Thread: Engine info needed ET/DET

Rides

Engine info needed ET/DET

hi, guys, my poor silvia has been sitting at my mums for the past 5 years with big ends fubbered, and am clearing my garage to actually get it to my house so i can work on it again and get it back on the road.

I currently have the mk1 engine in it, and i want the mk2 engine, mainly because the oil feed for the turbo, as i have a botched one on mine after it started leaking, and its easier to get the later other oil feed as its same as DET engine.

my question is, i only need a bottom end, and for sourcing parts purposes, could i use a DET bottom end with ET inards, I know there would be no benefit power wise, only thing i know of is different are the head bolts, is there anything else that may stop me, just easier to get DET lumps than ET lumps?

Cheers.

Rides
    I could be totally wrong but i think the cylinder heads are different.

Rides
    Why not just go fully det

Rides
    Basic architechture of mk2 ET and DET are the same. You can fit ET crank, oil pump and sump in a DET and then use the 8v ET head, although you need to check head bolt lengths as DET are 11mm and all same length and ET are 10mm and one is an odd length.
    You have to use ET crank so that the 8v cam belt bottom pulley can be retained. To do that you need to use the ET oil pump which needs ET sump. You may need to tickle the DET crank brace slightly as it may catch ET sump, but its only a few mm off wiyh a grinder.
    Use the DET pistoms and rods as they are better than ET, DET advantages of crabk brace and oil squirters as std.

Alternatively you could lob the whole DET in it, and splice the DET ecu and engine loom in to the s12, theres a how to written on s12oc.com

If its just the oil feed to turbo that the issue, you can tap into the oul galleries in the blcok elsewhere or take a tappibg off the oil filter alloy block

Rides
    Thats how it is on the mk1 engine i have, it takes from a t piece on the oil pressure switch, but i think with the botched oil line, it flows to much oil to the turbo, as i believe there is an inline restrictor, that i cut out when it leaked.

I dont want to go full det as i dont want to do to much modding and then risk breaking something else on a 30 year old car.

Seems to be not that easy to pick up a cheap det or et engine these days anyway. Lol

Cheers for the replies.

Rides
    Just fit a restrictor in the feed line, normally they screw into the core.
    Turbo Dynamics sell them as im sure Owens, Turbo Technics

Rides
    I may do that looking at availability, big ends are well gone too, so gonna need some work either way.

Cheers