Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Thunderbastard

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Top work. Love the subframe colour combo, tempted by something similar
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Interesting idea welding in the hard pipes - clever.

Rides
    Looking buff Dez, like the welded hardpipes as well, eliminates movement rubbing, good thinking.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Looking buff Dez, like the welded hardpipes as well, eliminates movement rubbing, good thinking.
    That was actually Simon's idea, makes sense to do it now so they can't budge. Now to build it all up and try to get it running in a few weeks hopefully I dropped off the Freddy inlet manifold at a machine shop today to get the mating faces skimmed, then will either paint it or get it powder coated. All brackets and mounts and stuff will be going to get powdercoated this week too.

ARP flywheel bolts just arrived so can get the flywheel bolted on, clutch on, gearbox painted and bolted on.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Top work. Love the subframe colour combo, tempted by something similar
    Thanks man, I was gonna get the subframes done black but the whole underside of the car is black so it's a nice contrast. Still got braided fuel hoses to fit and orange braided brake lines to fit front to back so it'll be quite colourful under there!

Rides
    Bit more work done this week.

Gearbox painted

Z32 servo and Freddy inlet manifold painted

Alex came over today and we fitted the flywheel, spigot bush, clutch and gearbox. He fitted the new Walbro 400 LPH pump in the tank too. Got the Z32 BMC and servo bolted in, along with the brake pedal and clutch master cylinder with braided clutch hose.

Rides
    Spent pretty much the whole of last Sunday working out which hose goes where (under the inlet manifold). It was a nightmare because some of the hoses on the engine were chopped when I bought it, some got chopped when Alex rebuilt the engine and some weren't required with the new inlet manifold, so a lot of it was educated guesswork. Still need to plumb the AAC valve into a point in the intercooler pipework before the throttle body, so need to make or buy a T-piece. And still need to join up the heater hoses to the matrix, but that shouldn't be too tricky.

Fitted the Z32 BMC and servo, and clutch master cylinder with new braided hose:

New Cometic inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets:

Back to work again tomorrow, planning on doing a ton of jobs like plumbing the power steering, running the braided fuel hoses and making a start on the wiring loom.

Rides
    Well well well. Haven't updated this for a while. Firstly I spent at least 2 hours cutting and splicing the looms together, soldering all the joins, extending any necessary wires, heat shrinking and re-taping the finished loom. It's not as tidy as I would have liked but when the engine bay is finished I'll go back to it and tidy it up with the corrugated plastic protective stuff. Around the same time I fitted braided fuel hose from the tank to the fuel rail and back, along with a new fuel filter and bracket. Also made a new bracket for the fuel pressure regulator. The finish of the fuel hoses are temporary until the engine is run in, then I'll be fitting a new fuel rail for the R35 injectors so I'll get AN fittings.

With the loom all fitted the engine would turn over but wouldn't start, and it was draining the battery really quickly. Spent a few hours trying to figure out where I'd gone wrong and fitted 3 good earth straps to the engine which sorted out that earthing problem, then had to earth the ignition amplifier/coilpack loom properly and the ECU earths. Then the engine started and idled fine. Next problem was a horrendous sounding noise coming from the turbo, which sounded like it was running dry. The engine only every ran for about 10 seconds at a time like this. I had the oil feed and return to the turbo on and off a couple of times checking for blockages possibly caused by the thick assembly oil, but every time I blew it through with the air line substantial came out. For some reason I ran the engine again and pulled out the dipstick, the noise stopped! Must have been crankcase pressure causing the turbo to be starved of oil. It's running fine now and the turbo is nice and quiet so hopefully haven't done any/much damage. I'm only using that turbo to run the engine in anyway so it's not critical.

Once the engine was running I let it warm up for half an hour or so then dumped out the "old" oil and put fresh stuff in, which will stay in until it goes on the road. I made up a bracket for the power steering cooler so that's mounted, my comrade Simon made the exhaust with flexi in the downpipe, and similar in style to the HKS Silent HiPower. It sounds really nice and fairly quiet.

Rides

Spent a bit of time recently chopping chunks out of the dashboard to get it fitted around the cage.

Spent some of my pocket money on Apexi Power FC from Nengun in Japanland. Worked out about £600 all in with import tax thanks to the fabulous exchange rate.

