Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: milsom 93's Project Skids S13

Rides
    The car is looking quite good.

Rides
    looking good bud, i had same problem with my 13 the top rad hose split so bought a set of 3 samco hoses off e bay and found i had to join 2 together for the bottom rad hose as it was far to short.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    The car is looking quite good.
    Thank you, she is no beauty queen but I'll get more consistent on track before tidying it up and painting it.

Quote Originally Posted by john905 View Post
    looking good bud, i had same problem with my 13 the top rad hose split so bought a set of 3 samco hoses off e bay and found i had to join 2 together for the bottom rad hose as it was far to short.
    Cheers dude, must be a common thing. I see it as one more place to leak but it'll be reyt. Come to think of it, the set was 3 hoses and the two joined up and positioned perfectly for the bottom

Rides
    Well Teeside was, interesting

Set off early and met up with some friends. Got half hour in and the temp reached 95 and started spewing coolant out of my new overflow and into my windscreen as I had pointed the hose up (doh). Did a road side thermo stat removal which turned out to be open. Any how now the car kept its temp all way there at 80, result. Once there and ready filled the rad back up and went out. As soon as the coolant expanded it was spat back out on to track. This was the cycle for the day pretty much. Other than that the day was good although I didn't learn as much as I wanted due to spending loads of time letting it cool. I did how ever drift with 30psi in rear and as get some more angle on select corners.

All in all a bad day for the car. I crashed on the big track and got some bruises from this

The wider front wheels give me loads of grip and did a little rubbing (specs on mirror are tyre)

Worst of all though even though I have split the loom down and tied it back, the wheel has still rubbed on full lock and suspension travel where the loom goes down and into the car. So there is now bare wires which I need to sort. Luckily Charlie spotted it well before the wires snapped.

I'll get some insulation on that and pull them out off the way. But I put my old fronts back on to avoid any more damage.

The bonnet and engine bay are covered in dry coolant

How the car looked at the end of the day

Now on the way home the car had a paddy again and heated right up about 20 mins from home. It ran like shit after this miss firing and blowing smoke but the old girl sorted herself about and runs as it should again. I've got to say these CA's are tough cookies.

Looks like the water pump we placed in is faulty as there is hardly any flow to the coolant.
    Think it's time to start thinking about building another engine to bolt in.

Rides
    check the thermostat bud, mine over heated last time out and the centre of the stat fell into the head, it was stuck shut with only the small hole in the middle for coolant to flow. At least it wasn't to bad a crash bud, me and a mate fancy a bit of Teeside is there anywhere you could recommend staying over night with 2 recovery trucks. Cheers John

Rides
    check the thermostat bud, mine over heated last time out and the centre of the stat fell into the head, it was stuck shut with only the small hole in the middle for coolant to flow. At least it wasn't to bad a crash bud, me and a mate fancy a bit of Teeside is there anywhere you could recommend staying over night with 2 recovery trucks. Cheers John
    We took it out at the road side mate as we thought that was the culprit but it was wide open when we took it out. I'll do a compression test but may well be a head off skimmed and back on along with a waterpump. Think I'll get a more powerful fan also as I have never been impressed at the power of my current set up. When I did the NYE drift day I stayed at Premier Inn (TS17 6QB). Was a 10 min drive and loads of parking. Plus slightly out of the way so no reason for people to walk past. Let me know when you're up and I'll see if I'm working.

Rides
    Yeah will do mate, might be worth sticking the viscous back on bud as I here they are better. Thanks for that will look into it

Rides
    Yeah will do mate, might be worth sticking the viscous back on bud as I here they are better. Thanks for that will look into it
    I was thinking this, I need a shroud now as I give mine away thinking I wouldn't need it

Rides
    I don't run a shroud as my intercooler pipes are in the way, i have made an under tray for mine to help suck the air through and until my last drift day it has never over heated. I also ran a fan on the intercooler due to mine sitting right in front of the rad but i never needed it. I have bought a bottle of water wetter of ebay as I'm paranoid about it over heating

Rides
    I don't run a shroud as my intercooler pipes are in the way, i have made an under tray for mine to help suck the air through and until my last drift day it has never over heated. I also ran a fan on the intercooler due to mine sitting right in front of the rad but i never needed it. I have bought a bottle of water wetter of ebay as I'm paranoid about it over heating
    I know what you mean, after this I just want to fit a system that has no chance of overheating. I'm going to fit viscous back on with a shroud if I can get hold of one and make up some ducting from the intercooler to the rad to force the air through. What temps do you normally reach whilst drifting?

Rides
    I havnt fitted an aftermarket temp gauge yet, but the standard temp gauge has always sat at half way while drifting my oil temps do creep up tho to about 115degrees after I have been drifting, but I have just bought an oil cooler.

Rides
    I havnt fitted an aftermarket temp gauge yet, but the standard temp gauge has always sat at half way while drifting my oil temps do creep up tho to about 115degrees after I have been drifting, but I have just bought an oil cooler.
    From what I learnt at Teeside, 110 degrees ish is the first bar up from middle then it rapidly shifts. 130 was red which is not good to have found out. My oil temp does seem to creep but I don't think high coolant temps were transferring. Interested to see where you fit it.

