Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The track car is dead! Long live the track car!

Rides

The track car is dead! Long live the track car!

Hey all, Figured Id start a project thread on here after a bit of badgering from Ste

So in the 18 months leading up to last september I had an amazing time in my Renaultsport Clio 172 which ended being throttle bodied and a bit of a surprise to many an expensive car on track.

Sadly a cracked sump pan at last years weekender after an 'off' did some damage to a big end and at the ring in september she finally gave up this is the last picture I have of the mighty clio on track

IMG-20140911-WA0006 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

Thankfully, a few months previous to this I had bought a cheap 350z with some tasty parts fitted but needed a fair amount of tidying up body wise, so when the Clio died the Z was promoted to track car.

The Z was a UK GT model so came with the LSD and Brembo brakes, but it also had a greddy sump pan fitted (extra capacity and baffled), a lightweight Flywheel and paddle clutch, an aftermarket piggy back ECU as well as facelift (06 on) centre console and headlights, nismo spoiler and LED rear lights.
    After spending most of my trackdays in the Clio chasing Docwra in his Z I already knew they were capable on track with very few Mods so I booked Oulton Park to have a play.

IMG_20141104_104741 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

The day at Oulton revealed a problem with the brakes however in that when warm/hot the vibrated REALLY badly, but the problem went away again when cold. I had already had new pads and discs fitted all round but using an Ebay kit so I suspected this was the problem. Upon Inspection one of the calipers was sticky so I had that rebuilt and also fitted PF01 pads, stoptech discs, HEL lines and super blue fluid.
    IMG_20150215_160452 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

the 10month old discs that came off looked like they had been at the bottom of the ocean. buy cheap, buy twice!
    IMG_20150215_160703 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

This meant it was time to test it so Cadwell was booked. Before cadwell I also fitted an oil cooler and a Z Speed alluminium undertray, the stock item was missing and this can create lift at the front end, the tray also nicely shielded my sump and cooler lines to avoid a repeat of the clio.
    The oil cooler install is a bit heath robinson as I had wanted to mount it to the front crash bar which it turns out is missing. Once Ive got enough little jobs its going to somewhere like HDev to get these sort of things done properly.

received_10204264074698377 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr
    IMG-20150305-WA0004 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr
    IMG-20150302-WA0006 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Cadwell was amazing to drive and the Z didnt miss a beat all day, the new brakes worked really well with no signs of fade even after 20+min sessions.
    The only thing lacking was grip on the road tyres, luckily someone had brough me some 255 RSR's so I fitted these to my Desmond Regamasters (really really light and suit the z well imo). going 255 all round also helped alleviate the natural understeer the z has and made the back end a lot more playful.

IMG-20150318-WA0009 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr
    IMG-20150318-WA0005 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr
    IMG-20150318-WA0000 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

And the regas on the Z

IMG-20150313-WA0011 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

Since then Ive been on a quest to make the car a little more lively power wise, the stock setup feels very lazy and held back.
    The car already had an exhaust and decats so I added to this a plenum spacer and modified the inlet manifold.
    IMG-20150327-WA0009 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

The bottom half of the inlet had the large casting marks ground off and the height of two of the ports reduced (two are about 5mm higher than the others) and the top half of the plenum had the mounting posts cut off welded up to seal them

IMG-20150325-WA0012 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr
    IMG-20150325-WA0033 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

modified bottom half installed
    IMG-20150326-WA0011 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

and with the spacer and top half it looks like stock again
    IMG-20150328-WA0003 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

Once these were done I flashed a base map for the mods to the UTEC piggback ECU and the car is totally transformed. Really feels like its had a massive kick up the arse and is so much quicker! Next will probably need a RR run to get the AFR's checked out and the map tweaked to be perfect.
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Nice one, they are massively underrated as track cars, a well driven Zed can claim some major scalps
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Good effort.

I've just got a little Clio to rape round a few trackdays, for the money they're really good.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Nice one, they are massively underrated as track cars, a well driven Zed can claim some major scalps
    Cheers dude! And that ks for the kick up the arse to get back to Rwd
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Good effort.

I've just got a little Clio to rape round a few trackdays, for the money they're really good.
    They're properly amazing! With sticky tyres, cup shocks and lowering spring s and eibavh camber bolts there isn't much they won't keep up with on track.

Rides
    Lightweight wheels are a good call, was shocked what difference they make. RSR's as well as good value for money.

Nice to see project threads up and what people are up to
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Lightweight wheels are a good call, was shocked what difference they make. RSR's as well as good value for money.

Nice to see project threads up and what people are up to

Lightweight wheels are a very underated modification IMO

Now I need to remember to update it, where's yours?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    Now I need to remember to update it, where's yours?
    As soon as I get a project car to put all my bits onto it will appear
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Nice work!

Did you have any fitment issues with the undertray? I'm thinking of adding one to the parts list.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fridx View Post
    Nice work!

