it. Take off the head, you might find you can helicoil a thread back into cylinder 3. Else you could get a scrap cylinder head and build it up.

Rides
    The limit of the standard internals is said to be 400bhp if mapped correctly with right mods.Plenty of people are running 350+ bhp on standard internals.I have a mate with a PS13 running 375bhp with no probs so far.Also to be considered is the strength of the gearbox at this power level.I would say just get a GOOD second hand engine and throw it in.Like anything,it all depends on your budget.If you have the dollar then a forged build is the way to go to futureproof your engine and get it ready for big power,but don't expect much change from £4k if you are not doing the work yourself.A second hand engine will get you back on the road quickly and relatively cheaply.

Rides
    Bad news man. Considering the price of sr20's these days i'd just throw another standard one in till you can save up to forge your one (if the damage isn't too great). Shamless plug but i only want 500 for mine or a guy is selling one for 350 in the for sale section

Rides
    Why dont you just fit another head?

Rides
    another vote for fitting a new head.... got to be at least worst whipping the head off and checking if there is any other damage before deciding what to do... good second hand heads are pretty cheap

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sammos13 View Post
    another vote for fitting a new head.... got to be at least worst whipping the head off and checking if there is any other damage before deciding what to do... good second hand heads are pretty cheap
    Will go for this option and see how bad the damage is, will list the outcome on here

Rides
    yeah a new head is the sensible option, if your paying labour have them drop a bore scope down and look at the piston, if its damaged then put a second hand engine. its a pretty easy diy job and a good way to get to know the car.

what was the compression on the other cyllinders wet and dry?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...