Thread: Help with correct ratio diff

Rides

Help with correct ratio diff

Hi lads,
    I was hoping some of you may be able to help me.
    I was looking for a shorter ratio diff as my car has just been remapped and now pushing 414hp (Hy35) but it's quite laggy compared to my old setup (300hp t28). The trouble comes when drifting, you either have to abuse the clutch alot or enter at serious speed. Its got a 3.7 s14 welded diff at the moment but it's making smaller corners hard work.
    Would a 4.3 ratio diff make it more manageable on tighter tracks
    cheers kev
    Last edited by S body 14a; 19-03-2015 at 20:46.

Rides
    4.3 would get you around 18% more revs at the same speeds and gears you have now.

Rides
    Yes. Sort of.

It does nothing for when you the engine achieves full boost (probably makes it worse, actually) but you'll be at higher RPM at any given speed for the same gear so it improves pickup in that respect.

Rides
    Cheers lads,
    I'll be doing Lydden next month if I can sort out a couple of bits on the car so might be okay as it is. But on the road it's hard work unless it's a big corner. I'll definitely look into the 4.3 diff though as it's a quick fix.

One quick question though, will my speedo still work if I get a abs diff casing 4.3 diff? Cheers again

Rides
    It will work but will over-read by the diff ratio percentage difference so around 18%.

Rides
    Isn't the S15 speedo reading in the diff casing? You may need to look into getting the internals swapped over. Although honestly I don't know enough about it to know for certain.

Rides
    The s15 takes it's speedo reading from the abs sensor in the rear diff so I was hoping as long as I rebuilt the 4.3 into my casing it should be good.
    The problem is now, I have to try find a 4.3 diff
    . I'm pretty sure they come in a r32 auto maybe manual? If anyone has one for sale with drive shafts, I would be very interested

Rides
    yes you can rebuild the diff with a different ratio. Japandyno was selling the crown and pinion separately so would be a good option for you. I went from 3.7 (the worst ratio of all the ratios) to a 4.1 and the car was transformed. You will never go back. A 4.1 is the best compromise, the 4.3 is full retard rpms tho so sits at about 4k doing 70, 4.1 was about 3.6k-ish at 70

Rides
    Cheers jites I'm in two minds about getting the 4.1 as they are a lot easier to find. Just not sure as as I've only really got a 4k powerband I need to keep the revs up and the 4.3 will make it a shit load easier. If you see any setups going for a reasonable price, give me a shout cheers again dude

Rides
    I'd go with a 4.1 Man, I really miss mine after I swapped out for an S15 3.7 diff.

As said before though, it won't lower your boost threshold, it'll just change it so you can reach boost at lower speeds, however, if you're planning on drifting more and you don't already have one, get a decent 2-way that's shimmed nicely. You won't have to enter corners at warp speeds and it'll be easier to initiate with a weight transition to unsettle the rear end rather than using loads of power mid-corner. (Although personal preference and all tat jazz).

Rides
    I want a nice 2-way but having trouble finding one at a reasonable price! I know it won't help with the lag. But I just won't have to absolutely tank it into a corner to get it in the power with the 4.3 lol.. it's no longer my daily anymore so just a weekend toy for a bit of fun on the road and drifting on track I'll look into either a 4.1 or 4.3 2way as a welder is great but I get some seriously dodgy looks when parking in tesco's haha

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by S body 14a View Post
    I want a nice 2-way but having trouble finding one at a reasonable price! I know it won't help with the lag. But I just won't have to absolutely tank it into a corner to get it in the power with the 4.3 lol.. it's no longer my daily anymore so just a weekend toy for a bit of fun on the road and drifting on track I'll look into either a 4.1 or 4.3 2way as a welder is great but I get some seriously dodgy looks when parking in tesco's haha
    Yeah, finding 2-Ways can be hard, I got really lucky with mine, I originally intended on getting a HLSD from an imported Spec R S15... Turned out that the S15 it came from had swapped it out for a 2-Way and the breakers didn't check it prior to me buying it. So I ended up with a 2 way in casing for £250 smackers... Was rather chuffed.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by beefy View Post
    Yeah, finding 2-Ways can be hard, I got really lucky with mine, I originally intended on getting a HLSD from an imported Spec R S15... Turned out that the S15 it came from had swapped it out for a 2-Way and the breakers didn't check it prior to me buying it. So I ended up with a 2 way in casing for £250 smackers... Was rather chuffed.
    Haha do you wanna sell it lol..
    At the moment it's a pain in the ass trying to find a decent priced r33 diff. £250 at the moment may get you a r33 welder

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by igralec View Post
    4.3 would get you around 18% more revs at the same speeds and gears you have now.
    4.3/3.7 = 116%. Which for 4th/5th gears is like saying "Put it in a lower gear".
    1st 3.626
    2nd 2.2
    3rd 1.541
    4th 1.213
    5th 1
    6th .767

2nd instead of 3rd is 145% of 3rd gear rpm.
    3rd instead of 4th is 124.8% of 4th gear rpm - a comparable drop to the diff swap.
    4th instead of 5th is 121% of 5th gear rpm - again a comparable drop to the diff swap.
    5th instead of 6th is 130% of 5th gear rpm.

With a lower ratio diff you will find you are using 4th just as brutally as 3rd and 4th in place of 5th.

If you are between 2nd and 3rd a 16% lower diff will pull 3rd down to about 1/2 way between where 2nd/3rd are now.

Rides
    Has anyone tried a n serena r 200 diff yet?

Rides
    4.1 for all round.

4.36 for tight small tracks like driftland

Rides
    Just picked up a 4.1 ratio gtst diff cheers for the help lads