Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: CrazySx s14a project.

Rides
    Quick update. So I took the car to work on Thursday and all seemed fine at first but then..

Once warmed up the car would drop revs at idle, not boost properly.. kind of stutter and just generally drove a bit shit!

Investigated it today. I had a few ideas on what it could have been (boost leak, sticky actuator, turn up idle?)

But.. I thought I would try the easy thing first and replace the battery.

I check voltage on the old one when I started it up and it was holding a solid 12v when switched off and just over 14v when on. So all seemed well. Then I took it out for a blast and the symptoms reared there ugly head once again!!

Took it home, stuck the voltage meter on it and guess what? It was only at about 13v on idle.

Swapped the battery out and checked again, 14v and over!!

Took the car out again and it was like I remembered her to be! Awesome! No more dropping idle and boosting hard!

So if your battery is old, and you have any of the above symptoms, just change it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    The other thing I checked was the alarm fob. It used to work fine, then became intermittent and then stopped working all together. The red LED would flash like normal so I thought it might be an issue with the NATS.

To be sure I got out the spare fob and guess what? Works like a dream hahahahaha!

New battery for the remote then. So it's been an electric day today. I am starting to fall in love with my beloved Silvia again

Rides
    ok, so it would seem it is not the battery causing this. Very weird as all seemed well after i changed the battery, but today on the way to work the problem re-appeared

Any ideas?

i will also post for help on S14 technical as i am not sure how many people are following me here.

Rides
    Have you tried cleaning the MAF? If it hasn't been used for a while it could just need a bit of a clean could be something as simple as that worth a try and if it isn't that it wouldn't hurt to give it a clean anyway lol

Rides
    Hi Mattie, thanks for the suggestion, but that was the first thing i did. Going to look at cleaning the throttle body too.

Rides
    ok so today i checked for boost leaks and i cleaned the throttle body/butterfly. no luck, the car appears to be the same.

next steps are to clean/change the PCV and change the fuel filter.

Rides
    Lambda, coolant temp sensor not reading right making it overfuel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Could be I guess. I will try change the fuel filter first and clean the pcv as no doubt the lamda ain't cheap and no doubt it will be a pig to remove lol!

Saying that the lamda must be working as I got it through MOT just last week!

Rides
    I thought I would stick a little update in here. I am still trying to sort out my issue:
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=590214

I think it's got to be a boost leak judging by the symptoms. Bought an air pressure gauge to check if and how fast air is leaking out of the system. Will test for this properly in the next week when the weather improves as it may get a little involved.

In the interim I decided to do the VAG coil upgrade to totally eliminate the chances of coil pack failure.

Although the upgrade has not got rid of my issue, I could notice a smoother idle and better throttle response.

Here is a pic of my handy work

I basically used the stock s14 coil loom and threaded an individual extra earth to each coil.

I then bunched them together and earthed them on the throttle body.

I also earthed the original loom earth on the throttle body as just unbolting it alone was a royal PITA!

I will put up some more updates once I have made progress with the alleged boost leak.

After that's been addressed I plan to do some cosmetic work like clean up the engine bay.

I also have new (refurbed) front calipers, disks and pads, braided lines (all round) to go on with fresh ATE200 fluid.

Oh forgot to mention I also did an oil change and filter, although I had only done 1000 miles or less, it had been nearly a year and a half.

I got sick of try to Jack the car level so bought and used this:

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    I thought I would stick a little update in here. I am still trying to sort out my issue:

I think it's got to be a boost leak judging by the symptoms. Bought an air pressure gauge to check if and how fast air is leaking out of the system. Will test for this properly in the next week when the weather improves as it may get a little involved.

In the interim I decided to do the VAG coil upgrade to totally eliminate the chances of coil pack failure.

Although the upgrade has not got rid of my issue, I could notice a smoother idle and better throttle response.

Here is a pic of my handy work

I basically used the stock s14 coil loom and threaded an individual extra earth to each coil.

I then bunched them together and earthed them on the throttle body.

I also earthed the original loom earth on the throttle body as just unbolting it alone was a royal PITA!

I will put up some more updates once I have made progress with the alleged boost leak.

After that's been addressed I plan to do some cosmetic work like clean up the engine bay.

I also have new (refurbed) front calipers, disks and pads, braided lines (all round) to go on with fresh ATE200 fluid.

Oh forgot to mention I also did an oil change and filter, although I had only done 1000 miles or less, it had been nearly a year and a half.

