Thread: Engine starts fine when cold but not when hot.

Rides

Engine starts fine when cold but not when hot.

This is an SR but not in an S body. It runs fine at idle and im 90% sure there are no boost leaks. AFR seems to be about right. The engine has been rebuilt with new rings and valves lapped etc and running tomei Cams 260/270. When it is left to warm up a little ~50degrees and i switch it off it will not restart. I have tried removing the fuel pump fuse and cranking but still will not fire. it doesnt even try to catch. I havent set the timing with Consult yet but will be doing that soon. Ive read that the injector o rings could be leaking but this would still start after cranking the get the fuel out right?

Anything else i can check? I will check for fault codes when i plug consult in anyway. I havent done a compression test yet could this be the cause?

Jon

Rides
    Ecu temp sensor?

Rides
    when that happened to me (on a toyota) it was the fuel pump dying

Rides
    It's a new pump so should be fine. Will check the ecu temp sensor then. Is there a check that can be done or just replace it? What does it mean if it's broken? Thanks shogun.

Rides
    Not 100% sure about your engine (SR). The signal from that sensor is used by the ecu to control the cold start (together with some other bits and pieces), function similar with old times choke. If it is broken, it may give wrong values to the ecu and the engine may run fat/lean and distirb the starting function. In older engines a broken capacitor on the alterrnator also caused problems to start a warm engine.