Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Project CA, Pictures!

Rides
    Right. After finishing work I decided i was going to crack on and get the intercooler completely mocked up so I could mark where the pipes come through the inner wings and weld them up so it all looks neat and tidy, but this involved putting the engine in for a short time which kind of excited me

I'd like to add that front mounts are a pain in the arse to line up! I'm just lucky I have holes like this in my inner wings at the moment!

Rides
    Any reason why one of your pipes (first cold pipe) doesn't follow the "smooth, flowing" pattern of the others ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Any reason why one of your pipes (first cold pipe) doesn't follow the "smooth, flowing" pattern of the others ?
    Do you mean the 90 degree bends? The one by the turbo kind of helps me because the gtx2867r is not "elephants trunk compatible and the bend other 90 degree bend going through the body I thought all s13 front mount pipe kits were like that because me old one was too?

Rides
    Bottom left of the picture, the first black pipe coming off the IC towards the plenum has an angular two-part bend to it.

All the other black pipes are smooth, large radius curves.

I've never seen a black hard pipe kit before so assumed it was a custom job.

So, my question was just that I was wondering why it had an angular welded bend when the others looked like they were mandrel bent.

I don't know, but I imagine that bend will negatively affect the throughput of the IC.

Rides
    Oh that part, my old intercooler pipe kit is exactly the the same? Has the welded bend too?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by maff_1991 View Post
    Oh that part, my old intercooler pipe kit is exactly the the same? Has the welded bend too?
    Mine is the same ,I think its a 2 fast 2 cool fmic kit or what ever their trading name is these days,
    I think its ok it looks worse in the pictures imo,
    the bend is quite sharp and possibly they did it that way in sections to stop it denting inwards if it was bent on a mandrel pipe bender
    I was going to one day get my metal fab/Ali welding mate to do me another one with more sections and make a smoother radius
    with the inside ground smooth and flush of course but its not a must be done job imo

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    Mine is the same ,I think its a 2 fast 2 cool fmic kit or what ever their trading name is these days,
    I think its ok it looks worse in the pictures imo,
    the bend is quite sharp and possibly they did it that way in sections to stop it denting inwards if it was bent on a mandrel pipe bender
    I was going to one day get my metal fab/Ali welding mate to do me another one with more sections and make a smoother radius
    with the inside ground smooth and flush of course but its not a must be done job imo
    Well this intercooler kit is a toyosports black pipe one so...... Must just be the design so it doesn't go up through the middle of the battery tray? Not a clue

Rides

Project CA, Pictures!

Right update time, only did a few little bits today, wasn't it the mood to get the car in and weld up the inner wings so I did a few other little bits and bobs

Firstly more car parts

Fitted new high ratio throttle pulley, thought I'd give it a go as it was only £20 from the states

Size difference

Anyone that wants to try one of these pulleys just to let you know you have to modify the accelerator pedal rest either by drilling it and putting a bolt through or raising it completely, haven't done mine yet as the engine isn't in the car but I had to work that out looking at this

Also when I got the car my front bumper didn't have the little grill slats so I was left with these little bolt holes

So I got my dremel out and sorted that

Then I decided to give the whole front bumper and splitter a strip down and clean

I need some new splitter brackets as mine have gone crusty

And that's all I really got up to, spent a little bit of time helping a mate fit a snap off boss to his 14a (below) and that's about it!
    Last edited by maff_1991; 06-07-2014 at 21:37.

Rides
    Those splitter brackets come with the splitter @ 275 plus vat. I made my own.

Rides
    Those splitter brackets come with the splitter @ 275 plus vat. I made my own.
    Looks like I'll be doing the same, another job to add to the list

Rides

Project CA, Pictures!

Not a lot done again today as somebody decided to strip a unit engine down right I front of the door I push my car into, and as we have such a big yard and a one way system I couldn't push it to another!