Got the gear shifter fitted and it clears the hole in the tunnel but sits a bit too far forward so I've chopped it and extended it backwards to a better position.

Rides

Spent a bit of time recently chopping chunks out of the dashboard to get it fitted around the cage.

Spent some of my pocket money on Apexi Power FC from Nengun in Japanland. Worked out about £600 all in with import tax thanks to the fabulous exchange rate.

Got the gear shifter fitted and it clears the hole in the tunnel but sits a bit too far forward so I've chopped it and extended it backwards to a better position.

Rides
    Next up I got the rocker covers and calipers painted to match the cage

Then fitted all the brakes and started fitting the braided brake lines from the master cylinder to each corner.

Got the wheels on now too. Still to buy open-ended wheel nuts. This is with 16mm hub centric spacers on the front and 12mm spacers on the rear which will be coming off:

Now I've finally got the propshaft shortened too, just collected it from Propshaft Services in Bonnybridge (thanks to ekjim for putting me onto them, great price and 2-day turnaround. Great workmanship.)

Tomorrow I'll be fitting the propshaft, finishing off the brake hoses, and bleeding the brakes and clutch hopefully. Got 4 litres of Nissan MT-XZ gearbox oil on order so once I've filled up the box and fitted a driver's seat the car should be moving on its own steam.

Rides
    Wow what an awesome build, cant wait to see more progress! Love the colour on the cage!

Rides
    Well it's been a while since any updates, so here's the latest one. I bought a set of KSport 8 pots with DS2500 pads (they're now on the car and bled) and a full set Apex bushes alignment arms from brother Ryan (piman2k) so nearly all the mechanical stuff is now finished. Just a bit of tidying up to do in the engine bay.

Today I've commenced work on the roof to start getting it ready to paint, so that the glass can go in soon. Wasn't until I started rubbing down the roof to get it back to clean metal that I realised how bad it is. It looks very much like it's been used as a practice area for Strictly Come Dancing. Probably most of it is down to the heat generated when welding in the cage, and some from the shot-blasting. It's gonna take quite a bit of work to get it straight so here goes!

Rides
    Still loving this thread 'dream build' if only i was younger, keep it coming

Rides
    Since January I've been working on the car the odd day here and there due to work commitments and weekends away with the woman etc, so it's taken AGES to get the roof straight. Must have had about a dozen layers of filler, then when I wasn't getting close enough with that I decided to start pouring on high build primer and spreading it on with a roller so it's basically very runny filler, all the same thickness and texture. This worked and after about 6 fills with roller primer it was finally ready for a thick coat of primer through the spraygun, and eventually painted. To minimise any sinkage it was painted on the Saturday and had 2 full coats of lacquer, which was then flatted and re-lacquered on the Monday.

One of the many coats of roller primer:

Rides
    Next job is to weld on the new wheel arches which have been cut out of new E46 front wings. The front wings look like they'll be a pretty good fit but the S14 rear arch is a bit longer so we had to cut the new arch down the middle and bridge the gap. Got one side pretty much finished now and Simon has started on the other side. Got another pair of wings ordered to start doing the fronts soon too. Plan is to get the tears finished and smoothed in then paint the rear quarters and door checks so the shell is entirely painted and ready for glass, door seals etc.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Love those rear arches
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    ^^^^What he said. Good to see some new ideas instead of the usual overfenders.

Rides
    Thanks guys. Yeah the overfender look isn't really my cup of tea. It looks great on a drift car riveted on, but when you try to smooth them into metal quarter panels they just crack after a few weeks so metal arches was the only way. I'm sure I'm not the first to do it this way but it certainly makes it a one-off and hard to copy my inspiration was Hooky's yellow S14a with wide arches all round. I love that they'll look like they're meant to be so wide, but the wheels will still hang out past the back bumper.

Because of where the new arches start I'll need to modify the ends of the side skirts to suit but it won't be too much work to make them fit.

Today I'm working on the FRP bootlid which has totally distorted in storage, and the Seibon bonnet which was damaged and repaired in the wrong shape so trying to make that the right shape again.

Rides
    I'm really liking where this is going and wish I had the ability to do the same.
    I need to know though, the front splitter, custom or off the shelf?
    Cheers and good luck withbthe rest of the build.