Thread: Blown exhaust gasket help

Rides

Blown exhaust gasket help

Hello all,

I recently spent ages getting rid of all the rust on my car to end up with yet another problem!

A couple of days ago I went over a speed hump, not very fast but the exhaust got hit quite hard. Anyway since then ive had a noise in the engine bay area roughly around the turbos location. At idle it sort of sounds like a putt putt noise and when driving it sounds sort of tinny if that makes sense? Im just wanting to know before I look at it properly if there are any common problems with gaskets in the area failing. It has an aftermarket exhaust on it if that helps anybody. With the windows up I seem to get a lot of whistle sound coming from that location aswell. I know turbos make a sort of sucking sound but this is too loud.

The car is an S15 Silvia

Thanks all.

Rides
    Could be a gasket leak, could have cracked the manifold or something, could have just worked a bolt loose.

Start it up from cold and feel around with your hands to see where the gas is escaping from.

Rides
    Got a better look at it today and its blowing like a boss out of the square shape gasket just after the manifold. Are there any tips with getting to this? It seems pretty impossible to get to all 4 nuts to seperate it from the turbo. Guessing the whole lot has to come out?

Rides
    You won't get it off in position as the nuts have locking tabs

I've just done the same job and it's a bastard just to change a gasket I removed the turbo and manifold in one piece and did it on the bench

Rides
    Thanks for that, looks like ive got this weekends plans sorted haha

Rides
    Get lots of spray on the head to manifold studs and do it lots of times over a couple of days

Rides
    And get new locking tabs. Also get braided water and oil lines if You don't already have Them...

Rides
    When I did mine a couple of weekends ago I ended up fitting the braided oil/water lines tubular manifold and fitted a flexi in the downpipe so seemed expensive for a gasket but seeing as it was all coming off anyway it seemed a good time to do it as I was gunna do it anyway

Rides
    Thanks again for the info, The last owner seems to have put braided lines on it so thats a plus. Is there any particular gaskets I should get? Im struggling to find any from where I usually go for car parts and looking on ebay im not sure what is a good make and what is best avoided.

Sorry for all the questions.

Rides
    Get genuine Nissan ones. Apex, Driftworks and H-Dev sell them. I'd go with Apex as I know they also sell the locking nuts, locking tabs and studs if you need them too. The others might have them as well if you ask. Probably worth getting if you want to do it properly. Also, you will need new copper washers for any banjo bolts you take apart on the water lines. You can reuse them but you need to hold them in some needle nose pliers and heat them up till they glow red with a blow lamp/on mothers gas stove then dunk them in cold water. There is a really good thread by Aitch in the s14 tech section on how to do the job. If its no longer a sticky it should be an easy search. EDIT - http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...g-step-by-step here it is

Enjoy your weekend
    Tim
    Last edited by Random Tim; 26-06-2015 at 10:47.

Rides
    Sorry to ask yet more questions haha. Ive looked on those sites and driftworks seems the one im going to order from. The gaskets state they will fit S13/14 then when I click more info it says t25 and T28 turbos. Will this be the correct gasket? Ill add links below to what im thinking of buying.

http://www.driftworks.com/nissan-oem...t-s13-s14.html
    http://www.driftworks.com/nissan-fit...asket-s14.html
    http://www.driftworks.com/m8-metal-locking-nut.html

The head to manifold gasket looks correct. Thanks again. Very helpful people on here!

Rides
    Head to manifold gasket is multilayer steel and reusable, its rare these fail. The T25 and T28 square gasket is correct

Rides
    Thanks for the confirmation. Parts on their way