Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Polofours s14a

Rides
    Well it was a longer break than I thought it would be, I have been off work for three weeks now but every time I look in the garage I just couldn't be arsed

oddly enough it was my little one that made me get back to it, shes only two and she stuck a Dunlop sticker on one of the pile of wheels in the back garden and weirdly that rekindled my interest in the S body!!

I started to make the panels for the rear corner and went to tack them in to place ready to fully weld in and had major blow through issues, the metal was clean but pitted quite badly.

once I cut the tacks out I cut more bad steel away until I reached somewhere i knew would be good, took quite a lot out in the end but it makes access easier and this area will be covered by over-fenders and spats anyway.

used my handy angle finder and bent up a new piece to fit the enlarged hole, I left a 10 mm overlap all round that will help stop blow through by acting like a bit of a heat sink

And then welded it in. a bit rough but havent welded in nearly a month!!

Then I made up the curvy bit of the wheel arch. pretty simple curved it over a t dolly with a tinmans mallet and massaged by hand to fit.

I welded it in along the base and about half way up the sides, have stopped for the day though but have all day tomorrow to get it done,

I really want to be bolting on the sub frames and wheels by the end of next week to have a rolling chassis (body jig for sale soon!!)

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Good to see you're back at it again mate, good progress too
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Good to see you're back at it again mate, good progress too
    Thanks, once this bit is done I have to repair the passenger side floor and then I can put gravitex the crap out of it and wheels! unless I find more little holes....

Rides
    Good to see WIP again

I am gagging to get back on mine but the house is in bits still. Probably a blessing really as I couldn't weld in this heat we have had recently

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Nice one. Good to see you are back on the car again.

Rides
    split post because of 30 image limit, even though i only used 17?? mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Nice one. Good to see you are back on the car again.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Good to see WIP again

I am gagging to get back on mine but the house is in bits still. Probably a blessing really as I couldn't weld in this heat we have had recently
    Thanks guys, house's are pure hassle!

excuse spelling and grammar, have to take the little one swimming soon. got a fair bit done on the rear passengers corner today, made these two little plates first, the bent one is out of 1.6mm and the flat one is from 1.2mm. gives just under 3 mm of sill on top of the backing piece thats already there. strong.

they are to rebuild the piece of sill line I hacked off,fit weld grind, the usual process.

first plate.

second plate.

smooth enough.

then i cleaned up the edge of this yawning abyss! used a rotary file with a kind of scotch bright belt on it and it stripped paint right off and did minimal material removal.

masked it all up and coated the back of the arch with ETCHWELD from Bilt-Hamber.

Whi.st that was drying i removed a tiny piece of floor....

the piece fell inside the car so will fish it out tomorrow and get a picture of it. then re skinned the back, it went in really well, negligible blow through. some slight rippling of the skin but nothing that cant be sorted with hammer and dolly and a bit of heat ( or filler...) the only gap was at the bottom, it was cut out with a slitting disc and despite tacking all round to hold it still it kind of pulled itself upwards leaving a bigger gap at the bottom, job for monday that is.

bottom gap

Rides
    smoothed off what i had done, looks really good.

once this piece is welded in its one more plate and the back corner is done!!

found a few small holes too.this one in the rear wheel rch turret top seam, will clean treat and plate it.

this one might be trickier, i will probably take it out to the c section that runs along the interior side of the sill and rebuild a whole new piece.

and most annoyingly, at the front jacking point, i was hammering at the back and it crumbled apart
    i think i will try to slice it away and make a piece of angle to sit in there. what a pain. at least i might get to see my nice bead rolled plate again...

masked off the bits left to weld and gave it a coat of ETCHWELD, i think it looks alot better now.

Rides
    first thing this morning (well after a cup of tea and some catch up TV ) i welded up the bad join at the bottom of the rear wheel arch fix. wasnt too bad just needed some patience, had to cool it with a wet rag to help stop blow through. looks ugly, is strong.

Then put in the edge piece, it will need a trim to size but better too much material than too little, the skin looks badly pitted and corroded but there is still 1 mm of thickness there, down from 1.1 ~ 1.2 mm like the rest of the good skin pieces I have checked.

then a simple patch plate and some weld and it is whole again! the extra vertical line of weld is from where i welded the wheel arch liner to the skin for more strength and to stop gaps for water and road muck to get into. it still needs grinding flat but that wont take long then a trim to shape it a bit better and she is good.

quick check from the inside and it all looks good! will get in later to wire brush the welding marks off, hoover it all out and paint and protect it.

this is the floor piece I cut out, I am not too worried about the seat mount, I can always put in some seat rails. It is double curvature in a few places and I will make the replacement form two separate plates.

sound proofing all stripped back so it wont catch fire too easily. just used a hammer and screwdriver and some patience.

taped up the bigger holes to stop crap flying in to the back of my new repairs and allowing rust to nucleate. amusingly the stringy crap that comes from wire wheeling seam sealer went everywhere except the tape...

wire wheeled back with angle grinder. the seam along the rear seat had me worried but its not too bad at all, lots of surface rust and a bit of seam splitting but all easily fixable.

sexy plate made bead rolled for a bit of extra strength. had to call my neighbor over to help as I needed three hands!

tack tack tack... just tack it in... Happy Gilmore does welding. I put a slight curve in the plate to enhance fit, the beads haven't collapsed though so its all good.

started to weld it in fully, went really well, the angled gap in the bottom right corner of the next picture is a mystery though, I remember cutting it back with tin snips but cant remember why I did it, sigh. will put a little plate in there and learn my lesson. #muppet

all the way in, that's where I stopped for today, will order some U-POL Gravitex today so its here tomorrow ready for later this week. hopefully I can finish that floor repair, patch the little holes and then clean the underside up ready for sealing by the end of this week.

