Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving an 'off the road' S-Body debate

Rides

Moving an 'off the road' S-Body debate

Bit long winded but sick with me. Had an interesting conversation /debate with a Co-worker the other day about moving my S13. At the moment its still in the previous owners garage which is literally just around the corner, like 30 second drive away. As its been declared off the road ive been pondering how to get it too my garage. Got lots of suggestions, most illegal, drive between two cars etc which im just not going to risk, no chance. However the old boy MOT tester told me that by sticking a number plate from another car on the back of the S13 or preferably a trailer board and towing it with said other car and a solid tow bar it technically becomes a trailer. Obviously i laughed but he swears its legit and when i questioned how id steer the S13 he says i can have a 'steersman' in the S13 to control it. I'm pretty sure hes been drinking wd40 or something but hes adamant this would be totally legal. I'm not going to do it because it just seems too daft to me and there must be a legislation somewhere that says trailers must be road worthy/legal but if I'm honest it has me wondering if it could be done? Anyone have a definitive answer? Thought it would be interesting to hear everyones view on this.
    Oh and for the record im using trade plates to move the S13 legally. 😀

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Rides
    If it's not insured etc. then all 4 wheels have to be off the floor. No towing allowed I'm afraid.

Rides
    Take the plates off, file off the VIN, then get a couple of mates to push it round

Rides
    30 second drive away? i'd just drive it round lol.

Rides
    To be honest I probably would too. Or tow it and plead ignorance should you get pulled.

Rides
    A 30 second drive, yep, I'd drive it too. Or get some mates round and push it.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    If it's got brakes and drives okay I'd likely drive it but wouldn't advise others to do so. If it's only a couple hundred meters then towing it could work although it still isn't legal.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    You can't tow it if it's SORN. Changing the plates to another car would be worse than just driving it IMO.

I can understand the temptation to drive it if it's a short trip, but if something went wrong and you hit someone you would be in all kinds of bother. Worse, if someone hit you and then found out you weren't insured they'd be all over you like a rash to get out of paying themselves (even though ridiculously our laws would protect you).

Personally, I'd stay safe. Get someone to recover it. It's costing me £45 to move a Beetle 21 miles in North Yorkshire next month so it's not going to be bank breaking for you to stay legal.

Rides
    If it is actually 30 secs away and not 5 miles then I would get some mates round and push it, otherwise find someone with a trailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    book it in to a local garage for a pre-arranged MOT, vehicle identity check, or weight or emissions test. And drive it back to your place afterwards ...you will need insurance though

Rides
    If it is as you say 30 seconds away then just drive it or push round.

Maybe have a couple of spotters for the 5-0

Rides
    Book it in for an MOT at a place on the far side of where you want to get it to but tell them it may not make it.
    Have it "break down" when you get to where you want it.
    Cancel the MOT.

...or push it.

Rides
    Legally you should get it trailered.

but in all honesty I'd just drive it round late at night when no-one is around.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nattman View Post
    Oh and for the record im using trade plates to move the S13 legally.
    Maybe I'm misreading this, but if you have trade plates then what's the problem?

Rides
    Yeh i have trade plates now but before i had access to them we were trying to figure out ways to move it legally. That's why i was wondering if anyone had a definitive answer because out of all other suggestions this was one id never heard of before.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post

...or push it.
    not sure pushing it would be legal .... SORNed means it got to be off the road, so not even allowed to park it on the street .... unless you can push it through peoples back gardens, the second it goes on the street it becomes illegal

Rides
    What about using an A-frame? DoT classes the Car and A-frame as a trailer. And Trailer legislation applies

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nattman View Post
    Yeh i have trade plates now but before i had access to them we were trying to figure out ways to move it legally. That's why i was wondering if anyone had a definitive answer because out of all other suggestions this was one id never heard of before.

Ah ok. If it's really on 30 secs, personally I would just drive the damn thing.

Rides
    Trade plates only cover tax, not MOT or insurance. So pointless using those if you've got no MOT. You need to trailer it to be legal. Puting different plates on it would land you in a world of trouble.

Rides
    I think the plates thing that was suggested is just putting the plate of the tow car on the back of the towed car. That's the same as putting a plate for the tow car on a trailer.

We're not talking about trying to pass the car off as having different plates.