Thread: insuring a previously cat C write off

Rides

insuring a previously cat C write off

hi there, i am buying an r33 skyline off a friend that was previously a cat c write off.
    i can insure it thats not an issue, the problem is they said they need a valid copy of the mot results and the vic check paperwork.

the issue is that the vic paperwork has been lost, and i just called the dvsa and they told me you are unable to get replacements.

the car would flag up on the system if it needed a vic check anyway, so what actually is the point in sending proof of it?

it doesnt need a check, so they arent going to accept it going for another one for no reason other than im missing a piece of paper also id guess.

im just wondering what i can do! as if not, i will be forced to look elsewhere for something which seems a tad pointless lol

East Anglia Area Rep Slip_n_slide's Avatar
    Rides
    I thought you could get a replacement from any MOT testing station - I've actually done this before although it was a while ago...

The insurer wants to make sure the vehicle is road worthy and repaired to a satisfactory condition, not cut and shut. Usually they would want EITHER a VIC or MOT certificate, but these would need to be dated after the vehicle has been written off.

Also, in the event of the vehicle being written off again, you would only get about 75% of the market value.

It's commonplace for an insurance company to do this, I don't think you'll find an insurer that will offer you cover on a write off without those bits of info.

Rides
    The insurer may be happy with an MoT, but the DVLA will want the VIC check
    (Thia guards against stolen cars being re registered. Nothing to do with roadworthiness)

Rides
    the vic check has been done dude. just dont have a copy of the certificate lol

Rides
    could give this a try and get a replacement mot form

http://www.copymot.co.uk/MOTprint.php

East Anglia Area Rep Slip_n_slide's Avatar
    Rides
    Just ask for a replacement from an MOT testing station

I'm sure its only £10
    Last edited by Slip_n_slide; 17-12-2014 at 17:51.

Rides
    its the vic results i need not the mot! lol

Rides
    I'm not allowed to put time travel sound effects into the thread, but
    It is now 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by erixtar1992
    but officer, on my favourite Granny's life, my car has an MoT !! But I don't have the certificate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Police Officer
    Pull the other one, sunshine
    Now forwards to 2014. Whoosh !

We are all busy poking holes in and criticising the computerised MoT and Excise Duty systems.
    My guess is that there hasn't been enough demand to justify computerising the VIC system yet.
    Without that piece of paper, the DVLA won't allocate the car to a new keeper.

I may well be wrong, and there is some means by which the VIC testing station can inform the DVLA directly, or issue a duplicate piece of paper, but it will be important for you to obtain that piece of paper somehow.

Do you know which VIC location verified the car's ID ? There aren't many. That would be the starting point now methinks.

Rides
    I am now standing correctly.

The important sentence is here:
    Quote Originally Posted by gov.uk website
    You’ll get a VIC20 pass certificate and DVLA will be told within 3 days.
    Webpage is here:
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-...for-a-vic-test

The DVLA should already know

You can check this yourself here: If there is no mention of a VIC marker, the car is clear.
    https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Rides
    if you have the log book in your name then that should be proof that it has had a VIC check, as it will have something along the lines of 'vehicle has been subject to accident damage / major structural repairs and a identity check carried out (and when)' written on the bottom of the front page.
    the dvla will not issue a new log book on a category C car until a VIC check has been carried out.if you apply for one when it has the marker against it then they send you a letter telling you to book a test.

so if you have the log book with the information at the bottom send them a photo.

if it was a cat D then it would not show up on the log book.

type these details into the DVLA link posted by jon and scroll to the bottom of the results page.
    du51kyg Volkswagen

it shows the car has an outstanding VIC requirement.
    then go back and stick your details in.
    Last edited by green_rs13; 18-12-2014 at 20:59.