Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 'Power Daily' Purchase Help - £12k Budget

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by wutang200 View Post
    260bhp, 0-60 in 6 secs, FULLY loaded, 54mpg combined, 45mpg around town, £130 tax! Currently the fastest of the bunch and most fuel efficient if you exclude the 335d.
    Those are book figures, right? Will it **** do that

Rides
    Nice!

Hmm I'll have to think about it then. I just feel like it's more of a pipe and slippers car as I know quite a few of my mates Dad's that own them lol

I've increased my budget to £15k now and the F10 is currently the top contender.

260bhp, 0-60 in 6 secs, FULLY loaded, 54mpg combined, 45mpg around town, £130 tax! Currently the fastest of the bunch and most fuel efficient if you exclude the 335d.
    Drive an F10 and drive an XF both before making your mind up then

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by munkul View Post
    Drive an F10 and drive an XF both before making your mind up then
    I'm sure the XF drives wonderfully but not the image I'm going for. Maybe an E class Merc at a push.

Rides
    Lulz, an XF is too old but an E class is fine?

Rides
    The xf surly has more street cred than a Spanish taxi

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Lulz, an XF is too old but an E class is fine?
    Haha definitely not after seeing them. Would more or less attract the same kind of older aged retired dads.

F10 is probably my safest option or the Audi so I'll test drive them both and take it from there.

Rides
    5 series, E class and XF are all luxo barges so all attract middle aged men.

Jesus, you have (or had) a 200 which is a nobhead drifters car so you cant be too worried about image
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Haha definitely not after seeing them. Would more or less attract the same kind of older aged retired dads.

F10 is probably my safest option or the Audi so I'll test drive them both and take it from there.
    So what you are saying is you need a car that attracts young men not old men ?

XF-S is not an old man's car any more than a Panzerwagen.

This is starting to look like yet another "This is the car I want. Tell me I'm right" threads.

Well, you're wrong

Buy a white one and slap a set of black wheels on it.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01601140085640

Rides
    And have you seen the e class in real life? It's a proper tacky crappy fest compared to the jag inside, same for the beemer and it's sea of plastic.

The jag interior is a work of art be comparison

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Its like a sw@nky cocktail bar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Dear God!!! What's happened to this board???

We used to lynch people for the sort of idle chat that goes on here these days

Suggest a horrid diesel auto boat??? Someone hand me a pitchfork and for heaven's sake someone get lighting those damn torches this very instant

LOL
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    Going to have a gander at this XF-S tomorrow...

Rides
    Good grief ! Leave some money to one side to fix the abominations that are masquerading as wheels

Otherwise, they're quite nice cars. Hopefully, he has installed fluffy dice and chequered cloth seats inside.

Rides
    Yeah, have already looked for alternative wheels and have found some candidates.
    They are stock issue wheels though and there is some demand for them, so would look to sell / swap.

Rides
    Right, reason I don't want the Jag or even mentioned it in my original post is because:

-as mentioned the old man looks which I guess is down to personal taste, I know quite a few gentlemen in their mid 40's at my work who drive them
    -road tax is £205 compared to the German rivals which are just £130
    -not too keen on the design of the headlights on the models that are in my budget but I do really like the facelift ones (look way more aggressive)
    -Seem thirstier (on paper) around town compared to the German rivals

Not saying they're bad cars or anything, but just not my cup of tea. I know a lot of mpg related stuff is subjective and varies on how the car is driven etc but I don't really wanna take a gamble as I do quite a lot of mixed driving.
    Last edited by wutang200; 05-02-2016 at 16:06.

Rides
    The 5 series and the Audi A4 are the ones I've got my crosshairs on at the moment. I also quite like the sharp looking Lexus too but they come with just under 200bhp which is a bit weak although seem very impressive on fuel economy.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    I love the XF but I wouldnt have one for a good few years yet, know exactly where youre coming from.

Looked at a 123d? Much smaller and hence a bit more fun than the panzerwagons
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    I love the XF but I wouldnt have one for a good few years yet, know exactly where youre coming from.

Looked at a 123d? Much smaller and hence a bit more fun than the panzerwagons
    Have done but they're a little on the small side for cabin space. Looking more at a well handling saloon with decent power. I won't be remapping/modifying it in any way. It'll stay completely standard. I've still got my S15 for weekend fun for now.

Rides
    I bought a new 5series dieseasel estate in april. Looked at the Jag sportbrake, basically same price rrp but feck all deals, whereas BMW offered good discounts from the off. 5 series comes with most of the niceties as std, which many of the others I looked at Mercs, Audis often didn't.
    check you fit in them, I looked at a new C class and the seat wouldn't really go low enough, shame as rest nice, but small inside (not as small as a 3 series though!)
    my two penneth--like the E Class, proper barge and great sized boot, good for towing too (need boot and towing for hillclimber and trailer). Audi--A4 nice, A6 bland--yuk! preferred a top end Mondeo thank you, and fwd so crap for towing and Quattro option is significantly more expensive.

as for Jag interior vs BM, Merc etc, to be fair ive done 21k and it still looks new, despite a 5 & & yr old who do their best to batter the shit out of interior or coat it in drinks/food. I use it for work so it has to earn its keep. 5 mins with hoover and interior wipes and its showroom, the more leather your have the longer the valet process (I hate cleaning cars too!)

I have a pathological hatred of auto boxes, probably due to the fact that my old boy always had auto range rovers, but I drove both manual and auto 5 series and ordered the auto. Its juts better in every way than the manual. 8 speed ZF box (think Jag use same one too actually), its a peach, uber smooth and efficient on one hand, aggressive in sports mode, and ideal in manual mode for trailering (hold gears longer on downhill to get engine braking). That said the auto was dearer, about 1800 quid rrp, BUT after 3 years that will be revesred and the manuals are worth about the same again LESS than their manual counterparts, so a net difference of 3.6k over 3 years, the manual would be the cheaper used buy. One of my friends is BM dealer Principal and told me they hate trade in 5 series manuals as they \are so hard to sell!! (obviously this is on 'normal' diseasels, not performance cars such as M5s lol)

try tall on your list, I was amazed at how different they were and how much I disliked some of them. I didn't try a Lexus but Alan Partridge has screwed Lexii for me forever, could never bring myself to buy one! lol
    Last edited by CNHSS1; 05-02-2016 at 17:14.

Rides
    I've looked at the C Class and drove it. The drive was ok but thought the interior was a bit bland.

BMW 5 Series Interior:

Mercedes C Class Interior:

Audi A4 Interior:
    Last edited by wutang200; 05-02-2016 at 20:23.