Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rb25 swap

Rides

Rb25 swap

So I'm looking at doing an rb25 swap on my s15
    Just wondering on the best way to go about it like how to get all the bits how much I should be looking to spend and how much Time I should be look to spend doing it

I was thinking the best way to go about it would be to go and get a r33 that had damage or anything like that

When I do it I want it to run a bigger turbo and clutch maybe more in time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Probably around £2k in parts.

A crashed car would be handy. But, when i do it this winter im just buying the pieces to make my jigsaw.

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    2k lol try doubling that... You'll be easy 3k buying all 2nd hand and cutting corners...

Always been told by people who have done it that its more hassle than its worth.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    2k lol try doubling that... You'll be easy 3k buying all 2nd hand and cutting corners...

Always been told by people who have done it that its more hassle than its worth.
    I'll make it my mission to prove you wrong this winter! In all seriousness, this is dooable under 2k. Geniunely. Try reading some RB swaps on DW. Lots come in under £1800. The main money pit is the engine. Dont pay breakers 1000+ prices.

Rides
    Think all this for under 2k would be good

Rb25 engine
    Rb25 gear box
    R33 ecu
    r33 wiring loom
    R33 subframe
    rb25engine and gearbox mounts
    Prop
    rb front prop
    front facing inlet manifold

Also a big turbo and an s13 rad with fan kit and big power clutch

Was told by a guy that he has done them be for and all fitted for £3200

Rides
    take it from me, IVE DONE THIS, its more than 2k, and that money to get the same ammount of power you would get from a stage 2 CA, unless you are going big with the rb ie big turbo etc which is even more money, it is a pointless swap

Jake you say big turbo for 3200? in your list of items i dont see any stand alone management, you will not run a big turbo on a rb with standard ecu, i dont see bigger injectors on the list, i dont see uprated maf, im not trying to poo poo, just pointing out there are so many things people forget. dont take in to consideration etc etc
    Last edited by fikemoo; 16-04-2015 at 06:48.

Rides
    I had mine done for 1900 all in

Rides
    I'm talking a STANDARD swap out cost.

NOTHING upgraded engine wise, just getting it in, and running safely.

It's do-able. As Danny just pointed out above..
    Theres no need for such a long list of needed items. For example, if you got a good SR box. Use that. i certainly will just to get it running. Im fully aware it wont last, but as a get up and go solution its there.

Rides
    So have you got a spare rb20 bell housing lying around? A sr20 box won't just slap on

Rides
    Just so you all know my conversion was; rb engine, rb box, turbo, manifold, I let manifold, ecu, wiring loom, front subframe, gearbox mount, front prop, custom rear prop, and all labour, I had to pay slightly extra for the radiator but you could use the sr one I you have to.... Oh and yea it included maf as well and down pipe

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fikemoo View Post
    So have you got a spare rb20 bell housing lying around? A sr20 box won't just slap on
    No, but considering it doesn't cost alot. Im not sweating.

Rides
    And you do realise you would make a custom prop for the Sr box then once that goes bang which it will you would then need another custom prop for the rb box. Backwards engineering to me. And yes you can stick any engine in any car for however much money with reason. Cutting corners. Buying rubbish parts. The point I think me and rubBix are making is. To actually put a rb25 properly in a car it costs a lot more than what you think

Rides
    Plus spending 2 3 thousand whatever you want to call it to get a heavier sub 250bhp engine in to your car. Is that worth it?

Rides
    to be fair I have spent like another 5-6k on rebuilding, mapping, exhausts and so on

Rides
    And you do realise you would make a custom prop for the Sr box then once that goes bang which it will you would then need another custom prop for the rb box. Backwards engineering to me. And yes you can stick any engine in any car for however much money with reason. Cutting corners. Buying rubbish parts. The point I think me and rubBix are making is. To actually put a rb25 properly in a car it costs a lot more than what you think
    Can i just ask why your so argumentitive?

Yes your absolutely right in the SR box, then going backwards. - I agree, but cost depending at the time its 50/50 which way ME personally i'll go.

A prop will cost £70 to manufacturer. - Peanuts. Plus, a RB prop used is areound £40, and i have my SR prop. So that is literally NO problem at all.

I don't see doing it for less than you estimate to be cutting corners? If you take your time, wait for the right bargains and piece the jigsaw together your do it for far less than commonly thought.

If you want to go in balls deep and buy everything in one go you will end up paying more, if from the same company/person.

The list of parts needed is not expensive. The two major things of cost are the engine and brand new loom (£250 from the US)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboi200sx View Post
    to be fair I have spent like another 5-6k on rebuilding, mapping, exhausts and so on
    Im into mine 7k and iv driven it on the for less than 1000 miles... Its depressing bud!

Your is lovely, was noseing at your build thread awhile back. Mine was originally matte black. but decided on the spray!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboi200sx View Post
    Im exactly the same easily, and thats kool if you are going to go big with the rb25 then my original point, then hell yes it is worth it but then that budget has sky rocketed

And sorry i dont mean to be argumentative maybe its just the way i come across in typing, as i previously said i dont mean to poo poo or upset anyone because there is no point in doing that, we are all here for one common interest and that is the sx weather it be a s13 s14 s15 im just passing on my thoughts as im fortunate to do this swap in to my 13
    Last edited by fikemoo; 16-04-2015 at 18:38.

Rides
    Yea mines forged but running low power

Rides
    im running 1 bar on a gt3076r which is the max i was comfortable running on stock internals,
    i have seen alot of people say 1.2 bar is ok but the limits of the head gaskets and pistons
    so i played it safe lol, once the time comes or it goes bang, i have all the rb26 internals (crank, forged pistons, rods)
    sitting upstairs waiting to go in

Rides
    im running 1 bar on a gt3076r which is the max i was comfortable running on stock internals,
    i have seen alot of people say 1.2 bar is ok but the limits of the head gaskets and pistons
    so i played it safe lol, once the time comes or it goes bang, i have all the rb26 internals (crank, forged pistons, rods)
    sitting upstairs waiting to go in
    Put them in and go mad power! Please...! There's an S14a RB26 local to me, he bought my old wheels off me last night. All i can say is WOW. The noise it makes on full boost is ridiculous.