Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What quieter exhaust options are there?

Rides

What quieter exhaust options are there?

I have an Apex Performance system on my Silvia but its too loud for track work. I used to have a Mongoose system 2'with the centrebox removed on my old 14a which was perfect at 98db and nice on the motorway. I would have another but the oval tail pipe doesn't suit aftermarket rear bumpers

I have just been into longlife exhausts to see if they will sort me out. They have two options.
    1, make me a larger backbox which may just get below 100db(i need some other work doing to the exhaust too like relocating the resonator into the decat pipe to improve ground clearance and shortening the downpipe
    2, Make me a new Catback system to improve clearance and quieten it down by using 2 3/4 pipework with a larger box.

I already have a stainless elbow, manifold and flexi downpipe fitted.

Does anyone have any pics of a custom exhaust on a 14 they would like to share and what other branded exhausts are out there with great fitment/ground clearance and below 100db?

Things like HKS hi-power silent.

FS: HKS SSQV recirc inserts, S14 eccentric rear arm lockout washer kits

Rides
    I have a blue flame cat back on mine and it's pretty quite I'd say it's Deffo below 100db

Rides
    Wardy recently made a nice custom exhaust for an s14. His quality would be far better than anything longlife could make.

But i'd say go custom, you should be able to get exactly what you're after for probably less or the same as something off the shelf but it'll be higher quality.

My last 2 exhausts have been custom made, i'm going for a 3rd in June as my cars now going the track route i need it quieter!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    There is a twin exit mongoose. The silent hi power is a great exhaust and probably your best bet. How loud is your current exhaust.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Are Blue flame the same as Mongoose?

Wardy's stuff is good but it would mean him needing the car there which is a pain really.

Mine was 105db apparently Chris.

Rides
    Blueflame took over making the Mongoose when Mongoose stopped but generally used a wider diameter pipe.

I thought Apex made a removeable baffle for their exhausts. Have you tried to source one of those ?

Otherwise Hi Power Silent as Chris said.

Rides
    I've got a hks hi power catback, apex mani and 3inch elbow/ twin downpipe, it makes 94db at combe
    Last edited by Davus200; 06-05-2016 at 07:03.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Blueflame took over making the Mongoose when Mongoose stopped but generally used a wider diameter pipe.

I thought Apex made a removeable baffle for their exhausts. Have you tried to source one of those ?

Otherwise Hi Power Silent as Chris said.
    I was going to use a baffle but its too much restriction really so not keen now. If i dont get it sorted for Japday then i will have to.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Davus200 View Post
    I've got a hks hi power catback, apex mani and 3inch elbow/ twin downpipe, it makes 94db at combe
    Thats interesting. Not the silent? Whats ground clearance like over sleeping police persons etc?

SXOC Trader - Walton Motorsport walton_motorsport's Avatar
    Rides
    A good quality rear box in the largest size possible would be worth trying, if that's too loud still then you can always have the rest of the system done. We have a DB meter that we use to measure what we have done (if the customer wants to know that is) the below video shows what a difference can be made although it is an extreme case and is quiet as it can possibly be with that engine/chassis combo due to space.

Rides
    Apexi GT Spec on mine with a de-cat silencer. Static test is just over 90dB

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jon200 View Post
    Thats interesting. Not the silent? Whats ground clearance like over sleeping police persons etc?
    No its not the silent, its got two boxes (back box and central), have seen them with just the one... I've made a bracket for the downpipe to lift it up, and used the jubilee trick on the hanger rubbers to pull it up as far as it will go without hitting prop. Doesn't rub on much except for the huge speed bumps, but saying that my car ia pretty low anyways

Rides
    Thats an impressive reduction. Longlife said they will do a large box and wrap the perf tube with wire wool then use the fibreglass around it to absorb the sound better. Sound right?

How is the clearance on the Apexi GT?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrps13 View Post
    Wardy recently made a nice custom exhaust for an s14. His quality would be far better than anything longlife could make.

But i'd say go custom, you should be able to get exactly what you're after for probably less or the same as something off the shelf but it'll be higher quality.

My last 2 exhausts have been custom made, i'm going for a 3rd in June as my cars now going the track route i need it quieter!
    99% sure you're talking about mine here. got a full straight through with v band join just after the rear subframe for 2 rear exit options. Andy made me shotguns and a backbone with a downturned tip and he read the back box at 86db at 4500rpm. this is with a standard cast manifold fyi. so with a tubular i'm sure it'll go up a bit. i can safely say it'll be under 95db so track legal for near enough everywhere.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jon200 View Post

How is the clearance on the Apexi GT?
    Not bad tbh, I run fairly low and it never scrapes. There's a point near the back before the diff were its lowest which has been flattened but that happened over 10 years ago I can a pic if it helps

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by flannyyy View Post
    99% sure you're talking about mine here. got a full straight through with v band join just after the rear subframe for 2 rear exit options. Andy made me shotguns and a backbone with a downturned tip and he read the back box at 86db at 4500rpm. this is with a standard cast manifold fyi. so with a tubular i'm sure it'll go up a bit. i can safely say it'll be under 95db so track legal for near enough everywhere.
    Have you got any pics of your setup?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Mines an apexi gt spec and wouldn't say it's that quiet if I'm honest. Not sure if mines had a silencer removed though but it still has one so I doubt it.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I was on about yours Flannyyy! Great looking set up you have had made

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Mines an apexi gt spec and wouldn't say it's that quiet if I'm honest. Not sure if mines had a silencer removed though but it still has one so I doubt it.
    You've never had it sound tested?

I think I will need to have a backbox made because of time constraints now. I am hoping to get a track session at combe next weekend.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    There should be 2 boxes in it, one half way and the back box.

Don't forget I've got a decat silencer as well which makes a big difference