Thread: smokey Mazda 2.0 diesel HELP

Rides

smokey Mazda 2.0 diesel HELP

Not been on here for a while but struggling with a problem with the wife's Mazda6, the Mazda forums are not the best for answers but the good old SXOC knows everything.

It’s a 2009 Mazda 6 2.0D Sport and the problem we are having is that when its warmed up (say 10 minutes) and you go into reverse or just sit at idle in traffic you activate a James Bond style smoke screen out the exhaust, its greyish blue and stinks like rancid burnt crap, otherwise the car is a dream to drive pulls like a train with no warning lights.

We replaced the DPF last year with aftermarket one (Mazda wanted £3'500 for factory one) and had to replace one of the four sensors as it was stuck in the old pipe and broke coming off.

Have cleaned the EGR as it was completely choked up with black soot, have since blocked it off at the inlet manifold so EGR gas is not going into the engine now.

I've done manual DPF regenerations (you get the same rancid smelling smoke when its doing regen) this normally stops the smoke for two weeks at a time but always comes back.

Have had it in at Mazda multiple times and the computer finds no faults.

First time it was in they did an oil change as the dip stick was almost at the X mark, was advised then that they reset the injectors but that only lasted a week before the smoke was back.

They checked it again and found no faults and advised that they wanted to book it back in to check valve clearance at a cost of £400 but did say that it was just to check and not a fix.

I'm a bit reluctant to spend £400 on a check with no guarantee of finding anything wrong.

Searching the net I have seen other people complain of similar issues of rancid smelling smoke when stuck in traffic in Mazda's but also VW's and Citroens but no one ever has a answer on what they did to fix the problem.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Rides
    Sounds like its over fuelling, My 530D did it so i flogged it as I wasnt splashing out on new injectors at £300 a pop

Have you tried some injector cleaner? Also change the fuel filter and try giving it a thrash up the road to get it really hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Yes I did think about getting the injectors done but Mazda in there special way have made it so that the injectors need to be programmed in the car , because of this no one up here will touch them as they don't have access to the software.
    We are at the point of getting rid of it but bar the stinky smell and smoke screen it’s a great car that the wife likes to drive.
    Will do another DPF reset and stick a bottle of injector cleaner in this weekend.

Rides
    You want to try living in civilisation Even back street garages down here have the software to reprogram injectors
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    You would have been better getting the DPF removed and mapped out. That could be your problem if the smoke goes away for a while after a regeneration.