Did you have any fitment issues with the undertray? I'm thinking of adding one to the parts list.
    The only issue I had was rusty threads on the car, a tap of the right size would have made life easier. Other than that it went straight on

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    going 255 all round also helped alleviate the natural understeer the z has and made the back end a lot more playful.
    Interesting. I never heard this before. Mine felt fine as standard round Snetterton but I got a lot of understeer at Blyton a few weeks back. Bigger fronts is the answer you reckon?

Rides
    Not the complete answer but it helps a lot

Unfortunately the z just does umdersteer partly as they're nose heavy, I follow a couple of time attack z's in Canada and they're still trying to get it all dialled out

Rides
    Surprisingly quick little job on the car today. The biggest bodywork issue with the car was the laquer peel on the A pillars due to a dodgy respray.

Thankfully these are plastic panels that screw on so as soon as some appeared on Ebay I snapped them up (been looking for over a year now)

before and afters:
    IMG_20150422_130509 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

IMG_20150422_133505 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

IMG_20150422_133445 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

IMG_20150422_135017 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

Also slowly gave the wheels a lick of paint over the last few days as they paint on them was peeling off, satin black is the colour they should have been originally

IMG-20150419-WA0002 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

IMG-20150419-WA0004 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

IMG_20150422_143304 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Understeer? Just drive faster
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    The forum needs a 'like' button lol

Rides
    The other day I g3'd the headlights and gave the whole car a good wash and wax. came up all right.

IMG_20150423_171158 by bungle.taylor, on Flickr

Currently waiting on the ebay shop getting some stock of drivers side buddy club subframes in stock (unless someone knows where there are any?) so that I can get my new FIA bimarco futura seats fitted. Also waiting on black alcantara gear and handbrake gaiters and a nismo gearknob.

The car had the mesh back roadster seats but I found these a bit useless on track so have sold them on along with the matching interior items.

Rides
    So the new interior bits arrived!

Car now has Nismo gearknob, black gaiters and Bimarco Futura seats on buddyclub frames - all with added dog hair thanks to my Akita thinking we were going out in the car

IMG_20150513_170450 by ben taylor, on Flickr

IMG_20150513_170532 by ben taylor, on Flickr

IMG_20150513_170520 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Car is going into the garage tomorrow for a couple of weeks as Im on holiday in Tokyo, theyre going to lower the drivers seat for me, mount the oil cooler properly and fit my gauges into the centre console.

Rides
    Been a while since my last update and things have been progressing nicely with the car (below copied from 350z-uk as im lazy)

bought a few bits from Bennet (a pleasure to deal with and really helpful) in preperation for the SXO weekender at rockingham.

Most importantly was some Tein Monosports, and Bennet had also upgraded the front springs to some stiffer swift ones. Also included was the EDFC for dampening adjustments whilst out on track!

2015-07-09_01-55-21 by ben taylor, on Flickr

The set up works amazingly! transformed the car on track, and helped Bennet to an 8:02 I think it was at the ring with an n/a Z!

Next was an uprated gearbox mount as my gearchange was very sloppy. Once removed it was clear why as the stock one had torn.

old:
    20150818_145549 by ben taylor, on Flickr

New:
    IMG-20150821-WA0005 by ben taylor, on Flickr

I also got some 1 step colder plugs which were promptly fitted and an oil temp gauge which is still in the 'to do pile'

The SXOC weekender was amazing! Rockingham is such a fast flowing track that it really suits the Z. I did have some issues through the day though, The drivers front tyre got STUPIDLY hot as the day went on and just gave up towards the end. Already on 255 595 RS-R's i figure the next step is some pretty serious weight reduction?
    The clutch fluid kept boiling and the pedal would fall to the floor and not return until it had cooled down. I have already bought a new slave from Torqen (no 'U' ) and got some high temp Dot 4 fluid. Also as the inside of the cabin was getting really hot due to the engine bay temps being so high Ive also got a Nismo/Z-tune bonnet vent to go on to try and cool all that down.

some pics from Rockingham (you guys should seriously consider the weekender next year, a really good and cheap track weekend with some really polite track goers and not one incident all day)

FB_IMG_1441886329693 by ben taylor, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1441886315018 by ben taylor, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1441886311434 by ben taylor, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1441886306991 by ben taylor, on Flickr

received_10205454849987015 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Rides
    Are you running different specs on the rear wheels? Looks odd lol. Are these handy out on track then once you've changed a couple of bits?

Rides
    Ah yeah. The 25mm spacers i had on the back are now on the front as i had some wheel nust sheer their threads and cpme off the day before the trackday. Think it was xue to 5mm spacers not leaving enough thread. The car was actually really well balanced with the wider front track though so havent been in a rush to get some new ones for the rear.

Really really handy on track even as stock imo but coilovers, proepr brake pads and sticky tyres will see you keeping up with almost everything else out there