Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuchs Titan Race Synchro 75w-90 GL4

Rides

Fuchs Titan Race Synchro 75w-90 GL4

FUCHS TITAN RACE SYNCHRO 75W-90 GL4 is a heavy duty manual transmission fluid for use in manual transmissions including synchromesh types fitted to many high performance cars.

It utilises the latest and most advanced additive technology along with selected fully synthetic base stocks with Ester to provide outstanding thermal stability and excellent corrosion protection. The modern additive technology also provides outstanding load carrying and antiwear performance - protecting driveline components under the most demanding applications and operating conditions.

Designed for use in manual transmissions operating under arduous and high speed applications where an oil of this viscosity and performance level is specified, especially recommended for road going track cars.

This fantastic product is on the shelf and ready to go, simply place an order on our website HERE, don't forget to use your forum discount (usually found in signature) to get an extra 10% off, or give us a call on 01209 202 944 Monday to Friday 8:30-5:30 and we'll be happy to help!

Whilst you're working on your vehicle, you may want to do an oil and filter change with our bespoke Engine Oil and Filter Service Kits - these include the correct amount of the correct oil, and an OEM quality oil filter specifically for your vehicle. Not to mention a free disposable top up kit, consisting of a fold up funnel, gloves and handy wipes.

Until next time, folks

-Oilman
    Use the code SXOC and get 10% Club Discount
    View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
    oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944

Rides
    Interested in this because i always use and trust Fuchs Titan in my SR. Keen to hear how it compares to Redline MT-90?

Rides
    Hi

It's very similar, in that it's an ester based 75w-90 GL4 oil. The advantages the Fuchs has over the Red Line is that it's cheaper and comes in litre bottles, but the MT90 is extremely well proven.

A while ago, we had a few people test this for us and I think out of 7 people, 5 said there was an improvement in shift quality. The other 2 didn't notice much of a difference. It wasn't the most scientific of tests as we didn't know what was in the box before the Fuchs. If there was something for a fiver a litre from a motor factor, I'd expect the Fuchs to improve the shift. If they had MT90 in there, I would expect little difference.

Cheers

Tim

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Is this the correct oil for the sr20 box? I'm useless when it comes to oil specs.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Hi

Yes, it's ideal.

Cheers

Tim

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman View Post
    Hi

It's very similar, in that it's an ester based 75w-90 GL4 oil. The advantages the Fuchs has over the Red Line is that it's cheaper and comes in litre bottles, but the MT90 is extremely well proven.

A while ago, we had a few people test this for us and I think out of 7 people, 5 said there was an improvement in shift quality. The other 2 didn't notice much of a difference. It wasn't the most scientific of tests as we didn't know what was in the box before the Fuchs. If there was something for a fiver a litre from a motor factor, I'd expect the Fuchs to improve the shift. If they had MT90 in there, I would expect little difference.

Cheers

Tim
    Great info, appreciate the reply. Will definitely be trying this the next opie order I do

Rides
    So I've Red Line MT90 and 1st to 2nd isn't smooth till warm so I'll try at some point the lighter weight version of MT 90 , Red Line MTL as it is thinner ( big difference in units of viscosity ) at lower temps and should give a better shift from cold .

MT90 is aptly 90 Centistokes @ 40°C and 15.6 @ 100°C.

MTL is 54.1 Centistokes @ 40°C and 10.4 @ 100°C.

Obviously a gearbox oil has to have the right coefficient but where do we draw the line on what's too thin @ 100°C ?

This will differ for a road car and one that often sees a track and drifting .

So what are the two measured viscosities of Fuchs Titan Race Synchro 75W90 as I can't find it's data sheet ?

Rides
    Hi

The Synchro is 96.5cSt @40C and 14.5cSt @100C, so on paper, it will lead to worse cold shifts, although it doesn't always work out that way. What might be a good option is the Motul Gear 300 as that is 72.6cSt @40C and often improves cold shifts without losing hot protection.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/MOTUL...300-75W-90.pdf

Cheers

Tim

Rides
    Cheers Tim.

