Thread: Loose wiper linkage

Flamethrower
    Rides

Loose wiper linkage

Just noticed that the passenger side wiper doesn't sit flat with the screen, it's lifted slightly.

Upon further inspection I found that the wiper isn't loose on the spindal, but the whole spindal is loose. BUT the wiper still moves on sync with the drivers one.

Any ideas what it could be?

Rides
    I had to replace the spindle/pivot on my passenger side wiper on the S14.
    Mine squeaked loudly, and after several changes of wiper blades, I eventually realised the pivot was worn out and creating the noise.
    IIRC I paid about £25 from Nissan, but that was a few years ago now. Wiper parts seem to be either unavailable or scary price these days from dealers.

The two wipers will still move together if their connecting rods are intact.
    A floppy worn out pivot will probably cause faster wear in the rods.
    In the past, it has been more common to hear reports of connecting rod joints wearing out. Very common.
    Worn out pivots does happen (it did to me) but is rarer.

Rides
    Worn out pivots is common on S13s and becoming much more common on s14s as they age.

Do a search as there are some quite informative posts about where to get the bits and how interchangeable they are.

I did the ones on NeilF's old S13 when I had it, sourcing the parts from Aiyama in Japan. Details and pictures are in the middle of my ownership thread for Neil's car.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...car&highlight=

Rides
    Hi just seen your ad in the wanted section, trust me you dont want to be using second hand bits unless they are very new as most will be as worn as yours.

New centre pivot which is the one that takes most strain isnt too expensive to buy new

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Okay cheers

Rides
    The picture in the thread I linked to will show you want a worn one looks like vs an unworn one.

The plastic sleeve should have a round hole but the hole goes oval which allows the blades to turn over and not wipe the screen effectively/quietly.

If yours is slopping about, it may be a problem with the three retaining studs that are pressed into the edges of the sleeve. If they have broken, then its dead.