Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New S13 owner

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LED sandwich View Post

....I'd definitely recommend a cambelt....
    Gates do a full cambelt and tensioner kit that is good quality and reasonably priced.

I've had 3 on mine and have one ready to go on.

They need changing every 7 years max on low mileage cars.

This... (you can probably get it cheaper. This was the first one I found on the bay of e)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S13-200SX-...item22ff84b65e
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 01-01-2014 at 17:48.

Rides
    I will be rolling the arches but no flaring so it shouldn't look any different to stock and everything else I do want reversible so I'm looking for fmic's that don't need the battery tray cutting and so far I've only found the Norris design one which I haven't found much info on.

About selling the parts the spoiler is 100% rust so you really don't want it. So much so I thought it was made out of foam on first inspection. You can literally fold it and the wheels I will be keeping as winter wheels.

As for the power thing I'm not actually driving it atm as i don't want to ruin it driving the 70mile a day commute and putting bikes in and out so will be getting a van aswell as a daily, so it should be on the road when the weather clears up o and I will be driving it standard to start with so Incan appreciate what each mod has done.

Quick question about the front sidelight/ indicators, can you get all orange stock ones or am I going to have to paint them? Want a American drl sort of thing
    Last edited by bikerboywill; 01-01-2014 at 20:35.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboywill View Post
    About selling the parts the spoiler is 100% rust so you really don't want it. So much so I thought it was made out of foam on first inspection. You can literally fold it and the wheels I will be keeping as winter wheels.
    Erm.... I was hoping not to have to pay for it, I don't care how rusty it is, it IS made out of foam and I would still like it I want it so I can learn more about them by opening it up. Having said that, if you are keeping the wheels, its probably not worth my while trying to collect it.

Fair enough with the wheels but bear in mind that mint OEM 5-spokes are rarer than hobby-horse droppings and skanky corroded ones are worth nothing even with tyres on so keep them clean and protected with alloy wax to protect your investment so you can refit them if you sell without your fancy new wheels.

Regards the arch rolling, I'm not sure what you hope to achieve if you roll but don't flare.

Rides
    There two colour lenses are stock, as for the arches, wait and see what you need to do.

The Norris kits are really good quallity but do have some funny bends from what I remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Erm.... I was hoping not to have to pay for it, I don't care how rusty it is, it IS made out of foam and I would still like it I want it so I can learn more about them by opening it up. Having said that, if you are keeping the wheels, its probably not worth my while trying to collect it.

Fair enough with the wheels but bear in mind that mint OEM 5-spokes are rarer than hobby-horse droppings and skanky corroded ones are worth nothing even with tyres on so keep them clean and protected with alloy wax to protect your investment so you can refit them if you sell without your fancy new wheels.

Regards the arch rolling, I'm not sure what you hope to achieve if you roll but don't flare.

That's fine you can have it if you want it for that as it will only get binned. Where are you based I work in Exeter so am quite central. As for the wheels I've seen a few decent sets on eBay for £50 so not too fused about keeping them immaculate but I'm pretty good at not kerbing wheels.

O and the arch rolling I hope to gain 10-20mm more clearance by flattening the lip on the arches but will obviously get the wheels before doing it.

I know the two colored lenses are stock but I wondered if I was able to buy a solid orange pair without the clear

Rides
    If your going to mod it... leave the body as it is, s13s can look stunning without body kits and fiberglass and hold their value better in my opinion

But welcome to the club, I was new on here just over a year ago and people on here have helped me a lot! Oh and I've got some right bargain parts from the for sale section

Edit: to the post above, lenses, US eBay
    Last edited by maff_1991; 04-01-2014 at 17:36.

Rides
    That's the plan, not keen on the big body kits you can get on these, especially as the splitters on them hang really low which would hinder my low and practical aim lol

I've just got back in from removing the mud flaps, the dodgy pin stripes and claying the whole thing. I can't believe the difference claying makes, the paint feels like glass before I've even started flatting it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboywill View Post
    That's the plan, not keen on the big body kits you can get on these, especially as the splitters on them hang really low which would hinder my low and practical aim lol

I've just got back in from removing the mud flaps, the dodgy pin stripes and claying the whole thing. I can't believe the difference claying makes, the paint feels like glass before I've even started flatting it.
    great work mate, pop some pics up.
    be careful with the paint if you dont have a thickness gauge though. it is pretty thin on these cars if its like glass with a clay then just a machine polish and wax should do the trick

aaron

Rides
    Ahhh thanks for the advice but it feels like glass, dosnt look like glass so it will have to be flatted back abit. Unfortunately it seems like the previous owner didnt know much about car cleaning because there are thousands of little scratches from dirty washing. I'll just start a compound grade up and see how it goes

Rides
    yeah you should be fine with that, sounds like you know what your doing mate, get us some pics up

Rides
    Well so thought i should probably throw some pictures up to keep the thread looking pretty

Over a sunday afternoon and a couple of evenings I clayed the whole car which was really worth doing. Worked up through 3 grades of compound to remove most of the scratches, i didn't get the deep ones as i wanted to keep the paint as thick as possible. Then a good going over with AG Super Resin Polish which if you polish your car and don't use you really should be and finally, 2 coats of Auto Finesse Tough Coat paint sealant which should help it stay shinier for longer

I rolled it out for some pics:

As you can see from the last picture the paint is quite orange peely but im not brave enough to correct that so thats as clean as it will ever be.

Got some Waxoyl and stone chip so i can sort out the tiny patches of rust in the arches so i should have a completely solid base

O and I also removed the mud flap as i dont think they will line up with 10j's too well

Rides
    Nice!!!

Rides
    You have it that shiny are you are not happy with the paint ?!

Im sure 99% of people on here would be delighted with that paintwork

Rides
    Agh no, didnt mean it like that. I'm super happy with the outcome it's just not gonna win any shows

Rides
    Depends what shows you go to

Rides

Thumbs down

Well thought i would do some to the 200 today,

I removed the wiper arms and sprayed them to get rid of the peeling paint that all 200's suffer with for some reason. Really happy with the outcome

Then thought i would remove the spoiler and wiper ready for some boot smoothing but found this

Thought it was just suface rust under the spoiler but i have a f**king massive hole so not really sure what to do

and the culprit..

O well, im fitting a new cam belt tomorrow, how hard can it be....

Rides
    Looks like one of the better bootlids !

Rides

Thumbs down

Really!? I really hope it can be fixed as I really cba to source and fit a new one

Rides
    I must have the cleanest boot lids on my S13's around . Take it to a body shop, aparently they warp to hell if you weld them.

Rides
    Awesome :/ if only they came from the factory without spoilers wonder if it would be better to fibreglass it