Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Lewis's RB25 S14a - The never ending project..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by leno View Post
    Have you checked the timing out of interest?

The hard wiring only takes half hour if that so yeah do that first. I used the original 12v feed as the switched live for the new relay so there is no priming, it's just constantly on.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate, it was timed up over a year ago. But, im at a point for my own sanity. Every possibilility should be checked and rechecked lol! So i'll add this on the list!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Forgive me if it's mentioned earlier, but have you checked for a vacuum or boost leak around the inlet manifold and idle control valve type areas?

This sort of thing happening when warm suggests it could be an idle air amount or control issue, with unmetered air getting in or something perhaps?
    Possibly... I seem to remember plugging some VAC's with bolts. (Not the greatest) instead of buying silicone caps. I honestly cant remember if they're dont that way still or not, but i will add this to be looked at too!!

Rides
    It really wouldn't take much to cause your woes I don't think in terms of air. It'll also be a bit of a bugger to track down possibly.

Rides
    So i've had a few days with some light Google searching for RB25 cut out problems. I've drafted a list of ton of things to check/double check and to do.

Also bought a few bits n bobs to relocate the battery;
    240AMP Battery Cable
    2x Battery Clamps + Distribution pooint
    250amp Distribution point (for joining the + to the new cable going to boot)

I'm going to look at replacing the water temp sensor, as this as well as the TPS can cause a ton of problems on an RB, £20 a pop its worth a punt. I'm half hoping that relocating the battery and going over all the earths in the bay MAY help with the problem i was having. I also now have a VAC diagram to check if i have those plumbed correctly....

Itching to get some bits done this weekend now!
    Last edited by Zeldoz; 10-04-2017 at 18:53.

Rides
    Just also bought a 300 AMP inline fuse for battery relocation and a large battery box for it to go into!

Rides
    Good luck with the jobs list for the weekend!

Rides
    Glad to see you have not given up on the 200 ,and l've just relocated my battery also pretty straightforward job to do
    Last edited by 200sxdon; 01-04-2017 at 20:38.

Rides

Progress....

So today came was itching to do as much as i could. After 3 different trips back n forth from Halfrauds telling myself everytime that i had everything i needed....I cracked on..

Installed 300amp connection box underneath the fuse box. Then ran the 5m 0gauage through a more consealed bulkhead hole i drilled and along the drivers side sill and then through into the boot.
    Still waiting on my battery box so just sat the battery in the boot loose for now..

I then hardwired my pump with a 100amp relay i had for some reason lol? Decided to esrth onto the chassis near the pump rather than using the existing loom which earth's elsewhere? After testing the pump we noticed a leak on the IN petrol pipe where it joins to the fuel rail/fpr area. Another trips to halfrauds for half decent clamps an they was tight!

Next up we relocated the washer bottle and sneakily stole the rear wiper water pipe as it ran exactly where we needed it to go. Wired that in off the existing wiring and got that wired in and working!

I then decided to start cleaning up the 12v wiring under the bonnet and under the steering wheel. My gauges were wired in through a cable i wnted rid so i temporary sorted that. I need to attack underthere there with a soldering iron soon. Not looking forward to that.

Decided to try and test our work. After being sat for 15 months it fired first time with a slight misfire which went with a rev. Was funny seeing it re-circ and dust fly out from around the air filter lol

I let her idle for 25 mins. The good news is it didn't turn off. That problem didn't rear its head.. for now..
    If it doesn't it definitely was some bad pump wiring or air getting into the lines..A few people called that!

BUT....Once warm it began hunting. 1-2.5k ish.. a blip of throttle it'll go away again.. now i drove it less than 1\4 mile so maybe needs a blow out, but thinking something else as it started once warm?
    Last edited by Zeldoz; 02-04-2017 at 23:18.

Rides
    Itching for the weekend to fit my battery box and properly mount the battery and washer in the boot. Plus, need to tidy some more 12v wires under the dash.

Going to run a new 12v power source on a busbar so i can spur off that with my various elec circuits behind my tablet. Rather than splicing into the cig lighter loom i want to even out the power draw.

I had FPR in my cupboard that i want to fit also, just need a new FPR gauge as mine got smashed with heavy things being luzzed in the cupboard.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 200sxdon View Post
    Glad to see you have not given up on the 200 ,and l've just relocated my battery also pretty straightforward job to do
    Cheers mate, sorry didn't see this at first!

Yeah wasn't bad in the end something i've been meaning to do for sooo long!

Rides
    Drove it to the shops today. Whilst on cold start it got there fine. 1,5 mile tops. Sat outside idling whilst shiela
    went to grab food. It cut out. I THINK it begun hunting or at least tried then died.

