Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urgent: Fueltank leak

Rides
    its probably bubbling as its still under pressure. next time you see it doing it, unscrew the filler cap. to see if it sucks like a whore.

there is a breather pipe setup inside the tank which then has a pipe that goes off to the roll over valve.

if the M5 bolts that hold the tank top on are too long they can puncture the top of the tank. ive had them before where they have a strong smell of fuel and traced it back to that.

im interested to see what your solution is as I fitted a 'new' tank a while back and that starts chucking its fuel out on hot days, hence why I suggested the filler cap idea. although I think mine is the roll over valve.

maybe you have trapped the pipe to the rollover valve.

Rides
    I have checked that the screws i fitted haven't pierced through and they haven't.

Rollover valve? Is this the valve that is fixed to the chassis up in front of the tank above subframe?

I did check there was no kinks in any of the pipes but will have another look.

Rides
    Is there someone local to you that you could borrow a pump and cradle from just to eliminate it?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Is there someone local to you that you could borrow a pump and cradle from just to eliminate it?
    Possibly! I am going to run with fuel cap loose and see if it carries on doing it.

If that doesn't work i will go order another £12 o-ring from nissan and try a different cradle and pump.

Rides
    the only real problems ive seen with the O ring is when they swell up. you will know this has happened as it wont fit in the recess in the top of the tank. (it will be to big).

the roll over/check valve is as you say, above the rear subframe.

inside the tank you have some breather gubbins that then goes to the check valve, maybe its that which is buggered.

Rides
    Ok so been driving with the filler cap slightly loose and no leaks!

I did do a short run with the filler cap done up all the way as i forgot to loosen it and when i stopped to loosen it i got a massive whoosh from it.

So it appears my tank is over pressurising, would this be down to the check valve failing?

Rides
    it could be the check valve.
    it could be the pipe too the check valve.
    I also think there is a small pipe that goes upto the filler neck.