Thread: Router Choice

Rides

Router Choice

I want a new Router for home and looking at the Draytek Vigor 2860N

I want something that will do proper Port Forwarding (PAT / Port Redirection) it seems Sky's SR101 Router's won't do it properly.

These any good?

I'm not sure I can replace the Sky Router completely as it's Fibre Broadband, but what I was thinking was having 2 levels of NAT

So be like Internet >>>> Sky Router (NAT) >> 192.168.0.0/24 >> Draytek (NAT) >> 10.0.0.0/24

Sky HD Box would still plug into the Sky Hub, but everything else would be behind the Draytek. Now I believe the Draytek does 1 to 1 NAT, so does this mean it assigns an individual NAT IP Address per device behind it?

Do you think this would work?

Edit: With regards to PAT, I want to redirect inbound port 443 to 32400.. Sky's crappy Router won't do this, it'll present 32400 externally and 443 externally, but it won't translate Port 32400 to be 443 externally.. In a nutshell, I want Plex to be running externally on Port 443 (Plex is fixed to listen on Port 32400) so I can sync when I'm at work (Port 32400 is blocked, but 443 isn't)
    Last edited by Asht_200; 04-02-2016 at 22:27.

Rides
    Could you get the port you want opened at work, maybe if you had a static address for your home router, and asked them to at least just open the port for that range? Not sure if possible but worth a try depending how well you are in with the security team?
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    I bought a TP Link Archer C9 for under £100 last year and it's been ace. Works happily with my OpenReach fibre modem, and Port forwarding works perfectly (I'm currently forwarding what is presented as port 80 externally to something in a much higher range internally)
    I don't have a static IP, but use FreeDNS with an updater running on a Raspberry Pi updating it with my public facing IP every 10 minutes, so other than the occasional drop out, works really well. Currently using it for a RPi based security camera system

Note: If you do end up with an arch C9, there's an irritating bug that means you need to turn off the 'NAT boost' function for port forwarding to work properly. It's a good, solid, reliable router though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Could you get the port you want opened at work, maybe if you had a static address for your home router, and asked them to at least just open the port for that range? Not sure if possible but worth a try depending how well you are in with the security team?
    Unfortunately, Network Security is probably the most important thing to work.... absolutely no chance of that

Rides
    We have a 2860 here... works well, does much more than I understand what to do with! I'll PM you...

Also, you can just bin the Sky one, you dont actually need it to use their broadband, I have Sky broad(ish)band at home, and dont use their router, I use a TDW8980 and then have an 8 port switch next to all my plugin gadgets.

*Edit: Your inbox is full, clear some space or pay up your membership so I can PM you

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I bought a TP Link Archer C9 for under £100 last year and it's been ace. Works happily with my OpenReach fibre modem, and Port forwarding works perfectly (I'm currently forwarding what is presented as port 80 externally to something in a much higher range internally)
    I don't have a static IP, but use FreeDNS with an updater running on a Raspberry Pi updating it with my public facing IP every 10 minutes, so other than the occasional drop out, works really well. Currently using it for a RPi based security camera system

Note: If you do end up with an arch C9, there's an irritating bug that means you need to turn off the 'NAT boost' function for port forwarding to work properly. It's a good, solid, reliable router though.
    Interesting... does it do VPN?

Seems I'm a bit out of date with not being able to use a different Router with Sky Fibre, jus found out it uses MER to authenticate - using Wireshark to get your username and password when you reboot the Sky Hub. It seems I could use the Draytek and bin both the Openreach Modem and the Sky Router as the Draytek supports VSDL

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    We have a 2860 here... works well, does much more than I understand what to do with! I'll PM you...

Also, you can just bin the Sky one, you dont actually need it to use their broadband, I have Sky broad(ish)band at home, and dont use their router, I use a TDW8980 and then have an 8 port switch next to all my plugin gadgets.

*Edit: Your inbox is full, clear some space or pay up your membership so I can PM you
    Cleared

Rides
    I have a 2830 (and a billion bipak) and both do what your asking iirc.
    My 2830 is currently using BT's crap vdsl modem to do the biz with, next router i want a one box setup.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Seems I'm a bit out of date with not being able to use a different Router with Sky Fibre, jus found out it uses MER to authenticate - using Wireshark to get your username and password when you reboot the Sky Hub. It seems I could use the Draytek and bin both the Openreach Modem and the Sky Router as the Draytek supports VSDL
    We do this at work, we have BT Fibre but no BT hardware here, works fine, other than when the fibre drops out.

Other bonus is you can plug in a dongle and have backup 4G, which is nice

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    We do this at work, we have BT Fibre but no BT hardware here, works fine, other than when the fibre drops out.

Other bonus is you can plug in a dongle and have backup 4G, which is nice
    The backup 4G sounds rather cool. Replied to your PM, yes Please

Rides
    Yeah the 4g fall over is well cool although i dont use it, would have come in handy the other night when BT dropped its pants.

Rides
    There is a Draytek guide setting up the 2860N, with Sky, but you need to have a Draytek account (router owners only) to see it

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/gui...er-setup-guide

There's also a post on Sky's forum

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...tek-2860n.html

Anyone with a Draytek account willing to post me the contents of the Draytek guide?

Rides
    I use a Cisco 887 with a Virgin line and a BT xDSL line going in. All traffic routes to the Virgin but fails over to the xDSL backup line within a few seconds, amazing. I(f anyone needs help configuring one just give me a shout as I'm a Cisco CCNP now.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by wutang200 View Post
    I use a Cisco 887 with a Virgin line and a BT xDSL line going in. All traffic routes to the Virgin but fails over to the xDSL backup line within a few seconds, amazing. I(f anyone needs help configuring one just give me a shout as I'm a Cisco CCNP now.
    Hmm, I'd be happy to go Cisco, but the 880 series starts to look expensive compared with the Draytek that pretty much does what I want. Especially when you start to add WiFi etc

Rides
    Agree they're not cheap but amazingly flexible for doing bespoke stuff. Mine only has FastEthernet LAN ports so I've got a Asus AC68u router plugged in but running as a WAP for all my wireless stuff.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by wutang200 View Post
    Agree they're not cheap but amazingly flexible for doing bespoke stuff. Mine only has FastEthernet LAN ports so I've got a Asus AC68u router plugged in but running as a WAP for all my wireless stuff.
    I do like Cisco stuff. But when you add VDSL and Wireless to it

I want a one box solution, I don't have room for a rack of kit where the Fibre terminates

Rides
    I will maybe try and get an account on the dray site later (well likely over the weekend as i have 10 cans of beer in the house and i wont likely be able to focus on the serial no of the router when i get home!)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    I will maybe try and get an account on the dray site later (well likely over the weekend as i have 10 cans of beer in the house and i wont likely be able to focus on the serial no of the router when i get home!)
    Cheers dude

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Interesting... does it do VPN?

No idea. Pretty sure it can from a quick google.
    There's a D9 as well that's a single box solution IIRC.
    I looked at the Linksys/Draytek options but the TP link was about half the price, and if you wish can run DD-WRT very well. I wanted to try it out of the box first.