Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hmm, looks like I'll be rebuilding my pc...

Rides
    I strongly doubt that the 1080ti will be even remotely decent VFM, none of NVs top end cards have been over the past 2 or 3 gens so this wont be either.
    Add in that Pascal is just a shrink and tweak of Maxwell which struggles with DX12 content and you have a top end card costing the best part of a thousand picture of her Maj (yes just watch this space) with a short life span.

No thanks.

Rides
    I'm not so sure it'll be that expensive, it depends on what you want really, I mean say you got a 980ti when it launched, you'd have an awesome 1080/1440p card that should do you well for a few years at high settings, which is what 90% of people are happy with.

4k is a bit of a different ballgame, just because it's much more demanding and no one's managed to make a card with solid 60fps across the board, and games are becoming more demanding yet we can't play older games (witcher 3 example) cranked to max yet

Rides
    Well the current 1080 is well north of £600 for the ripoff version, the cheaper non founder version will be only 50 quid less so lets say it stabilises at £589 for it.
    The aftermarket 1080s will start at that price as well and go up.

Now the 980ti was roughly 200 dollars more than the 980 and was around about £650 here. So by that measure the 1080ti will be also $200 more than the 1080, or more as we all know what NV is like.
    So your looking at the 1080ti being more than £800 quid for the founders edition and prob £750 upwards for the non founders / cheaper after market ones.

Its likely to be 25% faster than the 1080 when it comes out. So is ~£800 video card thats not dx12 optimised a good deal...

roflol....

Rides
    I'm not really worried about the dx12 stuff yet, there's barely any games using it, and we don't know how it'll evolve, it could kill of several things like sli/crossfire (cause putting that in games devs hands is the dumbest thing ever) but results are so widely varied we have no idea what's going to happen.

we have what? 4 dx12 games in total? Ashes wasn't something I was interested in, tomb raider somehow managed to reduce nvidia performance by about 30%, whilst amd got a good boost in dx12 mode, yet hitman dx12 reduced performance by about 10% for a 390/980 comparison.

seems like games are adopting other APIs now, dooms going with vulcan etc, so I really don't think anyone knows how things are going to pan out, I mean wasn't dx12 being praised for being more resource friendly. making sli/crossfire better with vram stacking, and supposed to be lowering cpu overheads?

and so far we've got 10-30% less fps, gpus being eaten up left right and center, and games like ashes chewing up a 4790k like it's nothing, with the probability that any games using dx12 will have NO crossfire/sli support, or at best a buggy mess because now it's down to game devs that honestly won't give a shit about multi gpu setups

Rides
    DX12 is critical, it will be used heavily in the future. By the end of this year and the beginning of next virtually all AAA titles will be dx12 engines.
    So yeah only a handful out at the moment but its just begun, same with vulkan which is basically Mantle with a different name.

DX12 properly utilised will make a big difference, current titles (bar ashes) are modified engines or patches. Soon this will change.
    The next battlefield will be dx12 and the frostbite engine powering it will be in a lot of stuff.

Rides
    .... and Maxwells dx12 implementation will almost always result in reduction in fps because Maxwell does not support Async compute properly - Pascal ... doesnt seem to either although it should not loose performance at least.

DX12 always seems slower in Nvidias current architectures. the 1080 is only a little faster than the fury x in DX12 tests so far because of its mighty 800mhz clock speed addition.

Hitman was busted on launch was it not? TombRaiders dx12 was also less than working right at the beginning as well. so none can be properly compared.

Rides
    yeah that's kinda what I meant, current dx12 is pretty much borked and inaccurate, it'll be nice to see what happens going forward, but I'm not worried about it atm, tbh nvidia seems to be targeting these latest cards at virtual reality, which seems to be taking off rather well, tempted to get an oculus later this year

Rides
    Overclockers has the cheapest 1080 up today for 619 and the most expensive fan-boi edition for 649...

Ouch.

Rides
    seems they completely sold out everywhere, well had a bit of a chance in my pc.

following from the other thread, I swapped motberboards, still had the issue, then noticed one of the fans stopped spinning at high temperatures (70c) on the 980ti. it worked OK after a result but I've had some crashing in games.

called up scan, basically it needs rma'ing although they've said because it's not old they'll get another in the post to me straight away, followed up by a friend of my upgrading his 960(I think) he offered me 500 for the new one that I'll get back, which is just a few quid cheaper than websites are doing atm.

soooo......ended up ordering a msi 1080 gaming x. tbh I wouldn't have bothered selling my 980ti, but with the cash offer from my friend it's costing me 100 quid (scan offered me 50 quid off because I've had issues with a couple parts in the past)

so yeah, should have it by Friday week, interested to put it through its paces.