So , bit difficult this one to answer , theoretically where do we draw the line for 100°C Centistoke viscosities , pure road , track and drifting ?

Rides
    Hi

I wouldn't look at the cSt rating, it's listed as requiring a 75w-90, so unless there were specific problems, I would just go for a 75w-90. As yours isn't shifting well when cold, going for a 75w-90 that is thin when cold makes sense. Also, when you are looking at oils that are as good quality as the MT90 and MTL, you might well be fine using a mix of the two or even just the MTL as they will offer better protection than basic oils. Unfortunately, it is down to trial and error with that as I don't know of anyone using a 75w-80 in a 200SX box.

Changing viscosity down a bit has been fine in plenty of cars. For example, the M32 gearbox used in a lot of Vauxhalls as well as Fiats and Alfas is well known as being problematic. The standard oil for it is the GM 75w-85, but a lot of people use the Fuchs Sintofluid 75w-80 in it and that is very good for them as it gets around the box better (the issues seem to be caused by oil starvation to the bearings).

Cheers

Tim

Rides
    Motul Gear 300 75W-90 is what I run and it's very good stuff. I didn't like MT90. Felt horrible pretty much all of the time.

Rides
    Like the sound of the Motul.

So Tim your saying Red Line MTL which is a 75W80 is good to go ?

Rides
    I ran the Fuchs for 18 months in my S13 gearbox and diff. It replaced the OEM Nissan oil. It made the 1st/2nd gear changes when cold very notchy.

I then switched to a different 75W90 and its back to smooth changes for me.

I really rate the Fuchs engine oil and I'm sure their gearbox oil offers good protection but I found it didn't play well with a roadgoing S13 gearbox.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Like the sound of the Motul.

So Tim your saying Red Line MTL which is a 75W80 is good to go ?
    Hi

No, I'm saying that some cars are fine with a thinner grade than standard gear oil and as I don't know of people using a 75w-90 in a 200SX, I can't say if it will be fine or not. If you were going to use a thinner grade, the MTL is the one to go for as it's such good quality.

Cheers

Tim

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I ran the Fuchs for 18 months in my S13 gearbox and diff. It replaced the OEM Nissan oil. It made the 1st/2nd gear changes when cold very notchy.

I then switched to a different 75W90 and its back to smooth changes for me.

I really rate the Fuchs engine oil and I'm sure their gearbox oil offers good protection but I found it didn't play well with a roadgoing S13 gearbox.
    Hi

The Fuchs Titan Race Synchro, the one mentioned in the first post of this thread, has only been out a little while, so it wouldn't have been that one in your gearbox. I guess it would have been the Syn 5, Sintopoid or Gear Syn.

Cheers

Tim

Rides
    Hi

No, I'm saying that some cars are fine with a thinner grade than standard gear oil and as I don't know of people using a 75w-90 in a 200SX, I can't say if it will be fine or not. If you were going to use a thinner grade, the MTL is the one to go for as it's such good quality.

Cheers

Tim

75W80 Red Line MTL is good to go.

Rides
    Hi

The Fuchs Titan Race Synchro, the one mentioned in the first post of this thread, has only been out a little while, so it wouldn't have been that one in your gearbox. I guess it would have been the Syn 5, Sintopoid or Gear Syn.

Cheers

Tim
    That's fair enough. I didn't realise the Fuchs Titan Race Synchro was a new formulation. How different is it to the Silkolene Silktran Syn 5 ?

Rides
    Silkolene Silktran Syn 5 got rebranded as Titan Race Syn 5.

Rides
    Which is different to titan race syncro how ?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    one is gl4 standard the other is gl5 so there is a big difference for boxes that use synchromeshs and brass components or something along those lines i did a bit of research on this for my rb25 box as after i put some castrol gl5 sh*t in my box it pretty much ruined it and its noisey as hell now, put some gl4 off the shelf stuff and its miles better, im hoping to go for a better grade gl4 like this or the redline mt90 was the other i was looking at, think nissan specify the gearboxes have to have gl4 in the manual on cars around this era dont quote me on that