Rides
    Wow!!!

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboi200sx View Post
    Wow!!!
    we need to catch up soon, whats going on with yours? is it in one colour yet?

Rides
    Yeah i sent you some pics

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

Rides
    bill came round today to give me a hand, meant that two tasks could be progressed at the same time! legend. however things were so hectic I didn't get a chance to take many photos! I will go round tomorrow and do a catch up update.

started by getting this plate made and in.

then the hole at the front treated and painted.

bill working in the rear arch getting it prepped for gravitex and finding more holes... he was a bit worried about getting arc eye or burned by spatter so we cut up an old JDM plate to use as a shield.

looking pretty good. I think we put in another 4 plates but I will post those tomorrow. we also seam sealed loads and I also built a trampoline buts that's an irrelevant achievement

Rides
    Did a bit more today, this stage of the build is my least favorite so far, prepping all the seams for undercoat

Each seam is cleaned out, treated and then has fresh seam sealer applied prior to gravitex. its taking forever.

Front left wheel arch,

Found a hole in the seam so put a nice big strong plate in.

Left side underbody. just need to clean and treat the front chassis leg join and decide weather or not to seam weld the center section, then strip and prep the floor pan for new underseal.

Rear right wheel arch (mood lighting??) found one small hole at the turret seam so it was plated up no worries.

Thats the top of the floor patch that was done yesterady and prior to paint.

Had too much heat in this patch and was starting to chase holes so I stopped and will have to fill it with weld at a later date.

And finally I spotted this hole in the drivers side floor pan seam, hopefully when I investigate it wont be horrendous, the underneath of that side looked really good when I stripped it and I don't remember that hole being there before?

Also I need to bend a piece to weld in here, nothing major really.

That's it for today, BBQ duty tonight so I will probably have a late start tomorrow :Wack:

Rides

Just though I would start with that... so happy right now.

This is how the morning started, pretty average, getting pumped because I (assisted by friends and family) have made some real progress and the bulk of the really hard work is out the way.

First stop was the front of the chassis rail, cleaned, Hydrate 80'd and Etchwelded. Just surface rust so no problems here.

Stripped back the rest of the floor, a wire wheel makes short work of OEM underseal and leaves a good mix of paint and primer to be roughed back, this photo is after the first pass while i was resting my hands before going back to completely remove all the little bits of underseal. In a way I am glad I didnt pay someone to do this because I found so many little problems that I could fix on the fly and took the chance to seal ALL the seams.

Cleaned out the front of the chassis leg, again all surface rust. treated and painted of course.

Then got to work seriously sealing seams , pretty much every seam was sealed, the car has been dry stored for nearly 18 months now so I am not worried about trapping any moisture, before anyone goes nuts I did leave a few drain points in the chassis and the back of the sills will be having some drilled in when the car is ready for them.

At this point I was seriously smiling, I did some research last night and discovered a few little tips for spraying Gravitex, 1) Cover the breather hole! it hammers out if the gun has a funny five minutes. there are a few funny stories of people getting a face full... giggidy. the other bit was pressures, basically 60-70 for a flatter finish and 40-60 psi for the classic orange peel finish. I couldn't choose so I went for 60psi.

This is the stuff. I got 6 litres and a gun for just under £50, the Ebay seller was brilliant, not sure I can post up his shop name but if anyone is after it PM me

Dressed to impress, glad I did this it wasn't as messy as I thought it would be but was still pretty grim, and the fumes are killer its my happy face I promise

TRIUMPHANT!!

It looks really good, its not a full orange peel but its not flat either which is ok by me. Used around 3.5 litres and thats including spraying cavities, I know there will be bits to touch up and such so I have plenty of the stuff spare. It reacted with some of the Hammerite that I used to hold back surface rust in a few places but will touch that up tomorrow, if it doesn't look like it has adhered properly then I will strip the area and respray. I have come too far to not do this right.

Rides
    looks nice now its dried too. will have to redo those few bubbled areas. will do it this evening as it shouldnt take too long.

Rides
    A massive well done buddy!! Bet ur well happy!!! U will soon be assembling it up

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    A massive well done buddy!! Bet ur well happy!!! U will soon be assembling it up
    thanks, yeah I got the subframes out and am trying to track down a reasonable powder coating quote.

this is the bit i had to scrape off, it was really easy to do as it had gone all soft for some resaon, it has also stripped it back to the metal! will prime it soon and re coat it maybe tomorrow morning before the powder coat trip.

Rides
    Nice, keep going, I need the inspiration! what are the dimensions of the car and jig? I am treading the same path but have only just started upon it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by raygunn View Post
    Nice, keep going, I need the inspiration! what are the dimensions of the car and jig? I am treading the same path but have only just started upon it.
    I will measure it for you today mate, once my sub frames are powder coated and the car is the right way up on wheels my jig will probably be up for sale.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Polofour View Post
    looks nice now its dried too. will have to redo those few bubbled areas. will do it this evening as it shouldnt take too long.

How much did you pay for your roll over jig mate? Where's it from?