Thread: Nissan S16

Rides

Nissan S16

http://carsof2017.com/2017-nissan-si...-release-date/

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I'll believe it when I see it
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Does it come without that fugly rear spoiler?

Rides
    Apart from the fact that it's total bullshit, it's a good read*.

*In no way and makes no sense.

Rides
    Nice source

Rides
    It'll probably never happen...

.. But if it does Please give it a manual 'box!

* Looks surprisingly decent!

Watfor(d), but now temp in Stutton, Zuffuk..., then temp in Armitage (Bog centre of the world)... then FINNNALY to Quarry Bonk, Brum!! puff puff.
    Rides

Rides
    The pics in that link are fan made renders, and are in no way official. The rest of the article is also made up so I wouldn't hold my breath, especially given the info in the article posted by BW above me...

Rides
    been hearing rumours for years, a good old petition might encourage them

Rides
    Why would anyone think Nissan would produce a new car in 2016/7 with a 4 cylinder 2.0L engine to only make 200bhp? They did that 25 years ago back in 1991. 280bhp from 2.0L SR20VET, 14 years ago in 2002.

They have a 4 cylinder Nismo RS 1.6L DiG-T that makes 214bhp.

They have a 3 cylinder 1.5L race engine that makes 400bhp.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/28/n...r-race-engine/
    It could easily be "detuned" to 200bhp but would be a retrograde step in engine development as it's lower specific power than the 15 year old 2002 X-trail GT. That made 140bhp/L and 200bhp would only need a 1.43L engine.

Rides
    Comfortably fit 5 adults ! Hahahahahahahah

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Comfortably fit 5 adults ! Hahahahahahahah
    * Japanese adults

Rides
    While it would be great to see an S16, those performance specs are pathetic! "Might be able to beat the BZR to 60"...?!?!? Wow!

Rides
    60kph so 30-something mph

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Nissan Leaf will destroy it over 1/16th mile.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Why would anyone think Nissan would produce a new car in 2016/7 with a 4 cylinder 2.0L engine to only make 200bhp? They did that 25 years ago back in 1991. 280bhp from 2.0L SR20VET, 14 years ago in 2002.

They have a 4 cylinder Nismo RS 1.6L DiG-T that makes 214bhp.

They have a 3 cylinder 1.5L race engine that makes 400bhp.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/28/n...r-race-engine/
    It could easily be "detuned" to 200bhp but would be a retrograde step in engine development as it's lower specific power than the 15 year old 2002 X-trail GT. That made 140bhp/L and 200bhp would only need a 1.43L engine.
    You've wonderfully identified all the reasons my job is getting impossible. Specific output is not the game and should not be the metric by which engines are assessed in terms of performance.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    You've wonderfully identified all the reasons my job is getting impossible. Specific output is not the game and should not be the metric by which engines are assessed in terms of performance.
    Since the first emissions laws were introduced it has been about specific power output. A "clean" engine is an efficient engine, more of the chemical energy in the fuel is turned into power at the flywheel and not let out down the tailpipe or dumped to the radiator. Whatever you do to make an engine more efficient will always result in higher specific power output. I have to laugh at the green idiots in EU that have given everyone an engine technically comparable to what was an F1 engine back when they first passed the CAT laws. They can hardly have thought that their demands for clean cars would lead to the power race we have seen over the last 25 years.

Do you think there will be a demand of new engine designs in 10/15 years time? Or will electric have taken over?

It took 10 years for Diesel to go from 22% to 48% of UK market. I can remember when Diesel was only for Taxi's, black cab or Merc, about 30 years ago?

Airbus are touting the development of a hybrid electric aircraft with around 90 seats. That's about where large regional turboprop (ATR) and small civil jets (Bombardier CRJ700/CRJ900/CRJ1000) are. Single jet (akin to turboprop) generates cruise power to drive E-fans with a battery for peak take off demand. Jet engines are "lifed", so many flights and expensive bits like HP turbine have to be replaced. One flight is usually about 1.2 cycles, with a "cycle" being zero to max take off. So engine will last 6 times longer and reduce running costs.
    http://www.airbusgroup.com/int/en/ne...0c8e7fa~.html#

All it needs is a break though in battery technology between now and 2030 to make them lighter and faster charging and I can see it being game over for all civil jet engine makers. They will then just be makers of "fans". Why carry engine, generator and fuel when a battery could do it all? The motors are already at the required power/kg to match large civil jet engines. Siemens have a 260Kw electric motor that weighs 50Kg, that's the same weight as a 80Kw Nissan Leaf motor. Just needs scaling up a bit, 200 of them = 1 Trent 1000.
    http://www.siemens.com/press/en/feat...or.php?content[]=Corp

I'll be all-right, only got 9 years to go and I work on "sunset" engines that have about 10 years left in service.

Rides
    Your first paragraph is wrong, and it's not emissions that are a concern outside of particulates. Fuel economy is the name of the game and down sizing is not the answer. The demands that are being placed on the turbo to achieve fuel economy do not result in huge specific outputs. But people assume they still will. Boosting systems are getting ever more complex and require hybrid assistance to meet customer demands. Any "performance" engine will likely have an e-booster on it in the coming years.

It's not as cut and dry as you like to make out, there is too many interactions and additional complexity. The aftermarket has it easy but when you have to calibrate and develop for -30 to +50 ambient temp and altitude then things get real messy. I wish it was that simple, it would make my life real easy.

Electric sales won't match combustion sales for at least 15 years. The battery tech is still holding it back. I get the same question at work from hybrid engineers like batteries and motors are new. Ironically they predate the first otto engine by some 30 years...

It's going to happen eventually but electric cars can't be used every where. They don't function at low temperature for instance without requiring a heating circuit.
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 07-05-2016 at 19:48.