Thread: S14a heater vent clicking problem

Rides

S14a heater vent clicking problem

My heater vents make a clicking sound when on all but one position. It's intermittent but it does it 80% of the time. Video showing the problem should be below. Has anybody else had this problem before?

http://youtu.be/mdMQJr8d1W0

Rides
    That's a new one on me.

It clicks nastily in every position except "face and feet". Is that correct ?

Does the air flow actually change to blow on the screen when that button is pressed ?
    If not, it must be that the direction flap is jammed, and the motor trying to move it to a new position is skipping teeth on it's cog/quadrant (I've never seen the actual mechanism).
    I'd first suggest checking near where your left foot rests, or near where the passenger's right foot rests, in case there's an external object jamming the movement.

Rides
    Yes it clicks on every position except the face and feet position. It always blows air to the right position, but it clicks most of the time. Sounds like a cog skipping, like a motor is trying to keep rotating it. It's like as if it thinks it hasn't met it's finish position. I've never heard of this problem before so thought sxoc might have

I've looked down below and can't see anything obvious

Rides
    I know this thread is old, but did anyone find a cure? I have exactly the same clicking issue :-(

Rides
    Bump! Anyone figure this out? Something seems to be stuck somewhere but for the life of me can't figure out what!?!

Rides
    Down near the floor behind the centre console, a motor moves a metal rod to move a flap to redirect the airflow. That would be the first place to check. To me it sounds like plastic cogs skipping over their teeth trying to move to the right position. So either jammed, or worn. (That if there is cogs, I am guessing as I never had the need to poke around under there.)

Rides
    Just thinking about this, there must be electrical stops to tell the motor to stop once the flap is in the right position. Maybe these are failed for two positions and the motor continues to try to move the flap beyond what it can, hence it skipping teeth on the cog. Could be a simple fix if you can in there to poke around.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    Down near the floor behind the centre console, a motor moves a metal rod to move a flap to redirect the airflow. That would be the first place to check. To me it sounds like plastic cogs skipping over their teeth trying to move to the right position. So either jammed, or worn. (That if there is cogs, I am guessing as I never had the need to poke around under there.)
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    Just thinking about this, there must be electrical stops to tell the motor to stop once the flap is in the right position. Maybe these are failed for two positions and the motor continues to try to move the flap beyond what it can, hence it skipping teeth on the cog. Could be a simple fix if you can in there to poke around.
    Sorry but thanks? Am looking to acquire a donor unit to test. Will then swap over some parts to figure out what's not working correctly. Research suggests the actuator has had it. Not an easy part to find now which means prices are steep. Will report back when I've figured it out. Wish me luck, ha ha!

Rides
    No worries! What I mean is that there could be electrical stops (like contacts/ switches) that get pressed by a lobe when the directional flap is in the right position to tell the motor to stop turning.

Anyway, keep us updated as it is useful information for keeping these old girls on the road. :-)
    Last edited by markcro; 21-10-2023 at 15:18.

Rides
    lol directional flap

Rides
    Oh matron !! ;-)

I was down on my knees last night and I had a goo at what controls the flap....

Direction flap, not to be confused with piss flap.

Rides
    Heater flap selector thingy

Heater flap selector thingy

Problem solved! It was the actuator. Took a punt on an ebay listing and it paid off. How long it lasts who knows but for now it's back to working as it should, yes!

Rides
    Nice one!

Rides
    Got a link?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by p.nicholas View Post
    Got a link?
    I ended up buying a second hand complete unit for £65 Paul. New part's close to £200 but can be acquired from EFI Solutions (TAARKS) or Z1 Motorsports.

Rides
    EFI Solutions are amazing for parts, and so cheap compared to European prices.

Rides
    That’ll come in handy thanks