Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boomerang Mounts

Rides

Boomerang Mounts

Is it safe to drive the car without them on?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    from what i gather its only ok to remove them if you have solid subframe bushes

Rides
    ok, let me put some perspective on it, i have removed them to clean up rust, i have put the subframe nut back on. Now say i wanted to drive the car for 5 miles to get to the welder, is it ok?

Rides
    It'll be fine. They're just lateral stabilisers. The worse condition your bushes are in the worse it'll be. But 5 miles I wouldn't be worrying.

Replace your bushes as a matter of course anyway

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    It'll be fine. They're just lateral stabilisers. The worse condition your bushes are in the worse it'll be. But 5 miles I wouldn't be worrying.

Replace your bushes as a matter of course anyway
    Thank bud! Any recommendations on bushes?

Rides
    I've not had them on for ages, they are made of nothing and when I put a gun on mine to undo the nut just tore half the body off with it because it was rotten

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpbike View Post
    I've not had them on for ages, they are made of nothing and when I put a gun on mine to undo the nut just tore half the body off with it because it was rotten
    This is what I am trying to avoid lol! So you have noticed no difference without them?

Rides
    I've not been running mine for the past 4-5 months. I run driftworks polybushes and the shape of the bush at the bottom doesn't accept the shape of the boomerang correctly, as they are designed to fit up in the hollowed out bit of the stock rubber bush.
    You can fit it on, but im not sure theres any real benefit to running them with polys/solid mounts at all, especially given the monkey metal they are made from! You could fabricate a thicker brace to make use of the threaded holes/subframe stud, to suit the flat bottom of the poly or solid bushes, but that's much more work than I can be bothered to think about!

Can't say I've noticed any minuscule difference whatsoever in how it feels, but I do have all DW adjustable arms/polybushed subframe, knuckles etc. so whether you'd feel a difference with stock bushes and arms, I don't know, but even that I doubt.

Rides
    I drove mine for 5 months before i took it somewhere for a welding quote and both sides wern't attached in 2 places.. due to rot lol!

So i cannot see how removing them is going to cause an issue.. especially since its for a 5 mile journt.

Rides
    Mine went in the bin long ago. Any poly or solid bushes will be fine. I've got DW bushes and they do everything expected of a lump of polyurethane

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by joeshaw123 View Post
    I've not been running mine for the past 4-5 months. I run driftworks polybushes and the shape of the bush at the bottom doesn't accept the shape of the boomerang correctly, as they are designed to fit up in the hollowed out bit of the stock rubber bush.
    You can fit it on, but im not sure theres any real benefit to running them with polys/solid mounts at all, especially given the monkey metal they are made from! You could fabricate a thicker brace to make use of the threaded holes/subframe stud, to suit the flat bottom of the poly or solid bushes, but that's much more work than I can be bothered to think about!

Can't say I've noticed any minuscule difference whatsoever in how it feels, but I do have all DW adjustable arms/polybushed subframe, knuckles etc. so whether you'd feel a difference with stock bushes and arms, I don't know, but even that I doubt.
    They didn't work with my powerflex bushes either, what I did was put the big metal washer up against the bush with the boomerang under that, any bracing is worth keeping IMO.

Can just make it out in this picture
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    On Mapboy's car the boomerangs were bent, presumably from knackered standard bushes. They're not really sturdy enough to make any difference. Maybe with standard bushes they are, I suppose there must be a reason Nissan fitted them, but as soon as you fit poly or solid subframe bushes there's such little movement I can't see that they would make any difference. I snapped the bolts for mine too, so never refitted them. And on my new car the bolt holes for the boomerangs have been chopped out and welded up.

Rides
    Mine is exactly like your picture Chris.

Rides
    So moral of the story is uprate my bushes! What brand and where to get them?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Any will do. I went for powerflex black series in the end
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Are they hard to change? Can I do them in situ?

Rides
    its a subframe off job

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    As above. Definitely a subframe off job. It's not too hard though tbf.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    So moral of the story is uprate my bushes! What brand and where to get them?

Driftworks, Apex, Energy Suspension or Powerflex. I dare say the black series are a bit stiffer than the rest. Any will be a huge improvement over standard bushes though.

Subframe off, burn out the old rubber then hacksaw through the 2 steel collars. You just need to make one cut in each then bash them out with a chisel and they'll fold in on themselves. Or pay a garage to press them out.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Get the bushes before cutting anything out. Some need the sleeve left in.