Thread: What power can an auto box handle?

Rides

What power can an auto box handle?

As per the title really, what power can an automatic gearbox handle?

Rides
    the 200 'box has a smaller forward drive clutch pack/drum than the 300zx TT 'box and they fail at stock powers/low miles
    so imo stage 2 ish 280 hp it won't last long till the drum pops and it looses all forward drive
    some have used them and they have lasted many miles well over 100k on near stock power/basic mods
    someone on here had one and he was reving it to 5k and dumping it into D to get a good launch at a drag strip
    it lasted a while but it did break iirc, if you need an auto 200sx,like you can't run a manual box
    the supra has a strong 'box that can handle power like over 800 whp for a fair while, 600 would be very reliable/longer lasting
    so just swap in the 2jz and autobox, or sr20 > supra autobox with an adapter plate?
    not sure how strong the 'box on the back of 1jz fare, afaik same as landcruiser so probs pretty good as a cheaper option

Rides
    auto box from a Nissan VH45 engine is a fair fat thing, have to find one in US though but I think they can be mated to an SR quite easily, possibly just swapping the bellhousings

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    I ran 230ish through the standard 85k auto trans and knackered 2nd gear by cooking the fluid and not then being sensible and foregoing "just one more run" New setup has a big ass cooler in it to hopefully stop that happening again.

Note that I will post on every auto related thread: S15 auto boxes don't fit on S14 SRs for no reason other than Nissan were being stupid one day!

Rides
    Heat is the biggest killer of autobox's imo,second to water ingress from water coolers bursting internally
    or the cooler tube in the engine coolant radiator splits/burst's and mixes ATF into the coolant and vice versa
    so I always recommend a separate surface to air cooler,big as possible, you can't overdo the size tbh
    massive operating temp drop,more capacity of fluid,and no chance of water ingress
    only need 2% of water in the ATF and the box is toast, if the fluid is going like strawberry milkshake it is dead
    and will fail/loose all forward drive very soon as the friction material is stuck to the plates with a water based glue

Drain the old fluid and swap filter/pick up for new and refill with fresh ATF can do nothing but good things
    but some cars have some stupid level tube system BMW (ZF boxes) with their level tube idea,VW audi have same idea on some
    so no dipstick to check fluid level and its a faff to check them via the level tube idea
    and to refill it needs a pump dispenser with a hose to get the fluid back in after changing it
    so check before draining the fluid, some (most)main stealers will charge lots for the work so if you can DIY your save many ££££'s

interested in the bit about the 15 has a different 'box to the 14/14a's, is it a newer version of the RE4 R01a?
    or similar to what the 350z has ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    H
    interested in the bit about the 15 has a different 'box to the 14/14a's, is it a newer version of the RE4 R01a?
    or similar to what the 350z has ?
    Not sure. The splines on the input shaft are different so it just won't fit

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant teSte View Post
    Not sure. The splines on the input shaft are different so it just won't fit
    Was it off an N/A car?

Rides
    Spec S S15 IIRC so yeah.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk