Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Received a call from Greenlight, not impressed at attitude

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BWanderers View Post
    So arry, we (dicks) have been trained to not accept renewal prices, we've been trained to ring around, we've been trained NOT to fall for "deal's for now only Mr Dick" fake calls to action, & we've been trained to not consider the 'Freebies' we're offered like extra Legal Cover have any validity. BUT, - Not trained to value service, NOT trained to value cover differentials & NOT trained to understand or value 'Broker Advantages', as you phrase it. Who's the Teacher here, & who're the pupils.

Whilst I accept plenty of us ARE indeed dicks, I suspect your industry needs to examine itself 1st, before bemoaning the 'pupils' they make their money from. Most of the comments on this thread (& most other threads that feature Motor Insurance) talk of very poor service, NOT very good service, (admittedly influenced as ever by the Rule of 42) which either means the profits from motor insurance are so low they can't afford good staff, worthy training or functioning CRM's, or alternatively don't see a value in investing in these...

Like you though I suspect, I wince when I see comments saying (all) insurance is a rip-off, etc, the oft expressed feelings relating to spending on 'things ethereal' rather than a pint in your hand or steering wheel in the palm. That is, until a car is stolen, suffers 'Rapid Corrosion', or modified by impact, then assuming the insurance Co. deal with the claim equitably & with pace, - value is suddenly perceived!

R.
    It's an extremely complicated subject and let's just say there's errors on both sides for sure. But ultimately customers get what they want and what they want is cheaper and cheaper premiums because they have no perception of value. Now, from a broking perspective, frankly I'm shocked that there's a lot out there that can even call themselves advisory and if a customer ends up going direct because they know more than the broker does anyway then that's a really sorry state of affairs. But still, customers continuously push the boundaries of their own knowledge in a subject they're ill educated in and can ill afford to make any kind of mistake given the complexities and the stakes they're facing being as high as they are when the get it wrong. But they still do it....

Ultimately there's pile it high sell it cheap monkeys and proper brokers offering proper service and advice. You can chose one of either, no problem. But customers rarely acknowledge nor support the advice giving broker, go with the PIHSICM and then complain that it's all gone tits up and service isn't there.

Bearing in mind my exposure to the industry, I've been with the same broker now for 6 ish years I think. Why? Because they've always done exactly what I've asked of them. That doesn't necessarily mean finding me the best 'deal' off the bat, but it just means managing my expectations, giving me a feel for what's out there and taking action when I ask them to.

If I wanted them to come at me with the bestest quote ever before even speaking to them at renewal then I'd just ask, but I don't see the point in them bothering finding me a quote 10% cheaper that has significant policy disadvantages and doesn't allow my broker to support my needs properly. I'd just pay the extra £40.

Of course there's a multitude of differing situations on this subject but I honestly feel if the customer placed a value on certain things that were not just price orientated then there wouldn't be the off-shoring, shit claims service, policy admin fees and other such that's spoiling the market proper in today's world.

But meh, I do commercial, and guess what's happening to that? Yep, direct sales and PIHSIC monkeys are moving in, because a small business man should be able to place his own insurance without advice because he understands it and stuff

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    Quite a few places I know take the renewal payment early. Again I've been with flux 3 times over the past several years. Once had a bad experience with them, but they've been brilliant with my other half nothing to complain of.
    If it states the money will be taken 3 or 5 working days before the date of renewal that's fine, but to then take the money and additional 2-3 days early is not. Flux took £800+ out of a bank account with less than half of those funds in it at the time leaving me overdrawn and then having to wait a few days to get my money back for a quote I never wanted to persue and still had time to reject according to their own paperwork.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    Def everyone plays companies off against each other, it's business and its.making the most of.your money

Say you want an extension on your house, do you get just one guy round to do the quote? Or would you call several for competitive quotes?

Same for cars, say you wanted to get an engine built, would you just call apt and go with whatever they offer? Or would you call several places and get some other prices? But how would you feel if the next time you wanted an engine built, and apt said "no we won't work on your car as I quoted you a job and you went elsewhere"

You're leaving out the crucial part in these examples. Yes, you should do research and phone around for quotes, that's fine. But what do you think APT would tell you if you came back after they quoted, and said "Norris said he'd do the same build for £200 quid less". He'd tell you to fcuk off to Norris with yourself. Very same as a builder would say if you came back after getting a cheaper quote on the extension. And in my opinion, tthey 'd both be right to tell you to fcuk off, and be sceptical about quoting you at all for future work.

A good broker should listen to your requirements and offer you the most suitable policy first time. Whether that is the cheapest, or the best cover depends on the individual, but any company/broker who will offered you a further discount because xyz quoted you cheaper, are a sham. Don't forget, that this is a big part of why your "loyalty" doesn't get rewarded by most insurers, and your renewals are higher Tha you'd expect. They have to offset all these discounts they're giving to new business somewhere, so its a nasty cycle.

You should all try living over here for a while, where you have appox 4 insurers to choose from, who all hate Japanese cars. They will regularly tell you to go with a quote you got elsewhere cos they don't want you and your statistically lethal car on their books.

Watfor(d), but now temp in Stutton, Zuffuk..., then temp in Armitage (Bog centre of the world)... then FINNNALY to Quarry Bonk, Brum!! puff puff.
    Rides
    Fair Do's arry, if nowt else, this thread has allowed just a little extra light to be shone into/onto a subject & industry few of us fully understand or appreciate.

R.

Rides
    One thing we all know is insurance is a rip off at the best of times I for one will do what I can to get the right terms and conditions that is right for me and my family each and every time. If you piss a few people off in the process who gives a ****, too bad too sad get over it.

Rides
    I have to say, I don't agree it's a rip off. It protects me from financial harm.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I have to say, I don't agree it's a rip off. It protects me from financial harm.

I agree. 12 months of cover for you against an unlimited amount of potential damage, to you, your car, and anyone around you and all the property involved. People don't cop, in the event of most accidents, the smallest part of the claim is the couple of grand to fix your car. Generally, claims involve injury, meaning insurers have to pay huge settlements for treatment, loss of earnings, ongoing physio and special care for years to come.

If you had to pay for all that yourself, I bet it would easily exceed every insurance premium you've ever paid, and then some. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Rides
    Fair point.... But all depends what you class as reasonable. NOT giving you the best quote and cover in the first place or doing what you can to get the best quote and cover . If I had stopped at the first quote not only that but the second and third I would have been "ripped" off over $500 for far less cover. Yes I play companies off against each other I'm sure they get pissed off. Do I care?? Not in the slightest.... Did my family get a good deal on our insurance. I would like to think so. Shouldn't have to work that hard tbh but I like to think of it more of a negotiation.....

Rides
    Yeah I must admit, I don't see the issue with shopping for quotes but like most I would ways go with the best quote first time rather than a 'price match'.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by auz200sx View Post
    Fair point.... But all depends what you class as reasonable. NOT giving you the best quote and cover in the first place or doing what you can to get the best quote and cover . If I had stopped at the first quote not only that but the second and third I would have been "ripped" off over $500 for far less cover. Yes I play companies off against each other I'm sure they get pissed off. Do I care?? Not in the slightest.... Did my family get a good deal on our insurance. I would like to think so. Shouldn't have to work that hard tbh but I like to think of it more of a negotiation.....
    Book of business 101:

Never offer your best deal because they will always want a better one next time.