Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which antivirus

Rides
    Funny no Scream from Cluck Yet ?????

I though the mere mention of AVG on SXOC would give him apollexy of the highest order

Rides
    Not sure cluck comes on here much nowadays.
    NAV and malwarebytes for me. 30 quid for three licences off amazon with a DVD you don't use and mwb is free but does try to sell an upgrade. Fair enough if you ask me.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    TBH the Microsoft one is as actually pretty decent, unobtrusive, and free. MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), you can download it from the MS website.
    It's not that great...

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/...ows/windows-7/

MSE / Windows defender is typically used by the independant AV test companies as the lowest/baseline level of protection for which other packages are compared...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    MSE / Windows defender is typically used by the independant AV test companies as the lowest/baseline level of protection for which other packages are compared...
    There'd be no point in them existing is they didn't up the ante over the free zero effort offering.

Rides
    Ok I've unistalled zone alarm and I can't get defender running, it's like it's not there. I've been searching and it looks like the only thing I can do is reinstall Windows to get it back and I'm not going to do that so looks like I'm on the look out for new av.

Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by acp calsonic View Post
    Looks interesting, Ill look into it. cheers.

Until I decide fully im putting Avast on to keep me going.

Rides
    ESET, if you're going to pay.

Rides
    Here you go.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-cent...for-pc-laptop/

Tests conducted by PC Adviser and German Security Lab "AV-Test"

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clai cerrig View Post
    Funny no Scream from Cluck Yet ?????

I though the mere mention of AVG on SXOC would give him apollexy of the highest order
    ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Not sure cluck comes on here much nowadays.
    NAV and malwarebytes for me. 30 quid for three licences off amazon with a DVD you don't use and mwb is free but does try to sell an upgrade. Fair enough if you ask me.
    Indeed, I'm far from a regular visitor to these parts these days .

As for the topic at hand, I'll just sound like a stuck record when I mention Norton but aside from one utter fcukwit a few months ago (and really, no AV software would have stopped his system getting infected - his desperation to view some boobies overtook any common sense he had and he ignored countless warnings from the web browser and Norton) I have not dealt with a single case of malware or spyware getting past an up-to-date copy of Norton in 6 years now. But if some of you want to run other AV software that has been proven time and time again to be utterly crap then you go for it, I am truly beyond caring now.

And no, I still don't work for Symantec and I still earn nothing for recommending them.

There is one downside to Norton though and that's the pricing. They have scrapped all the old products and there are now just 2 available. One that covers 5 devices and one that covers 10 devices, with backup capabilities. The 5-device product is quite a bit more than the old 3-user version, so for folks protecting just 1 or 2 PCs, it's not very cheap . Remains to be seen whether or not they start providing heavy discounts to the likes of Amazon et al.

Rides
    You can still buy v21.0 for 25 quid for 3 licences...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Norton-Inter...+security+2014

I know its not Norton Security 2.0 which is 43 quid for 5 licences but the "old" version must still get updates, no ?

Also, I think you can get 1, 5 or 10 machine licences not just 5 or 10 but even then its still 35 quid.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 04-12-2014 at 06:48.

Rides
    @Jonny W - You will still get virus definition updates, yes, but you will very rapidly have an out-of-date AV software package. Unlike previous versions, where you could automatically download the latest software for free, there is no direct free upgrade (currently) available from Norton Internet Security to Norton Security 2.0 . It's a shame as I know the price is going to put a lot of people off. A huge number of my customers just need it for their one PC, but this new version is designed to protect PCs, laptops, phones, tablets etc etc. In short, if Norton say they support the device then you can load it on there as one of your 5 (or 10) licences. Great if you have quite a few devices but not so great if you just have a single computer. No doubt Symantec will keep an eye on how the pricing impacts on sales.