So the car runs like shite when first started hot and blips when idling every 15 or less seconds.

Decided to do a warm compression test see what the frack is as it's still not cooling properly. I'll. let the results tell the story

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 4

Cylinder 3 - with cup full of oil

Cylinder 4 - cup full of oil

Rides
    Does the expansion bottle smell petrol'ly? And is it loosing water?
    Jack had similar issues so we comp tested it and got 155psi + on all 4 but all wasnt good! Look here http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...-project/page2

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Does the expansion bottle smell petrol'ly? And is it loosing water?
    Jack had similar issues so we comp tested it and got 155psi + on all 4 but all wasnt good! Look here http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...-project/page2
    Unsure about the expansion tank smelling of petrol but it does bubble and is loosing water so I'm sure head gaskets gone. Impressed it lasted this long to be honest.

Had a quick read again as I am subscribed to this thread but the pictures I want aren't working haha thanks though

Rides
    Bit of a boring update. Because of the car was running like shite, loosing water, bubbles in expansion tank, water expanding like crazy and overheating a lot decided to just whip the head off and have a ganders.

Stripped everything off and took head off with inlet attached

No obvious sign of head gasket blown but it was mushy in a lot of areas

Stripped head bear ready for skimming

Sent it off for skimming and ordered lots of bits from Nissan. Come back and turned out the head was warped

Cleaned up mating surface

Gave cam covers a lick of paint whilst they were off

Rebuilt head again and attached inlet with new gasket

Fitted in and torqued up

Now I decided to go back to viscous and even bought a fan cowling but various things in my way stopped me for now doing it but after watching the DW S15 running a jag fan that was super efficient I did some research and got an x-type one for £20 delivered I decided to give it a whirl. Cut up my old fan to make a sort of shroud and space fan away from rad

Mounted to shroud and had to beef up the electronics as it was blowing 30A fuse just on start up

Before you couldn't feel the air being pulled but now it will suck gloves and reg plates on it there is that much air coming through

Tried to start car and it wouldn't even try. Checked injectors by wire colours and 2 and 3 was wrong. Set up CAS as half moon in CAM snapped. Now car wanted to start but just could hold it. In short Chris once again went super out of his way even though he was super busy and had a look. Within 10 mins she was firing better than ever. New plugs timing a tooth out and CAS re adjusted to new timing and it fired right up.

Been away so will start back on it this week and try get a fresh mot on it.

Also had this delivery

Fresh oil and filter and new gearbox oil. Engine oil in just gearbox to do after MOT.

Also bled it up with coolant and before it would open thermostat turning the fan on which would never switch off.

The jag fan comes on at a set temp and with a minute or two it truns off as it's got the temp down but time will tell.

Rides
    That's not a boring update, it's quite interesting. The head looked quite clean where the lifters sit. Keep up the good work.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    That's not a boring update, it's quite interesting. The head looked quite clean where the lifters sit. Keep up the good work.
    Non boring to me is track photos but I did learn loads doing head gasket change as it's a first for me. Thank you.

Cars through its MOT with only failing on coilover locking nut loose and brake clip missing. Chris also set the timing and I fitted a HD stage 2. The car for once is running really well and much better on boost now.

The jag fan is working wonderful. When the thermostat opens the car will rise to around 88 at which the fan will kick in and within a minute or two the cars back too 82 when thermostat closes again.

Did the gearbox oil at which I have Jonny Wilkinson to thank as I tried the fill bolt and it was mega F.T. so i opted to fill via the shifter before draining the oil like I saw on a thread before. This was not good

Much better with fresh in now

Done a fair few miles and seems ok for now. Just looking for a drift day now on my days off. Here's some random pics.

Rides
    Sooo been absent for a while but from the last update I manage to attend a drift day at Rockingham. The car was going well but just didn’t want keep coolant inside the system last minute. A few jubilee clips changed, tightened and added extra ones for good luck.

Any ways the car drove beautifully all the 2 and half hours to Rockingham and once I got out on track there was an awful misfire on coming boost. Just had to keep your foot pinned and it would ride through. In the end the legend nexts to me in the pits give me some spark plugs and it solve it by 90% but it was still there but I just lived with it.

Other than that the car was spot on and the track layout was amazing and I finally felt more lock would be a good idea as I was sat on full lock for the majority of the first two bends.

The journey home went well and car behaved thankfully. All in all very good day and will be back very soon

On inspection on return, the loom has started to wear again from the tyre although not as much as it was tucked more. This has been temp solved by some ali I had lying around until I get some smaller profile tyres on the front

Tyres need work still as on the front

Tiedied up the wiring as I was messing with the loom and found this welding work with a very slight layer of surface rust. It’s now sanded, zinc primered and painted black

Engine bay looks sorry for its self with all the dust

There is an oil leak, from the gearbox I think that needs looking at and the missfire needs looking at, although it’s gone away now after sitting for a bit.

Finally I’ve created an undertray from the intercooler to the rad even though it kept its temps really well. Try channel some more air into rad

Rides
    The standard big plastic under tray was missing?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    The standard big plastic under tray was missing?
    Unfortunately yeah. It never come on the car and they seem to be very rare these days