Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drag racing set ups

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides

Drag racing set ups

I've done one drag day (in the wet) and I already want more. Anyone on here drag race regularly got any advice and tips?

I'm thinking.

.Running 17's with grippy tyres and decent sidewall
    .winding the stiffness on the rear coilovers right down
    .lower tyre pressures (20-25psi?)
    .Bigger fmic and map check so I can run high boost
    .auto diff

I'm currently running 360ish bhp in low boost and have rltc with launch control set up and working well in the dry.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    What ratio is the auto diff?

Wind the shocks down is a start as you want the rear to squat when launching.

Wide tyres more contact with the road so maybe oposite to your stretch would be good.

Pinmans front bumper that's for sale as the air dams are sealed. As many drag reduction aero items as you can.

Rides
    Front as hard as you can get it, rear as soft as you can get it, fat tyres, low pressures, 0 camber on the rear. Thats the easiest way of changing nothing on the car.

Auto diff yes, but if too short then you may sacrifice the 60ft more because the revs may rise too quickly for traction as you've got good power.

No rear spoiler and things that'll reduce drag.

I always run with the heaters on because when you're in the queue heatsoak will be a factor. Every little helps. I also always push the car down the queue with the bonnet up and heaters on as far as i can until i need to jump in and drive onto the start line.

Not too big a burnout but enough to put a bit of heat in!

Don't try and race the lights or the guy next to you if you're going for times. Just focus on yourself and get the best launch you can, reaction time doesn't count for your terminal time

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Thinking of 225/45/17 on an 8j and a soft compound track day tyre. Camber on the rear is already at zero

Will keep the current diff and see how it goes.

Good tip on not racing the lights. I was trying to do this yesterday but if I wait I can build more boost for the launch
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Does your rltc have the full throttle shift function?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Not at the moment no. Not sure if it can be retrofitted?

Rides
    Standard rear struts and springs is the way to go rather than coilovers.
    Positive camber aids traction on launches when the car squats but is a bit drastic unless you are going full drag spec
    I'd avoid slicks unless you are running a stronger gearbox.
    Run between 10 and 15 psi in your rear tires
    Don't strip weight out of the back as it aids traction on the launches
    Practise, practise, practise! Don't rely on the launch control to give you perfect launches every time, just nailing it and dropping the clutch doesn't always give you the best launch. Sometimes you need to bring the clutch out progressively during the launch!
    A big chunk of you time gained is in the first 60ft so it's best to ace that before going for more power

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    My 60ft times were poor yesterday as it was spinning up in the wet, in the dry the launch control is pretty impressive tbh, I've only managed to match it once on my own in the dry.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    My 60ft times were poor yesterday as it was spinning up in the wet, in the dry the launch control is pretty impressive tbh, I've only managed to match it once on my own in the dry.

Rides
    Probably launching too hard then, start off granny launching and work up instead of launching with tons of boost and spinning the tyres the whole time.

Spinning ain't winning.

Rides
    Get yourself a pair of 16's and shod them with some Mickey Thompson drag tyres

Rides
    What coilovers have you got?

Just a thought, but you could buy another pair of rear shocks and get them sprung / valved a lot softer than usual and swap them over. Then you have a good setup for the road and then another good setup for the track.

A faff, but it only takes 10 minutes a side to change the whole unit anyway.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Only issue with swapping shocks etc is that it'll mess my alignment up. I'm currently running hsd hr's which are quite stiff.

I only use launch control a couple times at the weekend as its set up for the dry and as a bit to aggressive for the wet.

Rides
    Buy yourself a gearbox. You're going to smash yours to pieces launching from it. Interested to see how you get on.

Rides
    This thread makes me happy! I can't wait to get back to the strip either!

Chris, I wouldn't get 225 width tyres. Get 255 at least!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Buy yourself a gearbox. You're going to smash yours to pieces launching from it. Interested to see how you get on.
    I'll be looking in to an upgrade at some point but finances are going towards something else currently. It's a concern but hopefully last a while as it'll only be a couple events a year.

Quote Originally Posted by fridx View Post
    This thread makes me happy! I can't wait to get back to the strip either!

Chris, I wouldn't get 225 width tyres. Get 255 at least!
    The wheels I have are 8j so will go with the max width suited for that width I know the semi slick style tyres tend to be wider than normal tyres.

Rides
    Agree on as wide tyre as poss. Take some preloaded of your Springs too to let the shock move further.

What's the smallest wheel you could fit at the rear to have a larger sidewall?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Only issue with swapping shocks etc is that it'll mess my alignment up. I'm currently running hsd hr's which are quite stiff.

I only use launch control a couple times at the weekend as its set up for the dry and as a bit to aggressive for the wet.
    Not necessarily, if you're swapping out to something with a softer rate but it's set at a touch higher then over the range of travel you want it will behave just fine without having to change alignment. Unless you're running bags of camber at the moment.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewaysfun View Post
    Get yourself a pair of 16's and shod them with some Mickey Thompson drag tyres
    ^^^ This ............ and loads of practice

3rd Overall 2016 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    7th Overall 2013 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    8th Overall 2012 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    9th Overall 2011 JDS Street Class Santa Pod
    2nd Overall 2010 Prostreet drag series Shakespear County Raceway
    4th Overall in street class 2010 HKS drag series Santa Pod
    2nd Place TOTB IX RWD Drag Shoutout

Best 1/4 Mile ... 10.96 @ 132mph Santa Pod October 2nd 2010

Rides
    Hmm drag tyres + stock box + launch control = ..... have a guess lol.