Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine gone SR or RB

Rides

Engine gone SR or RB

Hi guys, been having a few misfire issues lately got the car compression tested today and it's showing 100,95,100,115 so it's time for a replacement engine.

Car is an S15 with s14 engine and loom running below mods, chassis is spotless so good basis to build on.

Fc commander
    Mazworx top mount
    Mazworx downpipe
    Gt3076R
    44mm tial and screamer
    Greddy plenum
    740cc injectors
    Hard wired walbro pump
    Greddy intercooler

Now my choice is drop in another SR engine or RB25?

If I was to go RB25 would source a gtst and do a swap over and sell my spec off plus strip the gtst down which should pretty much break even with the cost of fitting RB doing it myself.

What's better choice that people would recommend? It's a weekend car so no rush on time limit just like to do it properly if I'm going to be spend 2kish any fabrication work is fine work along side a welding/fabricating company as well.

Thanks

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    With that turbo setup you'd want a built sr ideally as a standard one won't last long.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    What's the going rate for a built one?

Rides
    Stick with Sr20 tho i would have a good look at your current engine and forge it that way you know it's all been done correctly

If you do convert it v8 everytime .

Rides
    I would love a V8 one miss my old RS4 V8 but bet it's not cheap! Will be checking mine but would rather a ready built bolt in one
    Last edited by pro_wrap; 06-01-2015 at 22:00.

Rides
    I'm not keen on buying a rebuilt one it's going to be 2000+ these days and you have to take someone's word on the spec and who built it. Too many bad stories on forums about bad forged engines.

Depends on what v8 you use but can be very expensive.

Rides
    Well I'm not confident enough to build my own engine/tools/space and been quoted 4k for a basic forge build! That's why I looked at RB25 cause can sell my set up to cover costs. Would love a forged engine cause with the set up I got

Rides
    i went with a rb and found out that the price of the conversion, even doing it yourself like i did, you dont get any more power, actually i lost power lol, until you chuck money in to that engine, which with a rb is more expensive than a sr

Rides
    Guessing then with having a perfect 450-550 setup (minus gearbox) worth getting a forged unit? Just love the RB sound!

Rides
    Yeah if you can't do the work it makes it very expensive. With that in mind i doubt you would get a decent spec rb25 for 4k running.

There is loads of engine builders but to cut your costs get your own parts from places like limit less imports and the states. Then you just need to find someone to build it . So your looking at £500 to 1500 in labour

Not sure if apex still have them but they had stroker kits for 1200 quid i reckon it could be done for under 3 grand using decent parts then you know you have a freshly built motor.

My v8 will do 500hp stock but all the fabrication would cost 1000s. The engine and gearbox was cheap enough just over a grand
    Last edited by -ghost-; 06-01-2015 at 23:17.

Rides
    Well got a few options only found out tonight the engine is on its way out so going to start this weekend removing the old one and see how bad of a state it's in.

Oh my 500hp V8 would be in love but can see it's not cheap! What engine is it?

Rides
    Buy my R33 spec2 gtst engine loom and ecu!! Low miles (40000km's) throw a steel headgasket on and itll run 450 all day long 😀

Rides
    Your turbo would suit an RB nicely. But you'd need another manifold.

I'd stick with a built SR if it was me.

Rides
    thanks for the input put it up for sale atm just see if i get any interest been fully honest about it. If no luck will be looking at the built route i got everything else except engine to get a good set up.

Rides
    who rebuilt the motor 1000 miles ago?

Rides
    its had a head rebuilt put on a 1000miles ago, not sure Greg said the last head on it was ruined and this one is pretty much new and so does the metal head gasket. As for the bottom block would say thats not been touched.

Rides
    unless your going to brake it I doubt your going to get your 9k bud

Rides
    what would you say is a good price? so gutted!

Rides
    Did you do the compression test properly as the vid u posted on the other thread the car sounded fine apart from fuel cut.

Rides
    think so, was warm engine and disconnected injector/fuel input. I am honestly surprised it drives fine just not on boost would expect the whole car to run shit :/