Waiting till shiela was back and it fired up. Then cut out as i stopped at the junction. Decided to hesitate and miss as i pulled out. Then went fine again. Cut out at another junction.

When i got in it was hunting again.

Gunnar clean the idle control valve and the MAF this weekend.. (again) and see where that gets me.

Be strong.. it'll work right soon......

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 200sxdon View Post
    Was a-ok in the end mate. See what you mean by straightforward. No idea why i never done it sooner!

Rides
    Continued tidying where I could in the engine bay. Managed to hide the HID ballasts behind the head lights instead of having them visibly mounted in the bay. Sorted out some of the old alarm wiring which is dead.

My heater matrix pipes were joined and visible at the bulkhead which was really annoying as it was not meant to be a only temp solution... that's somehow stuck awhile! Anyway, iv managed to cut them down to a better size and fit them correctly down the back of the bulkhead and running snugly behind the block. Such little space. But with them hidden again it's opened up the space at the bulkhead again. Less clutter...

Iv also done the battery to the boot. Which has given me food for thought on shifting the fuse box to the opposite side of the boot. I'll look into that. - Still needs some wires sorting, but it's there and it runs. Being a telephone engineer.. uneat wires bothers me .. and they need to be sorted at some point

I got a LED voltometer, as it'll be handy for me lol. I'm undecided if I mount here, or if it'll be handy to have somewhere on the dash?

Here's a bay pic since the battery has gone... it's a mess still..

I'm thinking this Friday I'll look at relocating my power steering pot. I hate where it sits and seen some nice builds where they are sitting behind the passenger side headlight. Nice and neat, and gives me room for topmount in the future..
    Last edited by Zeldoz; 11-04-2017 at 21:58.

Rides
    Good work mate.. fancy bring it to the tunbridge wells meet?

Rides
    Sweet build. Reading this makes me want to finish mine so bad ��

I tucked an R34 power steering pump just behind the passenger headlight next to the rad using the original bracket lightly modified.

From the front view it's barely noticeable too but still practical.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    Good work mate.. fancy bring it to the tunbridge wells meet?
    It won't be MOT'd in time I don't think. Plus I still have this gremlin to sort!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benkid View Post
    Sweet build. Reading this makes me want to finish mine so bad ��

I tucked an R34 power steering pump just behind the passenger headlight next to the rad using the original bracket lightly modified.

From the front view it's barely noticeable too but still practical.

Thanks mate!

That looks great. Did you manage to use the existing likes when moving it to that position? I guess you may need cut the return pipe down but the feed is solid isnit it?

Rides
    I replaced the lines with nylon braided hoses. If I remember correctly the original lines were all pre formed rubber hoses so chances are they won't be re-useable.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldoz View Post
    It won't be MOT'd in time I don't think. Plus I still have this gremlin to sort!!
    Ah right , next time then. Good luck with it

Rides
    It looks great I have had to similar problems with an rb to what your getting now. One where it used to hunt all over the place and that was AFM the next with cutting out was the fuel pump relay in engine bay only did it when it got warm. Keep up the good work. If I can help with anything just drop me a pm

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Benkid View Post
    I replaced the lines with nylon braided hoses. If I remember correctly the original lines were all pre formed rubber hoses so chances are they won't be re-useable.
    I'll have a look into that. Do you know where you got them?

Quote Originally Posted by sx rider r17t View Post
    Ah right , next time then. Good luck with it
    Tempted to pop up in the van just to have a nose!!

Quote Originally Posted by chris shrewsbury View Post
    It looks great I have had to similar problems with an rb to what your getting now. One where it used to hunt all over the place and that was AFM the next with cutting out was the fuel pump relay in engine bay only did it when it got warm. Keep up the good work. If I can help with anything just drop me a pm
    So there's a pump relay in the bay fusebox? I haven't checked this.

---

Iv cleaned the MAF yesterday and that's dried out overnight. Gunna remove IACV later and clean.
    Waiting on lots of things to turn up now.

Finally got a HKS mushroom filter and a SSQV. Coolant temp sensor is being replaced too as they can cause issues!

Failing that I tgink its multimeter out on the various bits lol

Rides
    Yea in the o/s fuse box there's some relays green ones I think swap them around and then try it do one thing at a time and try it to see if it repairs the problem then you know exactly what it is that's been doing it. The temptation is to chuck bits on and then you never really know where you are. Hope this helps like I say drop me a pm and I can help more or drop me a text I can send pictures and stuff 07546511652