Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: L16 JAY - Emerald Green S14a Project

Rides
    Awesome work buddy. The car looks stunning. Got to say though, the gold wheel nuts look so much better on your car than the black. Loving the additional trim to the side skirts too.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Awesome work buddy. The car looks stunning. Got to say though, the gold wheel nuts look so much better on your car than the black. Loving the additional trim to the side skirts too.

Thanks Daz! Yeh I did like them originally but soon realised there was nothing else gold on the car so changed to black to keep it all subtle. Not a fan of mad, silly wheel nuts anyway

Rides
    That just sounds like a reason to put more gold on the car lol.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Right! About time I updated this! 2017 was a great year for me, attending many shows all over the country and meeting lots of new people. Going to shows and meeting like minded people and seeing what others are building is what this is all about for me so happy days there. Here's a few of my favourite snaps from show season to start this on a high

Now, onto the bad news. I bought the car back in May 2014 from a member on here. He used the car daily in Scotland which I am now paying the price for, and hard. I have always made bits of maintanence to the underside with welding a new sill, front tubs etc. but never anything too extensive. This winter, I wanted to get underneath and really spend some time on cleaning it up. I knew it would be "scabby" and I knew of at least 3 holes that needed attention but once I got stuck in, I revealed something much more sinister. I'll let the pics do the talking

Subframe dropped:

...and stripped to reveal it was dead, full of pressure fractures

Upright bushes were gone:

Then I found some, err....rot:

This was the most concerning, straight through the rear chassis rail

and in the passenger footwell:

I could go on, but I won't. All in all, the amount of work is seriously shocking and very daunting. I weighed up my options and started to think that a re-shell or stripping it would be the only option but with a wedding on the way, I could do without that amount of expense right now. Plus, part of me really really wants to save this car! I've spent a few quid on the top and got it to how I like so with a some help on the welding, I decided not to give up. Luckily, all the structural points are absolutely sound so I will make this Sbod great again.

So, on to the repairs. I began but ensuring the whole underside was stripped of everything. I buzzed back all the scabby/loose bits with a knot wheel, ready for welding/treating. Mark started on the welding on the worse area, the N/S rear chassis rail. I cut away and treated the dry rot and then we got some plates welded in to get some strength back:

Obviosuly, all this needs to be cleaned up and treated. I'll be using Por15 products on this restoration, using a 4 stage system:

Cleaner Degreaser:

Agitate:

Then metal prep:

Which nutralises the rust:

Once thats left to dwell for 30 mins, it's time for the Por15 rust preventative paint (2 coats)

That's the back panel done. The underside will also be seam sealed and coated with a black top coat.

I have a spare subframe which I will rebuild with new bushes and arms. This will of course be completely shot blasted and powder coated. To stop me going insane, I've started building up some parts for the rebuild:

The old Exedy clutch was dead so I grabbed a new ACT Organic and also HEL brake hoses:

Also, some Driftworks LCAs, traction arms, hub bushes and a Hardrace ARB with links and bushes:

So there we have it, my progress so far. With S14s going up in value, this work is only going to add some pennies to the car should I ever sell it. Plus I won't die from it falling apart lol. Still lots and lots to do so I will try and keep up to date with this build on here. Thanks for reading, watch this space

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Wow, worse than I thought it was mate, glad you're sticking to it though
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Wow, worse than I thought it was mate, glad you're sticking to it though
    It is mate. Up close pics of rust always look terrible anyway but the more I’ve investigated, the more I’ve found. But I’m doing this job once so it should be A1 and better than ever in a couple of months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    UPDATE

Made some decent progress over the last week or so. We continued with cutting out rot, treating and then plating up to get some strength back into things. One of the big areas was the rear sections of the sills. There's a lot going on in the area with boomerang mounts, vertical sections and boxing so it was quite intricate. Nonetheless, we got it plated up here's a pre cleaned and treated pic:

Every section of the underside is being cleaned with cleaner degreaser and neutralised with metal prep prior to rust proofing:

All internal chassis sections are also being coated with Dinatrol:

I also notched out the radial sections of the chassis rail to stop fouling with the camber arms. The rear section is now solid and coated with Por15 rust preventative. A pretty laborious job on my own but nice to see some development!

[/url]

I've also started cleaning up the fittings. I'm trialling by just leaving them in white wine vinegar at this stage. It seems to clean the threads up nice but not so much on the heavily corroded areas:

Before shot:

And finally, some parts! Got this ABS delete kit from HEL Performance. Nice!

Rides
    Looking good man liking the look of that por15 where the best place to get it wanting to do the underside of my 14

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lawes24 View Post
    Looking good man liking the look of that por15 where the best place to get it wanting to do the underside of my 14

Thanks dude. I’ve always bought from Frost but Demon Tweeks have started selling it so I bought from there. There is always discount codes online and you set up an account, you can get a further 5% off. I saved around £28 on my £250 order

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by L16JAY View Post
    Thanks dude. I’ve always bought from Frost but Demon Tweeks have started selling it so I bought from there. There is always discount codes online and you set up an account, you can get a further 5% off. I saved around £28 on my £250 order

Okay cheers man il check it out wanting to do all the arches and under side on mine

Rides
    Update:

So I've devoted a lot of time to this over the last month or so trying to get the remaining rot cut away and welded. Another problem area was near the O/S front footwell. As with the N/S, it had rotted away through both skins, not quite as bad but still not good!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GeLgPC]

I cut away the rot, treated all internal sections and Mark plated up with new 1.2mm and 1.6mm steel. The entire sill and some of the chassis rails were also addressed:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GeLjbm]

Of course, this has all been cleaned, prepped and treated. I also seam sealed all old and new seams:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FLyLhf]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JXvQ2B]

and, the money shot! Can't believe how it looks now. Just waiting for top coat now:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21BDziq]

Had a delivery from Energy Suspension. These are the new diff bushes:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23RDZfA]

Cleaned up the Brembos as they were looking tired and the decals were horrible:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22x621K]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/EHuv9c]

Stripped down my old Exedy clutch to find it was totally buggered, down to the rivets in most places! I swapped out the pivot bearing, clutch kit and release bearing for my ACT Organic

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24nA5PP]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21BDyPQ]

Finally, I've started building up my material to build my fuel hose set up. I've gone for SAEJ30R6 hose for connections and this Cupro nickel/kunifer hard line for the main runs. This will all be fixed using bushed P clips

[url=https://flic.kr/p/231jWcg]

That's that for now! Really over the moon with my progress. I've devoted over 100 hours in the cutting and treating of rot and Mark has devoted the same for welding alone! It's been a colossal journey but I'm so glad we've got some strength back into the car and that it should last a while!

Rides
    Good work mate, you must be really happy to be cutting all the nasty bits out and replacing it with clean metal!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    Good work mate, you must be really happy to be cutting all the nasty bits out and replacing it with clean metal!
    Thanks! Yeh I still can’t get over how much work it’s took but I’m over the moon that it’s all solid now. Better than it’s ever been!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro