Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 - 2016

Rides
    Just seen the news in Sky. Rosberg has announced his retirement from F1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Rosberg has just announced that he is retiring from F1 as of now

Rides
    Shocker aint the word... wow..

Fair play to him though, leave on a high...

Rides
    That's gonna do nothing to appease the flash in the pan and conspiracy theory advocates.

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    How much will Mercedes offer RB for Max?

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

Rides
    With the new rules, I cant see anybody leaving a Red Bull team.

The Ferrari drivers also I think are pretty settled and wont want to move.

Rides
    Do we think that there is a way that Alonso could get out of mclaren? Think that would be interesting to watch

Rides
    If there was anyway for eyebrows to get out of Macca there would be a trail of flame by now...

Button for a year? might be the only option open as all seats are finalised aint they?

Rides
    I imagine there is a eyebrow shaped hole in a wall at Woking right now.

Would be just be Alonsos luck to move and Merc to be uncompetitive in 2017.

I was also thinking poss JB. With a rule change they may need a year of drivers who know how to develop a car.

As arry said, the tin foil hat brigade will be in overdrive

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Bizarre that someone who has been in F1 for so long and been so successful in other series would only be satisfied with just the one championship.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    Bizarre that someone who has been in F1 for so long and been so successful in other series would only be satisfied with just the one championship.
    Nico doesn't have the Ego the others have. His family is very important to him. He probably now wants to enjoy life with them and fair play to him.

I don't get why people don't like him. Button didn't dominate the season when he won. Nico doesn't whine or complain as much as Hamilton. Considering how many times Hamilton has forced Nico off the track and it has been a "Racing Incident" - I think Hamilton lost the championship in Barcelona. It was totally his fault

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Nico doesn't have the Ego the others have. His family is very important to him. He probably now wants to enjoy life with them and fair play to him.

I don't get why people don't like him. Button didn't dominate the season when he won. Nico doesn't whine or complain as much as Hamilton. Considering how many times Hamilton has forced Nico off the track and it has been a "Racing Incident" - I think Hamilton lost the championship in Barcelona. It was totally his fault
    Can't say i disagree with you here, i agree with everything you said mate. I think it was the perfect time for him to call it. He doesn't need to prove anything else to anyone, he's finally out of his dads shadow as a champ, its a good story to join the Hills. And he wants to focus on his family, which i totally respect.

JB for a 1 year deal at merc!

Rides
    I don't get why people don't like him.
    I've no opinion of him tbh, he doesn't come across as any kind of a character most of the time even when something shit happens to him. At least with Hamilton you get a reaction - it really means something to him to prove he's the best there is. Same with the likes of Alonso and Vettel is the current crop. I don't care much for the way Hamilton comes across at times but at the same time that is what makes him a watchable talent.

Can you imagine how different the landscape would be if Vettel had only been satisfied with one title? What about Alonso? Hakkinen? Schumacher? Senna?

I've got a young family myself, I get it completely from that perspective but then at the same time I wouldn't want to spend my entire career proving myself on the biggest stage there is just once and then call it a day. Unless maybe you know in your heart of hearts that you lucked out and you've got no chance of repeating it. Looking at the evidence from this season and his career in F1, you can see how easy it is to draw that conclusion.

Rides
    See I don't. Nico was far more interested in how everything worked, whereas Hamilton was happy to go to the US and party, then come back and say "Show me what you built"

I'd rather go to the pub with Nico than Hamilton. But maybe that doesn't make you a great racing driver, just a great guy. Fair play to him I say

Rides
    See I don't. Nico was far more interested in how everything worked, whereas Hamilton was happy to go to the US and party, then come back and say "Show me what you built"

I'd rather go to the pub with Nico than Hamilton. But maybe that doesn't make you a great racing driver, just a great guy. Fair play to him I say

On the way back from AD Rosanna was sat by a representative from a media company and someone from a major TV channel who were both really chatty, and conversation was entered. Most of it was around JB as the media co had done a piece of him, for obvious reasons, but in discussion they had a huge amount of respect for Lewis, and whilst they weren't nasty towards him in any way, almost nothing to say about Nico at all.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    On the way back from AD Rosanna was sat by a representative from a media company and someone from a major TV channel who were both really chatty, and conversation was entered. Most of it was around JB as the media co had done a piece of him, for obvious reasons, but in discussion they had a huge amount of respect for Lewis, and whilst they weren't nasty towards him in any way, almost nothing to say about Nico at all.
    All you need to do is speak to some members of the Mercedes F1 team at Brackley to how they feel about Lewis lol. Some people like him, some don't, its not unusual. The media are going to prefer Lewis far more than Nico its not difficult to understand why that is.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamRPS13 View Post
    All you need to do is speak to some members of the Mercedes F1 team at Brackley to how they feel about Lewis lol. Some people like him, some don't, its not unusual. The media are going to prefer Lewis far more than Nico its not difficult to understand why that is.
    It would be the same talking to roadies about the band they support.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I personally think its massively selfish to drop this bombshell when all seats have been taken at other teams and not give the right people the opportunity to take his seat. Obviously he wouldn't be retiring if he didn't win the championship but there was no clue as to this happening.

Also think its a bit of a cowardly thing to do, he knows he won by the skin of his teeth and wouldn't retain his title next year.

Hopefully now his lucky championship will just be forgotten about.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky_s13 View Post
    I personally think its massively selfish to drop this bombshell when all seats have been taken at other teams and not give the right people the opportunity to take his seat. Obviously he wouldn't be retiring if he didn't win the championship but there was no clue as to this happening.
    I expect he had a pretty good clue, and he could hardly drop the bomb 2 races ago could he?

As for the popularity thing, I think its just that hes a bit of a nobody compared to big characters like Lewis, Alonso and Vettel. He never showed great promise until the Merc became the clear number 1 car and nearly everyone agrees that Lewis is a faster driver than he is, its almost like he has won this year by default.

As Zepp says, devoting your whole life to something and then giving up immediately as you achieve it isnt really the sort of hero that the public at large are looking for - hes the Chicken Korma, the low alcohol beer, the Kia C'eed - does a job perfectly competently with very little excitement or flair. That said, hes still a World Champion, fair play.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go