Thread: Corolla T Sport - No heat & strange electrics.

Rides

Corolla T Sport - No heat & strange electrics.

Bought this car last week, to run while my s13 is off the road with a suspected blown HG. Unfortunately, it is proving as unreliable as the 200...
    Firstly the brakes were dangerously bad, so I fitted new discs and pads and bled the system. Now I can at least stop.
    A few days ago the engine management light, traction control light and stability control light all came up on the dash. I had a route around the engine bay and found a wire that had been connected to the radiator (I think) to the battery (as far as I can tell). I reconnected it and the lights were gone. But they've reappeared today so I'm thinking maybe it was simply a case of me disconnecting the battery that caused the lights on the dash to disappear temporarily? Also, rather annoyingly, the heater does not work at all and the buttons that control it seem to work intermittently - sometimes a press will work other times nothing. There are clearly some electrical gremlins at play and I am unsure if it is all related??
    Any ideas I really don't want to resort to taking it to the shop, I'm too damn tight!

Rides
    disconnecting the battery for a few mins resets the ecu, that's probs why lights went out
    they came back on when fault was re detected, there is a possibilty that the abs sensors have
    picked up rust from the old discs,the sensors are magnetic so rust/crap will stick to them
    and give false readings and the dash light is triggered by going over 20/30 mph
    the sensors run really close to the pick rings on the shafts so only need a small build up on the end of the sensor

heater fault could be the heater matrix is air locked (possible) or the heater control panel is faulty
    and its not opening water valve for heat/hot setting as I suspect its all electronic control/no cables
    like my Yaris heater set up
    not easy to test if fault is not constantly doing it, maybe try get another panel from a breaker
    as a faster way to fix or at least test it

Rides
    Thanks Andy, yes I was thinking heater matrix as well. I will test it this weekend along with cleaning the abs sensors. This is precisely why I prefer older cars, I hate all this electro-crappery.

Rides
    Damn, it seems this car also comes with one of those alarms that goes off randomly, especially at night! My neighbours must love me.