Thread: using 19psi now and then on 1a chip?

Rides

using 19psi now and then on 1a chip?

Hi all.
    Recently had a vacuum leak fixed. Was warned that due to where the leak was (t piece off plenum for boost gauge), gauge may have been reading less psi than I was actually producing. Well the thing is it both feels like its pulling harder now and the boost hits about 19psi now quick as a flash.
    I am at 1a with all necessary bits plus tubular Mani. I know I'm supposed to go Max of 17psi on jez chip but what damage will I be likely to get keeping it at 19psi?.
    I very rarely use WOT, only give it the beans now and then, not on the limiter drifting or prolonged driving like a tit, my car is my daily. Ta

Rides
    19 psi is well past what that Turbo can push, you'll just be throwing out hot air.
    It's also past the amount of fuel the stock injectors can manage too.

Expect fun things like detonation and holes in pistons for xmas.

Turn the boost down, especially now as it's winter and you'll be getting colder denser air in anyway.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    19 psi is well past what that Turbo can push, you'll just be throwing out hot air.
    It's also past the amount of fuel the stock injectors can manage too.

Expect fun things like detonation and holes in pistons for xmas.

Turn the boost down, especially now as it's winter and you'll be getting colder denser air in anyway.
    Doh!but it feels sooo good. Just didn't think a 2lb difference would be too detrimental. I'll wind it down ta

Rides
    dont run 19psi on that setup

Rides
    If you want more power, it will be a lot cheaper to turn it down then invest in upgrade parts to take it to Stage 2+ than it will be to leave it as is and risk having to invest in an engine rebuild. Det doesn't take long to spanner an engine as it tends to break the ring lands and broken chunks of piston rubbing up against the barrel walls isn't how it is supposed to be.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    dont run 19psi on that setup
    *shuffles off outside and turns down* ta

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    If you want more power, it will be a lot cheaper to turn it down then invest in upgrade parts to take it to Stage 2+ than it will be to leave it as is and risk having to invest in an engine rebuild. Det doesn't take long to spanner an engine as it tends to break the ring lands and broken chunks of piston rubbing up against the barrel walls isn't how it is supposed to be.
    Thanks mate. Will do. Maybe you can answer this too. Asked on Horsham thread but no reply yet. Can jez remap my 1a chip for s15 injectors but minus the z32 AFM?. Can't afford to stretch to 555s

Rides
    I'm sure he could map it but I bet the cost of mapping would be more than you would save on injectors

Rides
    The simple answer is yes.

Whether it is a good idea or not is another question.

People usually go with the off-the-shelf chips with a specific map (i.e. Stage x) if they can't afford a custom-written map. The downside is you need to match the spec of the car to the map.

If you go with a custom map, you can fit what you want to your car and get a map written that matches your spec. The downside is that the map becomes useless as soon as you change the spec.

With an off-the-shelf chip, you can sell the chip on to someone else.

Thing is, tuning cars costs money...one way or the other. Either you invest in the right kit (which costs money) and you minimise the risk that its all going to go bang or you go tuning on the cheap (crank up the boost) and accept the very much increased risk that is is going to go bang and cost you money in terms of a car you can't sell or the cost of a rebuild.

You pays your money and takes your choice but either way you pays your money.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    I'm sure he could map it but I bet the cost of mapping would be more than you would save on injectors
    Ahh I see. Hmm, back to the drawing board then :/ cheers

Rides
    He could map it but it wouldnt be worth it imho, basically another 10-15hp as your limited to the afm and turbo.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    The simple answer is yes.

Whether it is a good idea or not is another question.

People usually go with the off-the-shelf chips with a specific map (i.e. Stage x) if they can't afford a custom-written map. The downside is you need to match the spec of the car to the map.

If you go with a custom map, you can fit what you want to your car and get a map written that matches your spec. The downside is that the map becomes useless as soon as you change the spec.

With an off-the-shelf chip, you can sell the chip on to someone else.

Thing is, tuning cars costs money...one way or the other. Either you invest in the right kit (which costs money) and you minimise the risk that its all going to go bang or you go tuning on the cheap (crank up the boost) and accept the very much increased risk that is is going to go bang and cost you money in terms of a car you can't sell or the cost of a rebuild.

You pays your money and takes your choice but either way you pays your money.
    Thanks man. All 'good under the hood' again, back to 17psi now. Treated it to some shell nitro fuel as its dirt cheap at the mo and despite turning down boost, car still feels naughty enough.
    I'll stick to 1a for now then as cash is defo short, was just an idea about injectors as had been looking back at past threads & they seem to go for pretty cheap. I'll prob end up leaving it as it is for a good while as chip, tubby, 555s and maf are unachievable for a while

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    He could map it but it wouldnt be worth it imho, basically another 10-15hp as your limited to the afm and turbo.
    Gotcha, ta. That's a lot of dosh for a relatively small hike in power

Rides
    This is what happens when you run too much boost

Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus74 View Post
    Gotcha, ta. That's a lot of dosh for a relatively small hike in power
    Things get pretty expensive from here on in, so be warned

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Waaaaaahh. I've actually been back out and further knocked it down a tad more as it was spiking a bit. Its a job to accurately watch what boost its hitting while keeping an eye on the damp road at the same time. Think its 17psi now

Rides
    Luckily, I have fook all dosh left now after welding and getting some other stuff done lol
    Last edited by Markus74; 15-12-2014 at 15:15.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

lol. I bet that wasn't just occasionally hitting an extra 2 psi though. That's a serious meltdown

Still, I suppose it doesn't much matter how scrap your engine is if its scrap