I got sick of try to Jack the car level so bought and used this:

Good job on the VAG coil pack conversion. Interested to know how long that took, parts required and rough cost. Can the OEM coil pack cover be refitted afterwards - does it need modifying?

Rides
    Shame your not closer to me, I have a boost leak test kit with a gauge and bung that can test an S14a to a couple of bar no problems, it's great along with a spray bottle of soapy liquid to see where the bubbles appear around which boost pipes etc

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Good job on the VAG coil pack conversion. Interested to know how long that took, parts required and rough cost. Can the OEM coil pack cover be refitted afterwards - does it need modifying?

Hey Alec,

It actually took a lot longer than anticipated, however, there was an element of uncertainty on my half, and i didn't want to get it wrong.

I used these threads to help me:
    http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-ma...t-t341502.html
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...oil-conversion
    http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=624406

also added to this:

http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...tion-amp-plugs

Once i knew what i was doing, i would say it took me about 2 hrs.

if you have most of the stuff and you are no stranger to soldering/wiring, then its not hard.

For the coil pack wiring loom you would need:

Soldering Iron
    Solder
    Insulation Tape
    Heat Shrink
    Ring connectors ( i used a battery terminal)
    Knife
    wire snips
    wire crimper
    wire stripper
    wire sleeve

Can't really put a price on the above as i already have most of it.

Coils approx £100 depending on where you get them

Loom plus bits approx £50 depending on where you get them.

If you didn't have to buy any tools, i would say you could do this for £150 or a bit less including the coil packs.

As for the coil pack cover, it is advised not to use it, as the coils get hot so best to be left to air. Besides these coils are too long and would not fit under the cover. I am led to believe the shorter black VAG coils perform the same and can fit under the cover.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JC SX View Post
    Shame your not closer to me, I have a boost leak test kit with a gauge and bung that can test an S14a to a couple of bar no problems, it's great along with a spray bottle of soapy liquid to see where the bubbles appear around which boost pipes etc

Thanks mate, much appreciated. I think i have now gathered all the bits i need to test it properly. I tested it without a gauge last time, and i didn't pump it to 1bar. You live and you learn i guess.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Hey Alec,

It actually took a lot longer than anticipated, however, there was an element of uncertainty on my half, and i didn't want to get it wrong.

I used these threads to help me:
    http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-ma...t-t341502.html
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...oil-conversion
    http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=624406

also added to this:

http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...tion-amp-plugs

Once i knew what i was doing, i would say it took me about 2 hrs.

if you have most of the stuff and you are no stranger to soldering/wiring, then its not hard.

For the coil pack wiring loom you would need:

Soldering Iron
    Solder
    Insulation Tape
    Heat Shrink
    Ring connectors ( i used a battery terminal)
    Knife
    wire snips
    wire crimper
    wire stripper
    wire sleeve

Can't really put a price on the above as i already have most of it.

Coils approx £100 depending on where you get them

Loom plus bits approx £50 depending on where you get them.

If you didn't have to buy any tools, i would say you could do this for £150 or a bit less including the coil packs.

As for the coil pack cover, it is advised not to use it, as the coils get hot so best to be left to air. Besides these coils are too long and would not fit under the cover. I am led to believe the shorter black VAG coils perform the same and can fit under the cover.
    Thanks for all the info. I will look to do this at some point.
    Ideally, if like to refit the coil pack cover so I will look into the black coil packs.

Rides
    Ok in order to keep everything in one place and let you know that I have been doing stuff please see as below:

In addition to this I have fitted another hot pipe coupler and tried a different dump valve too.

Rides
    Once this annoying issue is sorted I will start doing some more exciting stuff.

Front brakes
    Lines
    Fluid
    Tidy up engine bay
    Change gearbox oil (MT90)

To be honest I have loads of stuff lined up but I don't think the car deserves it til it starts behaving lol

Rides
    Today I lubed up the springs on the throttle body with motorbike chain grease.

Rides
    Then I started looking at putting the coil pack cover back on.

Rides
    It's a bit high on the front and a little high on the rear.. but I reckon the rear will squeeze down as it's just the loom.

As for the front there is a little gap. In two minds whether to get some sort of insulation and fill it or leave it (screwing the cover down but leaving a gap using some sort of spacer) this would allow air in to keep them Cool, but at the same time could let water in??

Any ideas appreciated..

Rides

CrazySx s14a project.

I would just glue a few washers to all of the lugs and leave it up a little. From new there is an O ring glued around it too.