Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The track car is dead! Long live the track car!

Rides
    Well, definitely turning more and more into a track car.....

Ztune/Nismo bonnet vent fitted. Hopefully cool the engine bay temps down and also means I can now look at proper flat floor/splitter type setups and increase the downforce at the front.

IMG-20150911-WA0008 by ben taylor, on Flickr

IMG-20150911-WA0010 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Next job is to get some paint on it.....
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Not much has happened with the car lately, lots of planning as im saving for a house deposit and 'should' be putting all my money into that.

I did however buy these beauties from Ian on 350ZUK, Cusco ARB's

Cusco arb's by ben taylor, on Flickr

Had a nightmare fitting them though. Seems the bolts/nuts/droplinks havent been touched since it left the factory and they were all siezed. Had to cut a nut off on one of the front arb brackets (not too much damage to the stud and got a new nut on it) and also had to cut off a rear droplink

Take that! by ben taylor, on Flickr

Despite the setbacks I managed to get both bars on, front on stock droplinks though theyre knackered and rear bar on the car with no droplinks.
    Sadly I didnt think ahead to buy the SPL droplinks off Ian and so have had to order a full set from circuit sports. Once they arrive I will be able to replace the front droplinks and actually connect up the rear bar.

What did shock me was just how light the stock bar is! must be hollow. Which is a little annoying as the Cusco rear bar is quite a bit heavier

Also on the way I have a Nismo V1 front lip. Once thats fitted I intend to build a proper front splitter and try to further reduce the z's chronic understeer when pushing on.
    The only other thing ongoing is that I am in the middle of building a kit to fit a larger throttle body to the stock plenum and wiring, to further help the engine breathe.
    Oh and Ive also aquired som 17" Regamasters for wet tyres as wide 595rsr's are not fun on a wet track as I found out at Cadwell.....
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Fantastic service from TarmacSportz on the Nismo lip! Arrived quickly and well packaged!

New Nismo lip by ben taylor, on Flickr

Now i Can start making a front splitter, taking inspiration from a Canadian Time Attack 'Michael Gardner'.

2015-11-26_11-50-55 by ben taylor, on Flickr

My Circuit Sports droplinks are also in the country already and Ive paid the customs charges so should have them fitted soon.

Rides
    Happy Xmas and New Year everyone!!!

A few updates have been happening over the Xmas period which I like to call 'Operation Grip'

Firstly the adjustable drop links arrived

Adjustable drop links by ben taylor, on Flickr

Droplinks by ben taylor, on Flickr

Only thing Im not too happy about is the angle of the front droplink, Im hoping this improves when the car is back on the floor.....
    I am on with designing a new bottom arm, so I can rectify that when I do those mods.

Droplinks by ben taylor, on Flickr

And the biggest part of operation grip is this

Splitter by ben taylor, on Flickr

Still not finished as I need the front adjuster to arrive in the post, and Ive left it big to allow from damage to the edges whilst its on and off so much.

No pics yet but Im also on with building a rear GT wing. Off the shelf ones are ridiculously expensive so again Im designing/building my own using a proper aerospace aerofoil. It will be a 2D wing, but as this is what a LOT of professional race teams use I dont think it will be an issue that it isnt 3D. The people making the core have the aerofoil I want and the dimensions, Im just waiting on the holiday season ending so they get on with it lol

Whilst making the splitter I also noticed my oil cooler core was not fully in front of the bumper opening. half of it was higher reducing its effectiveness, So i made a few spacers for the bracket and dropped the core down.

Oil cooler by ben taylor, on Flickr

Oil cooler by ben taylor, on Flickr

hopefully some more updates soon

Rides
    Making steady progress with the splitter!

Just the air dam and side fences to sort now and its done! Whilst in behind the bumper Ive also removed the headlight washer bottle and lines, just have to work out how they come out the bumper and can blank those off.

Hopefully soon some wing updates with pics but the core is currently being cut. Gone with the same aerofoil as the 997 GT Cup racers, Its going to be BIG though, 70inches with a 12inch chord

Rides
    Few more updates

Got some little tabs welded to the back of the z speed undertray to support the back and keep it all at the same level, this way the undertray actually serves as a functional part of the splitter

20160118_173250 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Also work has started on my rear wing, I decided that most wing companies are charging a fortune for a relatively simple item, APR are £1400......
    I selected the same aerofoil as used on the 997 GT Cup racers and rang a guy I know of who cuts wing cores for race teams. Told him my dimensions, paid a measly £40 and this appeared in the post.

20160119_150125 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Its pretty big....

20160119_150521 by ben taylor, on Flickr

20160119_150541 by ben taylor, on Flickr

Just waiting on a quote to have it wrapped in carbon/kevlar, if thats too much I will get a local fibreglass guy to do it. Theres no 'need' for it to be carbon/kevlar but it looks cooler Working on a design for the feet/legs at the minute but found a company that sell the feet for $60......
    You can see how, bearing in mind the costs so far, the APR wing is actual rape money. And the aerofoil is straight from the porsche racing teams so its not like it wont work

Also Ive started work on some custom lower arms. The Z lower arm's a bit shit to be honest. Rubber bushes everywhere and an offset ARB mount means that when the arm tries to move against the ARB it will actually twist round it first, thus reducing the effectiveness of the ARB, this problem gets worse with uprated ARB's and causes the inner bush to fail quicker. Ive read of race teams that have had the ARB mount snap off as well!!
    So we are welding on an extra support for the ARB droplink, putting it in 'double shear' and also moving the droplink to a more central location on the arm, this will stop the twisting effect, to further help this we are changing the shock mount for a solid bush, not a spherical bearing as this still allows the twisting action of the arm in the same way as the rubber bush. All this will force the arm to move up and down a single plane and greatly improve the effectiveness of it all.

As an add on to this we have also chopped off the rubber inner bush and are welding on a thread block to have a screw in rose joint. This removes another sloppy rubber bush and allows me to alter the camber from the bottom, saving the cost of upper camber arms. In the future we plan to re-drill the inner bush mount higher to correct some roll centre.

IMG_20160120_122923 by ben taylor, on Flickr

IMG_20160122_140934 by ben taylor, on Flickr

edit: excuse the mess outside the house, we are in the middle of moving and renovating this one for sale lol

Rides
    That aerofoil stuff looks cool, i'm guessing its pretty strong? I still want to make a wing for mine, like you said the prices are crazy.

Rides
    The foam by itself isnt that strong, as yoyd expect, but with a support bar through the middle and wrapped in somethjng it should be strong enough

Rides
    Always wanted to make my own wing.

Looks very cool