Thread: Suspension query

Rides

Suspension query

I have replaced my front struts with new Nissan shocks, spring plates and top bearings and replaced the springs with new suplex springs. That should have given me standard ride hight as the S13 would have come out the factory with. However the front of my car now looks like a monster truck. I could probably fit my head in the arch gap with no exaggeration. Is this how they came? Or are the springs wrong? The springs did fit the shocks so I thought they must be right but people are laughing at me.

Rides
    Is it sitting higher than this ? random standard s13 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan...4060403%29.jpg

are they 13 springs for sure?,tbh not sure if 14 front springs are any longer than 13
    14/14a rear shocks/springs are longer than 13 rears, iirc the fronts are near enough same total length
    but chance the spring cup is lower on 14/14a struts with a longer spring?
    not had them side by side but some else may have and will confirm or know

if its not the spring giving it more ride height it could be the top mount central sleeve is longer
    or the shock absorber piston rod machined section is shorter so top mount sits higher
    more likely the spring is longer and/or harder spring rate
    Last edited by ANDY black s13; 25-05-2016 at 01:20.

Rides
    Did it have old but stock shocks / springs on it? No amount of spring "sag" (other than outright spring breakage) will stop the shock extending to it's full length when unloaded. Off the car they should be the same length so you can place them side by side. Both should be the same length from knuckle bolt hole to top mount and have same distance between upper and lower spring perch. If they don't match, that's the problem. If they match then new spring rate is too high, preventing the car dropping enough.

Rides
    That 13 pictured does actually sit quite high so mine might be similar. It's certainly not any lower. I have just found out today that the springs are 376 mm long and according to workshop manual the springs are supposed to be 360 mm long. Will this be making the car sit too high. It is only 16 mm. The old shocks had leaked all their oil out so weren't holding themselves up and the springs were mega rusty so comparing hight I thought would have been pointless. Is there anywhere that states how much arch gap you're supposed to have as it's probably not a good idea to run too high. The springs I bought are listed for S13's but obviously they seem to be too long

Rides
    could micrometer the spring wire diameter to check same thickness as an indication of spring rate
    possibly not easy tho if old springs are mega rusty and new springs may have a thick powder coat layer as well
    Are the coils evenly spaced on the new spring did you notice
    possible the ends of the new spring are not made so the ends sit perfectly flat in the spring cups
    in theory making it longer when fitted to the strut

Rides
    The springs are apparently 16mm longer but if the spring rate is different I guess it could compensate for that and the car could actually be at normal height. I'm assuming if the spring rate is the same then the 16mm will make it sit higher?