So I decided I'd check the energy subframe bushes and make sure they fit an s13 (they are made for an s14) subframe before I send it all away for powder coating etc, I like the energy bushings as they slot together and on an s13 do not require you to remove the main outer metal rings on the subframe

The only thing you do have to do on the s13 for them to fit is burn the factory bushes out and remove these metal rings which are only on two of the four mounting points

All the slots should look like this with the outer metal ring in tact!

And then waaaa laaaa!

Didn't push them right in as the subframe isn't ready yet but I think by far they are the best poly bushes you can get for an s-body subframe and are only £65 imported from the US

I also decided to start welding up some facelift wings I had to fit mine as they were split and needed the holes welding up, but half way through it noticed there were a lot of hidden ripples covered in filler and I didn't want to put them on my car..... So I'm going to buy brand new ones my nissan dealer is really raking it in from me!

So these are for sale, all need repairs, red ones are half done converting to pre facelift, all need repairs, £40 a set or the lot for £100

Need to fund my new ones which are around £600 I believe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by maff_1991; 12-07-2014 at 21:48.

Rides
    Just read the whole thread!
    Nice build man! Keep it updated!

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    I'd have a phone around mate, it would appear Dealer prices vary, as we found in this thread;

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...ht=crossmember

Rides

Project CA, Pictures!

Right I let this slip again, mainly because I haven't really done a lot because I've been part collecting again, but next weekend I plan to fit the subframe and diff, and send the car to have the bay painted, couldn't let it go with a locked diff as my painter wouldn't of been able to push it about

So the here's where I'm at at the moment

Have a pretty much new cusco 1.5 way diff to go in, no picture unfortunately as I forgot to take one

Brand new genuine wings

Brand new genuine wind deflectors

Brides, as you can see they're not matching but that's being sorted as we speak, also got some material to re-cover the rear bench

Subframe powder coated and energy subframe bushes fitted

Next weekend I'll crack on and do a lot more, spent a lot of time playing around with little bits and doing research
    Last edited by maff_1991; 09-08-2014 at 13:03.

Rides
    Subframe looks great. Blue and red looks spot on.

Rides
    I have to say I'm not feeling the colour scheme on the subframe Matt. lol.

...and you paid £500 for a pair of wings !!

Oooof !

Rides

Project CA, Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Subframe looks great. Blue and red looks spot on.
    Cheers was trying to match the subframe with the blue on the engine block, close enough I'd say

I have to say I'm not feeling the colour scheme on the subframe Matt. lol.

...and you paid £500 for a pair of wings !!

Oooof !
    Yeah the red bushes do make it a bit toy car looking lol but once it's bolted up I think it'll look ok

And about the wings, i was welding up a "good" pair of wings that had splits in and hit a filler patch, then I noticed the arch curve wasn't right, got another pair of wings that turned out to have filler where the stripe goes with a massive dent behind it and you'd never get that right again...so I threw a massive paddy after wasting £100 on two pairs of wings and drove straight to Nissan I got a bit of discount too

Rides
    Red bushes FTW in my opinion. You don't see people in UK fitting energy bushes so it makes your car original.

Rides

Project CA, Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Red bushes FTW in my opinion. You don't see people in UK fitting energy bushes so it makes your car original.
    Surprising really because the design of the bushes are so much better than other alternatives we get here, think I'm going to buy the whole kit and do all the arms

Had to get these separate anyway as they only make full bushes for s14s and just inserts for the s13

Easy to fit the s14 ones though, you just don't cut the outer ring off

Rides
    So today didn't go very well, I removed the subframe

Noticed a lot of bolts were loose which has knackered most of the hub bushes and also only half the arms were poly bushed, proper bodge job so I've ordered a whole energy suspension bushing kit, hope 5 stud knuckles have the same bushings as the standard 4 stud because I've ordered the s13 kit, so that's ground to a halt for the time being

Noticed my cusco diff casing is missing the pipe out the top for the diff cooler so now I've got to swap the LSD into my casing but here is the diff

So now the subframe was out I decided to have a look around and blow all the dust away with an airline so I could schutz and waxoyl the body, I noticed a bit of silicone flapping on the rear arches and found this after some poking

One step forward and two steps back....